Since we're discussing dogs...help me with my foster dog

Options
cuterbee
cuterbee Posts: 545
My latest foster is a 5 month old chihuahua/dachshund mix; I fostered her because she had ringworm and kennel cough. She is finally ready to go back to the shelter for her spay and to be adopted.

However...I have to write a brief summary so that potential adopters can get a feel for her. She's a great dog, and of course, I want her to have a great home...

...but she is TOTALLY CRAZED. Totally. Crazed. While all puppies are at least somewhat crazed, she is 100X more crazed than any other puppy I've fostered (and I've fostered a lot of them).

She is the kind of dog who likes squeaky toys and will make them squeak for hours, she never gets tired of this. She has a lot of energy and likes to just jump up and down when she is excited (and she can jump several feet into the air), and she gets excited A LOT (she rarely jumps on people, but I think small children would be put off by this). She runs around like a crazy thing but then likes to sleep on your lap and cuddle. Crate trained and paper trained, but not yet totally house trained (she's smart and I am confident she will eventually get it). Loves other dogs. Wants to play with cats but cats find her off-putting. She likes "fetch". When no one is playing with her, she'll play all by herself and it's hilarious to watch her run around.

I know that she will grow out of some of this, but people who like calm and quiet are not going to like this dog...and her energy is going to probably freak out little kids...but at the same time, she's a funny, loving and a big personality. How should I write her bio so that the right people will adopt her? Any ideas?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I always try to be totally honest on my fosters' bios. What you wrote here really is good, it describes a great personality, but not a dog who needs to be in a home where the owners are couch potatoes. She sounds like she'd do well in a home with another active dog or someone who likes to walk a lot. I would probably put some sort of wording about being too energetic for a home with small children, for her sake and the children's sake. Then maybe describe her clownish behavior and how much fun it is to watch her play.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think using lots of energetic, playful, plays for long time descriptions would be good. A large fenced in yard where she could run run run that energy off would be great. :-)
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Be honest. There are lots of active people that would love an equally active dog. She sounds like a fun pup with the right family (and perhaps a BIG back yard and also some doggie friends). Good luck finding her a home. :flowerforyou:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think describing the high energy would definitely be a good idea. It gives people a good idea if their home would be a good fit. I once thought adopting a certain cat but the bio said they needed a quiet home. I do not have a quiet home. The lady behind me did, though, and that kitty went home to a place where she could really be happy!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Hope your foster dog finds a loving home! Might want to recommend the next owner have a big backyard to run around.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is to describe her as high energy, fun-loving, and affectionate. Make sure you state that she would be best suited to an adult home or home with older children and that homes with young children or cats would not be ideal. It's more important to find her forever home with someone who can deal with her energy than to have her come back to the shelter after a poor placement.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but that dog sounds super cute!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    posts keep getting deleted
  • cuterbee
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for all the ideas! :flowerforyou: She is a supercute dog! Some dogs you get, you know will do well no matter what. Others you worry about...
  • tabbyavalon
    Options
    above all you must be honest else she'll end up in kennels again or miserable
    She's a cute little fruit loop, always entertaining and full of joy some may say shes a handful as she will play for hours and demands attention
    shes a happy go lucky little one who gets on with all who meet her other dogs and cats included,
    she may be a bit much for young children but shes a perfect companion for anyone over 8
    in the evening she'll thank you for for her day of fun with love and cuddles as she snoozes on your lap, happy shes part of ur life
  • cuterbee
    Options
    above all you must be honest else she'll end up in kennels again or miserable
    She's a cute little fruit loop, always entertaining and full of joy some may say shes a handful as she will play for hours and demands attention
    shes a happy go lucky little one who gets on with all who meet her other dogs and cats included,
    she may be a bit much for young children but shes a perfect companion for anyone over 8
    in the evening she'll thank you for for her day of fun with love and cuddles as she snoozes on your lap, happy shes part of ur life

Do you foster? You're really good at this!
  • tabbyavalon
    Options
    above. Thanks!
    no i dont foster but i really want to. Hopefully when i have a bigger house i'll be able to foster. Cant wait :)
  • shibazen
    shibazen Posts: 1
    Options
    I would make sure that the dog's energy level is well known, but don't make it sound bad. A lot of times, people will adopt a dog for their looks and the dog ends up back in a kennel. Just keep it light, i.e. "This dog may be small, but she has enough energy to make up for it! She will go for hours, so make sure you can keep up with her! She would do best in a home without children..."etc.
  • Trallarna
    Trallarna Posts: 45
    Options
    Might be worth looking at a home with people who do agility with thier dogs, there are spiecial classes for little dogs.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Could suggest a large household, so she can spread all that love and energy around more people. That way she is less likely to be a potential stress with her personality.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'd stress that she needs an active family.

And she sounds adorable. I adopted a much bigger puppy who was by far the worst puppy I've ever known (talk about crazed!), but she was a relatively mellow dog by age 5.