Dumb question. . .

Options
So, I am having trouble meeting my calories. I want to be able to do it without exceeding my sodium, and sugar. . .

My diary is public. Yesterday specifically was my big day at the gym. I do about 2-2.5 hours between zumba and boxing. I do this routine twice a week. I ate a TON, felt great, still didn't meet calories.

Any thoughts?? Suggestions? feedback??

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't public
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Usually the problem is trying to eat low fat. Eat full fat dairy products, nuts, avocados, oils...
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Cutting down on processed foods and grain products will help to reduce your sodium intake, as well as the obvious reduction or elimination of adding salt to your meals. If the majority of your sugar is coming from fruit, it's not that big of a concern as MFP doesn't distinguish between sugars naturally in foods and added refined sugars. If you are still concerned with the sugar numbers you would have to cut down considerably on fruits or other processed sources of sugar.

I think an easy way to increase calorie intake is to increase the amount of fat in your diet (add healthy fats such as olive oil, nuts, and seeds to your salads, stir fries, etc. or if you eat dairy, eat 2% or higher greek yogurt) and to eat more calorically dense foods (typically also higher in fat) such as avocados, cheese, etc.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Diary is still private.

Few thoughts without being able to look:
    1. If your sugar is coming from natural sources, fruit for example. Don't worry about it too much. Its when the sugar is coming from candy and cookies that you should be concerned about controlling the snacking.
    2. Sodium is a hard one, I struggle with it too. I try to avoid packaged foods, and instead make more things from scratch adding only enough salt that is sufficient for flavor to the dish. I used to love soup for lunches, but 1 bowl of soup can max you out for the day. I now only have soup every once in a while.
    3. Instead of focusing on a daily over/under of calories, look at it weekly. Some days I am over (normally my rest days) and under on others (workout days), it normally evens out at the end of the week. I have also noticed that when I have a heavy work out that I am less hungry. Do a google search for high calorie HEALTHY foods. There are lots, add those in your meal plan to help boost the intake without eating "more".
  • This_chick221
    Options
    Diary should be public! I just checked, changed it to private, and changed it back to public again to reset??

I have a MAJOR concern with fruit, sugar is sugar for me. I am insulin resistant and can't fool around with fruit much.

Thank you ALL for the feedback!
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    All of these posts are great. I agree, try to eat clean. I struggle with this too. I never realized how many processed foods I eat. I am seeing a dietician now and she is an advocate for olive oil, and believe it or not, real butter. Just eat sensible amounts. Also I've included raw, unsalted almonds to my daily diet. I still have issues with my sugars, but at least I'm paying attention to my daily sugars now, as before I was oblivious. I do still eat frozen yogurt, or angel food cake, but the majority of my sugars come from yogurt and fruit. Per my dietician fruits are great, but if possible eating more veggies is better. I have been making a conscious effort to add olive oil to my cooking. Also, peanut butter and sunflower seeds have become a staple for me.

I usually burn anywhere from 300-500 calories a day in my exercise. I have to really concentrate on refueling my body on my heavy workout days like today. I'm going to the gym after work and will burn a total of 600 calories in all. I'm at my goal weight now, so it's all about maintaining my weight and NOT losing any muscle mass. It's so hard for a chronic calorie counter like myself, to really get this whole concept of eating more to be healthy...but thanks to all of my MFP friends I am on my way to eating healthier. We have to refuel if we want our bodies' to perform well at the gym.

Good luck to all!

:happy:
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    I just peeked at your diary. You're having two sometimes three fruits a day, but only two or three vegetable servings per week. Cut back on the fruit and load up on the veggies. There's a whole world of vegetables to be enjoyed. They have a very low sugar impact on your insulin levels will add some fiber to your diet, as well as a ton of micronutrients you're not getting otherwise. Embrace the veggies! And you can make your own veggie soups. They can be as low sodium as you like, and are simple to prepare.
  • smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble reaching calories as well actually joining this site as an undereater but I find that having a protein shake after my workout adding good fat/calorie dense foods (usually eat half an avocado) each day plus a little snack in the evening--toast with peanut butter, hummus,etc I get closer to calorie goal and continue to lose weight and feel better.
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    I just peeked at your diary. You're having two sometimes three fruits a day, but only two or three vegetable servings per week. Cut back on the fruit and load up on the veggies. There's a whole world of vegetables to be enjoyed. They have a very low sugar impact on your insulin levels will add some fiber to your diet, as well as a ton of micronutrients you're not getting otherwise. Embrace the veggies! And you can make your own veggie soups. They can be as low sodium as you like, and are simple to prepare.

I don't see why she needs to cut back on fruit when she can very easily eat the same amount of fruit while adding vegetables also.
    The OP said she was worried about sugar b/c she is insulin resistant. Which is just shy of being diabetic. May or may not be on meds, doesn't need to take insulin yet, but if the trend doesn't change, she will be diabetic. That's why I suggested trading some of the fruit for veggies. But I didn't say eliminate the fruit all together.