700 net?

Options
I am so confused. I read this topic a few minutes ago, where someone ate 1000 kcal a day and that isn't healty, but the thing is I eat around 1100 too and I'm 5ft7 and my weight is around 128 lbs. Is this why I am not loosing weight? Am I eating too few calories?
I do Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 every day and I try to do her killer buns and thight every day too, or at least every other day, and I have a deficit of at least 500 kcal every day and I then have a net on 600-700. Is this unhealthy? Am i following MFP all wrong? I thought I was doing it right, but I guess not. Anyone who can tell what I am doing wrong? Aren't I suppodes to follow MFP recomended calorie-thing?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you are 5ft7 and 128lbs, why would you want to lose weight?
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    I want to lose my fat? I'm not saying I'm fat or anything, but I have fat that I want to loose. I used I be quite fit, but then I got an ED and stopped eating and lost my muscles and so on so right now all I've got is fat. Sort of.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you're going with the calorie goal that MFP gives you, then you should be eating back your exercise calories. There is already a large enough deficit built into that number for weight loss; a larger deficit is unnecessary. If your calorie goal for the day is 1200, then your NET calories should be 1200, which means you may end up eating 1600+ depending on your exercise. At 5'7" and 128 pounds, perhaps your body doesn't want to lose more weight. You may be happier increasing calories, building muscle, and losing body fat instead of scale weight.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Eat more and start lifting.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Eat more and lift.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I want to lose my fat? I'm not saying I'm fat or anything, but I have fat that I want to loose. I used I be quite fit, but then I got an ED and stopped eating and lost my muscles and so on so right now all I've got is fat. Sort of.

You don't need to lose weight, you need to eat at maintenance and lift HEAVY
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    It sounds like what you are trying to do is slim down by building muscle. If that is the case then you might not see the scale move at all. For the past 4 weeks I haven't had a loss, until I did my measurements and was down almost 2 inches on my hips and my belly.

So point is, if you are trying to build muscle and burn fat, don't get discouraged if you don't see a loss. And, yes, 700 net is low, in my opinion. I have days like that though so I'm not one to judge or advise.
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    If you're going with the calorie goal that MFP gives you, then you should be eating back your exercise calories. There is already a large enough deficit built into that number for weight loss; a larger deficit is unnecessary. If your calorie goal for the day is 1200, then your NET calories should be 1200, which means you may end up eating 1600+ depending on your exercise. At 5'7" and 128 pounds, perhaps your body doesn't want to lose more weight. You may be happier increasing calories, building muscle, and losing body fat instead of scale weight.

Wait, so am I supposed to be as close to my net kcal each day? And as close to my weekly net goal also? I men, is it supposed to be 0 left? I feel so stupid. Am I supposes to have 0 remaining calories each day?
  • jjkarnitz
    jjkarnitz Posts: 55
    Options
    Don't feel stupid. :) But yes, you can eat until you get to zero calories remaining. The daily goals on MFP are calculated based on what you set your profile to for weight loss (whether you want to lose 1 lb per week or 1.5, etc.) so when you have 'zero' calories left for the day, you're still netting a calorie amount that should yield some success. There are days I don't use all my calories, but I try to come close, and I've lost 28 lbs. in three months doing this.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are supposed to have 0 left or thereabouts, plus/minus a bit. Your deficit is already built into the amount of calories you have been assigned.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, you have to fuel your body. For your height, 1100 is extremely low. I am very active and 5'3" and eat 2500 a day (or strive to as close to that number as possible)

If you are very confused, I recommend seeing a registered dietician. if you cannot afford one, check out a local college that may have a nutrition/RD program. Sometimes they offer up free consults as practice for the students. There is so much varying information out there because there are various caloric intakes, etc. that work for different people.
    If you cannot find an RD to see, consult with your physician. Good luck!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Sweety first that fat is normal its part of being female. You have not lost your muscles. You have what they call body dismorphia you dont see the beauty that is really there. You need to talk to a professional and get your relationship with your body and food healthy. I would stop looking at the scale and focus on the strengths and beauty of your body.
  • METALSNOWFLAKE
    Options
    You should be focusing on your GOAL calories. The FOOD calories are ADDED (+) and your EXERCISE calories are SUBTRACTED (-) giving you the NET (=).

Your GOAL calories should be INDEPENDENT of this equation. Meaning, separate from.

Say your goal calories are 1200.

You eat 1200 calories. (+)
    Then you burn 500. (-)
    Your net is 700. (=)

1200 - 500 = 700.
    (FOOD) - (EXERCISE) = (NET)

This means you are not meeting your GOAL of calories consumed.

THAT means, you should be consuming more, because 700 calories is not enough for your body.

Your NET is essentially telling you, you are coming in under your GOAL of energy (food) to consume in order to burn the fat. Right now you are just burning lean muscle, so you need to eat more. Increasing your calories (FOOD) or (+) will make your NET match your GOAL.

If your NET is less than your GOAL, you need to eat more FOOD to meet your GOAL.

If your GOAL is greater than your NET, you need to EXERCISE more to meet your GOAL.

The kind of EXERCISE you need more of, is weight training, with free weights and just bodyweight. That will build your muscle, and get rid of the skin or extra fat you are worried about. This may require you to eat more calories once you figure out what exercise you are doing. But you are probably good with your cardio, so just keep doing that, and eat more, so your NET matches your GOAL. And work in some weight and strength training. Do some research on that, find out what exercises you like, and then you will learn how many more calories you need to eat in order to look how you want.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    IMO to achieve what you are looking for, you need to eat atleast 1400-1800/day and lift and do cardio (for your heart.)
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
  • awtume9
    Options
    Edited b/c my quoting skills are sub par.
  • awtume9
    Options

Sweety first that fat is normal its part of being female. You have not lost your muscles. You have what they call body dismorphia you dont see the beauty that is really there. You need to talk to a professional and get your relationship with your body and food healthy. I would stop looking at the scale and focus on the strengths and beauty of your body.

:noway:
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    Seems like I've got a whole lot of eating from now on to do then! (y)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'7" and 128....stop trying to lose weight, That "fat" you think you see, NO.

You say you suffered from an ED. I say you still have body dysmorphia issues and you should be in therapy. You should be eating about 2000 calories.

Please get into, or back into therapy.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

If you want to lose fat, then go for strength training instead of cardio. Also, netting that low is not going to cut fat. Your body will eat your lean muscle mass, which is probably why you feel you have a high fat content. That's how you get skinny-fat.