Is this healthy??

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
Ingredients: Organic Corn meal, Expeller-pressed Sunflower Oil, Whey, Cheddar Cheese (milk, sea salt, cheese cultures, enzymes), Maltodextrin, Sea Salt, Natural flavors, Organic sour cream (cultured organic skim milk, organic cream, cornstarch, dry organic skim milk [acidophilus and bifidus cultures added]), torula yeast, lactic acid, citric acid.

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist. Generally looks okay, but I wonder about the nutritional info.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what these ingredients are from but personally I wouldn't eat it. Too many ingredients, Sounds like it would be fatty and contains additives like Maltodextrin.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I always get concerned when I see "natural flavors." What are these so-called natural flavors? There are also several other ingredients that are definitely not found in nature. Most of it seems like what you'd read on a bag of chips or something.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sun chips? Maybe not... don't think they're organic. Some kind of organic Cheetos or something? Weird that the sour cream is organic but the cheddar cheese is not.

It's something marketed as "healthy" or "natural" or "low fat" and somewhere on it says "with PROBIOTICS!!!" It's some sort of salt/fat/sugar delivery vehicle that tastes so good my brain says "More! Now!" and no matter how many I eat, it will not be filling. I
    MIGHT stop after one bag, because that's all I bought. Or, if I bought a big bag and measured out a serving (12 chips?) I could stop so it fits my macros. But of course, after I measured out that serving, I'd go back for more. And if I sat down with a big bag in front of the TV? Hello... cals for the day done and DONE.

I know myself with those nasty devils. I lack moderation. Therefore not healthy for me. Plus, you know, the whole grains and sunflower oil are the devil's spawn thing. Go team extreme!

:smile:
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between eating one cheese puff and eating 5 bags of cheese puffs a day? How about eating one bag a month or one bag a year? Are you asking about short-term health or long-term health? Is eating cheese puffs healthy for someone who is allergic to corn?

Your question does not have a definitive "yes" or "no" answer.
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The cornstarch is not organic and is probably a GMO. Most corn that is not organic is GMO in the US, and probably Canada too, and it does not have to be labeled. Check out a few Youtube videos if you want to start learning about GMOs.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Does it fit into your goals for the day? If so, don't obsess over it--and enjoy.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Is that even food? Jk.
    What are the nutrition facts?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Does it fit your macros?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Add some context and dosage and maybe we determine that question. I love cheetos :happy:
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I always get concerned when I see "natural flavors." What are these so-called natural flavors? There are also several other ingredients that are definitely not found in nature. Most of it seems like what you'd read on a bag of chips or something.

"Natural flavours" is one of the code names for MSG. I'm not sure if it's always MSG though.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Sun chips? Maybe not... don't think they're organic. Some kind of organic Cheetos or something? Weird that the sour cream is organic but the cheddar cheese is not.

It's something marketed as "healthy" or "natural" or "low fat" and somewhere on it says "with PROBIOTICS!!!" It's some sort of salt/fat/sugar delivery vehicle that tastes so good my brain says "More! Now!" and no matter how many I eat, it will not be filling. I
    MIGHT stop after one bag, because that's all I bought. Or, if I bought a big bag and measured out a serving (12 chips?) I could stop so it fits my macros. But of course, after I measured out that serving, I'd go back for more. And if I sat down with a big bag in front of the TV? Hello... cals for the day done and DONE.

I know myself with those nasty devils. I lack moderation. Therefore not healthy for me. Plus, you know, the whole grains and sunflower oil are the devil's spawn thing. Go team extreme!

It's the Simply Natural Cheetos Puffs. I was debating whether to get some yesterday. I decided against it. If I had bought them, I doubt there would be any left today. But I also doubt they would have put me much over my goals, if at all.

I've been wanting some lately. I'm sure I'll give in before too long.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

It's the Simply Natural Cheetos Puffs. I was debating whether to get some yesterday. I decided against it. If I had bought them, I doubt there would be any left today. But I also doubt they would have put me much over my goals, if at all.

I've been wanting some lately. I'm sure I'll give in before too long.

Oh, man. The natural cheetos are so bomb. It's so hard not to eat all of them. For whatever reason they taste much better than the regular ones. It's probably best not to buy them. They can be serious binge food.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Does it fit your macros?

I've stopped logging but it's unlikely that the amount I would eat would fit for that day. But over time, it probably wouldn't make much of a dent. They are mostly carbs and I tend to be low on carbs more than fat or protein.
  • beets_yum
    beets_yum Posts: 36
    Options
    Will this make you healthier? No. Case closed. Not healthy. Nothing will that many additives can possibly make you healthier.

Will it taste good? Maybe. But, no, not "healthy."
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Will this make you healthier? No. Case closed. Not healthy. Nothing will that many additives can possibly make you healthier.

Will it taste good? Maybe. But, no, not "healthy."

Which additives are bad?
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    look past all the "organic lingo and see what you are actually eating, organic or otherwise. The term organic is just there to reel you into thinking that it is something it is not......................healthy. Someone posted that it is actually the ingredients for cheese puffs. We all have our indulgences, and sometimes those are the little things that make life enjoyable and are the reason we spend time exercising and eating well, so we can enjoy those indulgences once in a while....in moderation. I say eat em, but don't try to kid yourself into rationalizing them as healthy, cause that is a steep and slippery slope to start down thinkning that stuff like this is actually healthy in any way, its maybe just not quite as bad for you as regular cheetos......it's like poison light!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    look past all the "organic lingo and see what you are actually eating, organic or otherwise. The term organic is just there to reel you into thinking that it is something it is not......................healthy. Someone posted that it is actually the ingredients for cheese puffs. We all have our indulgences, and sometimes those are the little things that make life enjoyable and are the reason we spend time exercising and eating well, so we can enjoy those indulgences once in a while....in moderation. I say eat em, but don't try to kid yourself into rationalizing them as healthy, cause that is a steep and slippery slope to start down thinkning that stuff like this is actually healthy in any way, its maybe just not quite as bad for you as regular cheetos......it's like poison light!

Poison light. Cute! :laugh: