cheese lovers rejoice with me

Options
Last night I asked my mom to grab some parmesan cheese on her way over for dinner. She brought a really nice block of it, I usually buy the shredded or grated kind. Anyway, we grated it ourselves and because I had company, I just measured the standard 1/4 cup instead of weighing (like I typically do when I'm using an unfamiliar/ new food). So this afternoon when I went to have some left overs I was floored when I weighed the cheese and discovered it was closer to 1/2 cup for the 1 oz.... HALLELUJAH MORE CHEESE!!!!

I'll probably never buy the pre-shredded/ grated stuff again. I will happily do the extra work if I'm getting more cheese.

Also, yes, I know, it's actually the same amount ounce for ounce... but 1/2 cup looks like a lot more on my meal than 1/4 cup!!!

Replies

• jcartwright2008
    jcartwright2008 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheese!!!! :love:
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    YUMM. I love cheese too.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Cheese is just..... happiness for the mouth.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful news...I love parmesan cheese!!
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    Cheese makes everything better.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am always pleasantly surprised by the weight of grated cheese. It's the only way I eat it now just to feel like it spreads further! Haha. I looooove me some cheese!
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Use that arm muscle, it makes your food taste so much better..
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cheese is joy.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Oh, the bonus bonus is that grating cheese burns 14 calories and builds muscle (which weighs more). Better log that $#!T
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Isn't that just a factor of surface area? Store-bought shredded parmesan is a much coarser shred than I do at home with a microplane. It's not as fluffy or dense.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Block parmesan cheese + magic bullet blender + lid for blender cup = convenience of nasty packaged stuff + taste of lovely fresh stuff.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Oh, the bonus bonus is that grating cheese burns 14 calories and builds muscle (which weighs more). Better log that $#!T

I think you may be reaching...
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Plus the taste is a million times better.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I find the taste of a good parm is so much better that I need less anyways. I always buy it by the block now. I am work the extra $ over the other stuff.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Funnily enough my daughter used to refuse to eat fresh parm, and would only eat the stuff in a plastic tub. Then I started pre-grating it into a plastic container, and now she loves it. Kids man, crazier'n a bag of cats.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Cheese is my drug of choice. Specifically, aged Irish cheddar. The greatest thing ever.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    We have an artisan cheese shop in town.. it's like my own personal crack den...

I love that place.. and they give samples.. free ones of any and all types of cheese or meats you want.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    We have an artisan cheese shop in town.. it's like my own personal crack den...

I love that place.. and they give samples.. free ones of any and all types of cheese or meats you want.

wow i envy you and yes it would my crack den too
  • krs5201
    krs5201 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Also obsessed with cheese. I can't cook with it without snacking on it. I could eat it all day every day. Love it.
    There's also a place here that's a cheese shop/does fantastic grilled cheese from what I hear.

However, I do live in walking distance of Trader Joes and Whole Foods.... and they've both got some great cheeses!!!

It's my weakness. I'm not watching calories so much as trying to pay more attention to what I'm eating. If that means an overindulgent cheese filled meal one day, I'm not gonna feel so bad.

But, I know it can be hard when watching different dietary things.... Props to you all who can portion it out!
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cheese is my BFF.