Too Much Protein

Options
Pretty much everyday I go over my protein goal. I don't eat a lot of meat. It's usually nuts, dairy, eggs and either chicken or seafood. Do you think its a big deal to go over? Can you have too much lean protein?

Replies

• salcala
    salcala Posts: 19
    Options
    By how much are you going over? Those numbers are just guidlines. If you are going over by a lot you might want to cut some protien out of your diet.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    From your food diary, I saw that you are eating about 85 grams of protein, which is a perfect amount. I wouldn't eat less. You should actually change your goals so your protein intake is about 75-85 grams a day and fiber should be 30 grams a day. 65 grams of protein is very little, especially during weight loss. I aim for 85-100 grams of protein a day myself.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try changing your nutrition goals by upping protein by 5% and lower either carbs or fat. go to goals, click change goals, select custom then make you changes and click save changes. MFP sets protein at 15% of total cals, a healthy balanced diet can range from 10-30% protein.
  • kt2130
    kt2130 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have read and have been told by my trainer that protein is critical for weight loss. It helps to burn fat and also keep you feeling full. I have my percentages set to 45% carbs, 35% protein, and 20% fat. My protein goal is 119 grams of protein a day. I have found that this works for me!
  • blewis1234
    blewis1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    if your calories are inline I don't see why that would matter. It's better than going over on fat. I was way under on protien yesterday and I didn't feel that great I was tired and kind of out of it. Today I went over on protien and I feel pretty good. Of course the weather isn't as humid and I did exercise today so I'm not sure which had the biggest effect.
  • k2843seegers
    k2843seegers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    kt2130 is totally right with the 45% carbs, 35% protein, and 20% fat break down. I was given those same ratios by my nutrition coach (who is also a RD) and I am conistently losing 1.5-2 lbs a week. You don't want to just go by the amount of calories ... not all calories are the same. If most of your calories are in carbs, you will lose weight at first but quickly plateau.

I shared these ratios with a girl friend of mine who had been at a plateau for months. She followed it for one week and lost 5 lbs!