Bad day at work....

Options
Bad day at work....Went for the chips...ugh! Need to learn to do something "constructive" when faced with hurtful-angry situations.

At least I recognized it, and tried to stop it before devouring the entire bag.

How is someone to break the "emotional" eating pattern?

Replies

• bkjj1229
    bkjj1229 Posts: 22
    Options
    I pray! It works! Gum helps too!
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    There's a number of different strategies. Here are a few:

1. Use the "yes, but first I will..." approach. This means that when you have an impulse for (chips), you tell yourself "yes, I will have those chips. But first I will ... check my email" This way you agree to your craving, but you put a small task in between eating it. Sometimes you will find that you don't crave that food any more. Either way, this helps put you back in control.

2. Figure out what time of day you have those cravings, and just plan ahead for it so it fits in your calorie budget. Skip breakfast or eat a lighter lunch if you like to eat more food in the evening- just an example

3. Keep lower calorie convenience foods on hand for you to grab as an alternative

4. Get yourself in a different routine so it's harder to just flow with bad habits.
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy is the best medicine for me, but it's not always possible to avoid situations where you can eat. That's where will power comes in, and I k now thay doesnt always work, but gotta keep trying!
  • cu015821
    cu015821 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eat a couple then move on. I try not to deprive myself of any foods. I notice my craving are changing since adjusting my eating habits. seems to all work out.
  • Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    Options
    Do something active - run up and down a couple of flights of stairs or take a couple of brisk laps of your building or block. This helps vent frustration, uses up some of the adrenaline that we release when stressed, and gives you some space to calm down and get stuff into perspective. Good luck :-)
  • coderlaury
    coderlaury Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one! I will try to incorporate these suggestions.
  • coderlaury
    Options
    I pray! It works! Gum helps too!

I'm sure that praying would be the BEST for me. You can never pray too much. Thanks for the reminder.
  • coderlaury
    Options
    Keeping busy is the best medicine for me, but it's not always possible to avoid situations where you can eat. That's where will power comes in, and I k now thay doesnt always work, but gotta keep trying!

Yes, you are right...I've got to keep trying and not give up- or "give in"...Thanks
  • coderlaury
    Options
    Do something active - run up and down a couple of flights of stairs or take a couple of brisk laps of your building or block. This helps vent frustration, uses up some of the adrenaline that we release when stressed, and gives you some space to calm down and get stuff into perspective. Good luck :-)

I am going to buy some tennis shoes that I can keep in my desk at work, just so I can take a walk around the office. Thanks!
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What I think is awesome is that you came asking for suggestions of things you could try. You not only helped yourself, but might have helped someone else with the same problem without knowing it.

And the folks who responded gave some great suggestions... I'm taking some mental notes of strategies I want to try the next time I stress-eat.
  • coderlaury
    Options
    Eat a couple then move on. I try not to deprive myself of any foods. I notice my craving are changing since adjusting my eating habits. seems to all work out.

You're right...these foods will be in my life forever...just a couple is better than an entire bag. The sad thing about the whole situation, was that I had a bag of carrots on my desk....Well, that is the past...I will look at the present and try to prepare for the future. Thank you for thoughts and taking the time to write.
  • coderlaury
    Options
    What I think is awesome is that you came asking for suggestions of things you could try. You not only helped yourself, but might have helped someone else with the same problem without knowing it.

And the folks who responded gave some great suggestions... I'm taking some mental notes of strategies I want to try the next time I stress-eat.

Thank you, you made me feel better...and not such of failure.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Start emotional exercising.
    If you have a **** day at work, go for a run and see how much better than makes you feel as opposed to eating. Not only do you feel great for the endorphins released but it gives you time to think and evaluate.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

This. If I can get away for a bit it really helps. By time I've walked the stairs to the top floor I usually feel a lot better. Plus there's a great view up there and no offices so I like to stay and hang out for a few minutes.

Or I just go hide in a bathroom that almost no one else uses.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Drink water or run the stairs.
  • coderlaury
    Options
    Drink water or run the stairs.

Thank you! I wish we had stairs at work...I work in a single story building...but I have be trying to walk a little bit more often. I don't have a problem getting my water in...I always have a bottle of water, or crystal light with me. I also drink diet soda...which I'm trying to cut back on.

Thanks for your reply!
  • coderlaury
    Options
    Start emotional exercising.
    If you have a **** day at work, go for a run and see how much better than makes you feel as opposed to eating. Not only do you feel great for the endorphins released but it gives you time to think and evaluate.

Thank you! I think you're right!