cost of personal trainers

Options
I really dont know if I am being ripped off. My gym want to charge me £50.00 per hour for a PT, ok I live in London and everything is expensive, so is this a fair price?

Replies

• damo1023
    damo1023 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    in the cambridge area its normally about £30 an hour for one to one sessions.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    In the US, I pay 50 US dollars per hour session.. which is 40 euros... So yea, I'd say that sounds about right.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The ones here in North Yorkshire that I've looked into are between 30-50 pounds per hour. One-on-one trainers are expensive.
  • aliceinlondon
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I now know its an ok price.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think it is expensive to be honest. I know its london - but still.

I pay between 20-30 pounds for a trainer. Used a few of them until I found the right one. The 20 pound one was for a home based one, booking 20 session blocks, the 30 for gym based booking 10 session blocks.

The other element to consider is how good are the trainers? My experience has been that trainers at the gyms I have used have been a much much lower standard than those booked privately - some of which use their own gyms and some use outdoors or my home.

My advice is to shop around a bit - don;t feel tied to your gym for training. It might work out cheaper and better for you to do one session a week (or month, whatever you are planning) somewhere else but remain a member for your other workouts.

Personally I had the most success when I packed in my gym and used that money to add extra pt session - did 2 a week, and 2 days a week went for a jog outdoors.
  • nicolabellaa
    Options
    I live in canada and joined the gym thursday i go too goodlife fitness and im paying 258 for 6 sessions hr each time with a personal trainer
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I live in nyc and trainers are usually around $80/hr usd. Sometimes you can get a good deal at around $60/hr or if you're a member of some gyms it can be as low as $40/hr if you buy a package.
  • sachabloke
    Options
    Thats about fair, we charge £60/hour
  • edencrannon
    edencrannon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    YMCA do one PT session a week that's free!! Well, they do up north anyway!! Xxx
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I live in the states, moderate sized city and my personal trainer is $60.00 USD an hour. I see him twice a week and if I pay for 10 sessions up front, I get the 11th free so not a bad deal.

Prices vary city to city. I just recently paid $120 USD plus gratuity in Miami at a fitness club. Depends of where you live and how well known your personal trainer is.
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Options
    I pay £28 an hour in Yorkshire. It's not just the cost, its how flexible they are will to be. I did an intensive 3 week block to help with shoulder injury and kitstart next stage of weight loss, which were 45 minutes sessions. I decided to keep going with him as I really saw results, and was still nervous about what to do to help shoulder. I don't have a lot of money to spend on it, and he was happy for us to go to 30 minute session every 2 weeks, but I know a friend at the same gym spoke to a PT who would only book 1 hour sessions, and had to be twice a week.
  • 1980karen
    1980karen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ive used 2 trainers. one i used to meet somewhere and shed help me with my running and charged £15 per hour. always met her through the day which was a cheaper rate. the second was a gym based trainer and paid £130 for 6 sessions. bit cheaper than london but im up in newcastle.
  • Sonic_1971
    Options
    Hiya

Im in Essex just outside London and use one of the PT's at my local gym. He charges me £27 per hour if i block book 6 or more sessions in one go (£30 if i book one at a time).

I did look into getting a private PT and they are a little cheaper but in the end I didnt fancy exercising in my own home (not much room and in the middle of refurbing so everything is all over the place). I did a taster session with my current PT at the gym and enjoyed it so much i decided to stick with him.

:)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I live in Gloucestershire UK (South West)

I have paid for £25ph for a personal trainer. Sport science students are good some charge £15ph while at uni.. could try that?
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Try Jamie Eason Livefit program on bodybuilding.com. It is free.
  • Can_Change_Natalie
    Can_Change_Natalie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My Peronal Trainer is About 50 pounds an hour im living in New Zealand at the moment but thats whta it converts to.

I do think it is a little expensive but she is worth it i get along with her really well and although i have only meet with her a few times so far iv already learnt loads and she has got me to do tones of new stuff. I think you just need to work out if they are worth the money they are charging id rather pay that bit more and get the right trainer for me than pay less and not get as much out of it.