Estimating calories

Options
Today my grandparents took me to Applewood farm for lunch. I'm not sure how calories are calculated so I couldn't even begin to estimate how much calories I had eaten. To make things more difficult, their portions are huge. Any suggestions on how to calculate?

Replies

• ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I tend to just search the type of thing that I had and work it out off that. Guestimation ;)

Ax
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would look up each item find the highest calorie count of each item and log that. In my opion it is better to estimate high then too low.
  • kdcshesback
    kdcshesback Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would look up each item find the highest calorie count of each item and log that. In my opion it is better to estimate high then too low.

^^THIS!
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just guess. And was this Applewood Farm in Gatlinburg area? I was just there a week ago!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Guestimation based on what you can remember eating...for next time I recommend taking a photo of your plate so you can better calculate later, I do that at places that don't advertise caloric content or that are family style and I'm having a little of everything so that way you are not logging at the table and it's pretty common for people to take photos of their food these days so I dont feel weird :)
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I just ball park it... I might be a little over on some things and under on others..... I think it all evens out in the end. The longer you use the site the better you get at estmiating food potions and cals. Try not to worry about perfection and give it your best guess.... you could always ask the server if he knows the portion size or to check with the kitchen too... most places weigh out their food.
  • runrogerrun
    runrogerrun Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am no calorie export, but this is how I usually figure when I don't have the facts. Calories consumed to end hunger pains - - 400 // Calories consumed to feel full - - 1,000 // Calories consumed to feeling stuffed - - 1,200 - 1,500// Calories consumed to feeling bloated and almost sick - 1,500 and above
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I try to find a restaurant version of the item and choose the one that's most similar. For example, a local bar/grill restaurant has a large turkey burger on a homemade bun, so it's more similar in size and quality to a Ruby Tuesday's or Fudruckers than one from a fast food restaurant.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    What dishes did you eat? Did you eat the whole "huge" portion? Did you check the internet to see if that particular restaurant publishes their nutrition info?

Depending on the meal and how much of it I ate, I usually use the Quick Tools and add 1200-1500 calories. Restaurant meals are loaded with calories, even if you order an entree salad.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If they are a chain restaurant, there is a good chance you can find their nutritional info on their website. Otherwise, just find something similar in the database and assume it's close enough. That's the best anyone can really do. As for huge portions, you don't HAVE to eat it all. Have them box it up and take it home for later. Restaurant serving sizes are ridiculous.
  • Emily_L20
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's the Applewood in Astley. Their website didn't have any nutritional values so I'm going to look up generic ones and add a couple more calories. Going to be harder calculating desert - they make their own flavours ect but I will do my best. Thanks again :)
  • Charlie_Hooper
    Charlie_Hooper Posts: 18 Member
    Options

ditto