Simple side dishes needed!!!

Options
love42animals
love42animals Posts: 5 Member
I desperately need simple side dish recipes. Please send me some!

Replies

• karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Google "Roasted Vegetables" My FAVORITE!!! YUM

You chope veggies toss with a little olive oil and bake them until they get brown. So yummy! The natural sugar in the veggies gets so sweet. I add garlic and onion to mine. I have roasted so many types of veggies it works with almost all of them.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Birdseye Steamfresh Vegetable Packs.... amazing.
  • hoho1966
    hoho1966 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Mash - great replacement for mashed potatoes and very easy to make! 123 calories per serving.

1 head cauliflower, broken into pieces
    1/2 stick butter
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    salt to taste

Cook cauliflower pieces in a small amount of water, in saucepan on stovetop until tender.
    Mash with a potato masher until completely broken apart.
    Transfer to blender.
    Add butter, blend until smooth.
    Transfer back to saucepan.
    Add parmesan and salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes

You can forego the blender and have a "less smooth" version if you wish.
  • cai1961
    cai1961 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with Karen, I make a big batch of vegetables sometimes on the BBQ then you can use them in tons of recipes, Mix in quinoa with some feta cheese, put on a corn tortilla with homemade tzatziki cherry tomatoes, make your own mini pizzas with English muffin....Delicious
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    There just isn't anything easier than roasted veggies!
  • hoho1966
    Options
    I love those Birdseye Steamfresh Vegies!!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I love steamed broccoli with lemon pepper and lemon juice sprinkled kn top
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    I make a simple salad. All I do is mix the following ingredients. You can add herbs or spices if you want.

One bag frozen corn - thawed
    One can diced tomatos with chiles (rotel)
    One medium or large onion diced
    One can kidney beans drained and rinsed

This is served cold - no cooking required!

I made this up one day with stuff I had in the house, and it has turned into one of my favorites. I usually always have these ingredients around. I even bring it to pot lucks now when I can't make something time consuming.
  • crubinetti
    crubinetti Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok, this may be stupid but what kinds of veggies can you roast? Tubers and squashes I know but like broccoli and what not too?
  • hoho1966
    Options
    Sorry to blow up your post but I thought of another family favorite. Saute fresh asparagus in a little olive oil with sea salt and fresh minced garlic. Cook only as long as you like - we like it slightly firm, not mushy. Cover it at first to steam it.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Ok, this may be stupid but what kinds of veggies can you roast? Tubers and squashes I know but like broccoli and what not too?

anything really.

potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, peppers, onions, the list goes on and on. Its so easy and so good.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Greek salad is a nice easy side. Quarter slice some cucumbers and halve some multi color Cherry tomatoes. Add some chunks of feta cheese and a little chopped basil, toss in olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

Warm black beans are nice with Mexican main dishes.
    Any veggie is great as a side, I like to buy the cubed squash and roast it in olive oil just like potatoes.
    Corn on the cob is also good if it fits your family's diet.
    You can also make sautéed onion, mushroom, and herbs which taste just like stovetop stuffing, google it if you like.
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes have become a favorite around here. I usually get big ones and serve half per person. After washing the potato, I cut it into 8 pieces (cut in half, then quarter each half), put on a microwave-safe plate with a tiny bit of water (to prevent sticking to the plate), and microwave for 4-6 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. If I have time, I'll cook them in the oven instead.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I have roasted them all! I try to pair the root veggies like carrots with the harder squashes like butternut squash.

Or you can roast the sofer ones togther. Like zucinni, summer squash, eggplant all softer.
  • Linda1Bad
    Linda1Bad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    fresh sauteed spinach - spray a non-stick pan very, very lightly with Pam, add spinach (it cooks down a LOT and you can eat a ton of it with very few calories). Add a clove of minced garlic if you like garlic. Sautee just a couple of minutes until the spinach is soft - don't overcook. lightly salt and sprinkle with a teaspoon of lemon juice. yummy, full of iron, very few calories and you can serve any kind of meat over it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    roasting times for veg at around 200C, cut bit size and dressed with a spritz of olive oil

potatoes: around 40 minutes
    broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash: about 25 minutes
    green beans, mange touts, asparagus: 10-12 minutes