I need some help

Options
Question for you guys...How much sugar are you supposed to have a day.... It seems like almost everyday I am going over, but I will be under in everything else. I have one orange and I am over...Anyone know what I can do...besides not eat the orange...Is it okay to go over on your sugar intake? Sometimes I am also finding it hard to meet my daily calorie goals without going over on things like carbs, sugar, fat, etc. Does anyone have any tips?

My daily info:
calorie goal: 1567
fat: 35
protein: 137
sodium: 2500
sugar:24

I am 5'4 and my starting weight was 202 lbs. Currently I am 182 lbs. My goal weight is between 130-140 lbs.

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that you need to monitor and watch your sugar intake, there is absolutely no reason to worry about it.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Stop worrying and eat you sugar and be happy, you're making things way too complicated.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937860-how-to-lose-fat-for-newbs

Read this^^
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a recommendation for sugar intake. I suggest sticking to just three fruits a day. The sugar in fruit can really add up.
  • jenhanke
    jenhanke Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would at least try to stay within your sugar limits. For most of the USA, sugar has no limits - people don't realize that there is sugar in absolutely everything. I never knew until a couple of years ago, and I was in shock!!

If you eat one piece of bread, you are consuming quite a bit of sugar (especially when you look at how much you're technically allowed per day, here on MFP). A glass of skim milk has sugar in it. All fruit has sugar in it, and acid, and is not necessary to consume in large amounts.

There are definite ways to get around it so that you do not hit your sugar limits. You just have to be extremely mindful of what you are consuming. Canned vegetables, vegetables that are pre-seasoned... they all have sugar, sugar, sugar.

I know this sounds awful, haha. It kind of is awful. And at first it's a huge downer...but eventually, once you 'behave' for a while, you'll be shocked that you can really taste the difference!! At that point it will be no problem (other than pure temptation) to avoid the sugary foods & drinks, or at least have them in moderation. =)
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I would at least try to stay within your sugar limits. For most of the USA, sugar has no limits - people don't realize that there is sugar in absolutely everything. I never knew until a couple of years ago, and I was in shock!!

If you eat one piece of bread, you are consuming quite a bit of sugar (especially when you look at how much you're technically allowed per day, here on MFP). A glass of skim milk has sugar in it. All fruit has sugar in it, and acid, and is not necessary to consume in large amounts.

There are definite ways to get around it so that you do not hit your sugar limits. You just have to be extremely mindful of what you are consuming. Canned vegetables, vegetables that are pre-seasoned... they all have sugar, sugar, sugar.

I know this sounds awful, haha. It kind of is awful. And at first it's a huge downer...but eventually, once you 'behave' for a while, you'll be shocked that you can really taste the difference!! At that point it will be no problem (other than pure temptation) to avoid the sugary foods & drinks, or at least have them in moderation. =)

Again... I'll repeat it :wink:
    Unless you have a MEDICAL condition... and your DOCTOR says you must monitor your sugar/carb intake... There really isn't ANY reason you need to worry about it.

Plenty of people on here eat normal foods, like the bread and canned veggies.... in mass quantities, and still lose weight.
    I'd even venture to tell ya that, many people I'm friends with on here eat pop tarts and ice cream on the daily, and still lose weight and body fat like a boss.
  • Griffin220x
    Options

Again... I'll repeat it :wink:
    Unless you have a MEDICAL condition... and your DOCTOR says you must monitor your sugar/carb intake... There really isn't ANY reason you need to worry about it.

Plenty of people on here eat normal foods, like the bread and canned veggies.... in mass quantities, and still lose weight.
    I'd even venture to tell ya that, many people I'm friends with on here eat pop tarts and ice cream on the daily, and still lose weight and body fat like a boss.

THIS^^^^

I'm one of them! I'm still losing fat.
    Options
    The world isn't black and white. What works one way for one may not work the same way for another.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    The world isn't black and white. What works one way for one may not work the same way for another.

Actually it is. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose fat enjoy and enjoy your sugar! Am I suggesting that you gorge yourself in sugar foods all the time? No. But do not feel guilty or feel that you "went over" in sugar because you had one too many fruits or decided to eat that bowl of ice cream.
  • rebeccamcarthur1
    rebeccamcarthur1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Okay I won't worry about going over. I will just make sure I don't go insanely over the amount. Thank you for all of your help!
    Options

Actually it is. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose fat enjoy and enjoy your sugar! Am I suggesting that you gorge yourself in sugar foods all the time? No. But do not feel guilty or feel that you "went over" in sugar because you had one too many fruits or decided to eat that bowl of ice cream.

I know it goes against the standard around here, but I must respectfully disagree. I find that my body does not lose weight well when I eat certain things. Lets take pop tarts for example. Two pop tarts equal about 400 calories. I can have that for breakfast, or I can have a two egg cheese omelette fried in canola, coconut, or olive oil, with toast, and a side of fruit, and do much better weight loss wise. I could have a couple of slices of pizza for lunch, or a half a chicken breast, three sides of vegetables drizzled in olive oil, and an apple and peanut butter. I lose weight better and faster if I avoid the pop tart and pizza type stuff. I have seen this at work over and over again in my own experience.
  • Jeremiah612
    Jeremiah612 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally would not worry about the natural sugars from fruit.. Stick to your recommended daily fruit and veggie intake.. Be more concerned with the refined sugars and FRUCTOSE SYRUP !!!!
  • Dianafrance8
    Dianafrance8 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with many people that what works for some doesn't necessarily apply to everyone . I think it's great that you are staying under in all your other limits , but I agree that you are smart to look at ALL the nutritional components of your diet-even if it is not convenient .

When you start tracking carbs and sugar, you are educating yourself about which foods are the most balanced.

For example :almond/peanut butter is a great healthy choice, but as you compare different brands you see that some are loaded with added sugar (and salt). Why ignore that? Educating yourself will not only help you lose weight and get fit, but it will obviously help your overall health for the long term.

Watching your sugar/carbs is no different than watching sodium, fat or calories. It's all part of a balanced approach to eating.

Btw...berries and grapefruit are excellent choices for super fruits that are lower in sugar-not such a shock to the system-like for example a really ripe banana is like maple syrup.

Also I want to say that you are doing great with your weight loss and you've logged like 100 miles for the month of march. You are a superhero!!!
  • Cskinner2
    Cskinner2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Unless you are living on candy bars and snack bars I would not worry about it. If you are eating healthy with veggies and fruit you are good. Worry about your calories total and your exercise more
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Don't count the sugars in fruit. Only count added sugars.
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just asked a my dietitian that question this week :-). She said not to worry about sugar from fruit -- just the stuff you add by the teaspoonful or the stuff in junky drinks ...
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I personally try to limit my sugar grams to 18-24.

You might find this article helpful.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/22/how-sugar-accelerates-aging.aspx
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing about my own log--I'm always over in sugar. With the exception of today (my friend gave me some candy), 90% of the sugar I eat comes from fruit. So...I decided awhile ago that I'd only watch the sugar if it comes from sources like candy, cakes, etc. I love bananas and they're huge in sugar. One banana is more than half what MFP recommends for me every day. Oh well, bananas are good for me ;)
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You definitely don’t want to go ridiculously over, but don’t stress over it. I always go over my sugar amount, but the majority (and sometimes all) comes from natural sources like fruit or raw honey. I don’t allow myself to get caught up in worrying over those sugars, within reason.

I wouldn’t suggest eating five pounds of strawberries and finishing it off with an entire jar of raw honey or bottle of organic maple syrup (lol), but basic fruit consumption and use of sweeteners like raw honey, organic maple syrup etc. are nothing to be stressed about. Even before I started monitoring my calories, I consumed these items regularly and experienced no negative impact on my weight loss.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I personally try to limit my sugar grams to 18-24.

You might find this article helpful.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/22/how-sugar-accelerates-aging.aspx

No.

Ignore everything you ever see/hear from that ultra-quack Mercola. No, I'm serious.
  • honeybunnyxc
    honeybunnyxc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi I've found by using the app after 2weeks just how much sugar is in things. Weight watchers yoghurts low in calories and fat but high in sugar. It just shows how much is in everything we eat eg processed foods. I had a can of soup and yoghurt and that would take me over so scary. So I now don't go for the low fat versions just try and cook meals from scratch. Good luck.