What to do at a catered hors d'oeuvres event, help!

Options
ctpeace
ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
Any dirty tricks? The "special" events often get me in trouble, it's the whole "food=fun" thing. Party tonight and I want to go armed with a plan (please don't just say willpower, give me a strategy, way to think etc.). Also, I WILL be eating something, so don't just say eat nothing either!

Replies

• CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    No one here would say nothing. Just eat what you want, log it, and start fresh tomorrow. No biggie.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You've got two options: either just enjoy yourself tonight, consider it a "cheat meal" and get back to business tomorrow, or choose your hors d'oeuvres carefully. Steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce or crab claws are delicious, high-protein and low calorie. Cheese-filled puff pastry things are not low calorie.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Only eat fruit/veg/nuts :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Avoid the fried stuff, try to seek out some vegetables, don't drink your calories, and the best one of all for me: visualise what everything you're eating looks like all put together on one plate. That is a way to see those calories add up FAST.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Have a filling but low cal snack before you go (like a green salad)
    When you arrive, check out all your options first before you eat.
    Have a drink (I recommend flavored vodka with club soda) - mingle, talk, see what you'd really like.
    Take a small portion of each item you would like to try.
    Forget the things you can have anytime or the filler foods (bread, crackers, cheese, veggie dip).
    If something is fabulous, maybe have another. If it's not, leave it on your plate.
    Drink lots of water (sparkling with lemon or lime) and enjoy your selections.
  • ctpeace
    Options
    Thanks guys! These are helpful tips, I just felt like I needed a game plan. I like the one about not eating what you could get anytime!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Here's a few more tips:

Eat before you go. Eat something really delicious and healthy and filling. Like a steak and sweet potato.

Get a sparkling water with a few olives in it. It will look like a drink, and keep you from drinking calories.

Eat the really good stuff. Don't eat the pastry-wrapped wieners. I'm talking shrimp, crab, even the meatballs.

Enjoy... call it a treat... move on.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Listen to all the advice above.
    Most of all DON"T stress.....you are in this for the long haul!
    This is one day in your life.
  • ctpeace
    Options
    Thanks for being the cool people on the site! I love these suggestions and will heed all of your advice. And yes, no sense in stressing about it!
  • Can_Change_Natalie
    Can_Change_Natalie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just has a morning tea at work but consisted of lots of bad foods, I walked in and picked three things that i would have ( the 3 things i liked the most) and just had them. Now by no means were they healthy but this allowed me to stay within my calorie limit for today and pay attention to what i consumed rather than just picking at loads of things them freaking out once i added it all up.
  • blaaaaah
    blaaaaah Posts: 11
    Options
    It's okay to splurge every so often. Eat whatever you want to, start again tomorrow.
  • Missm907
    Missm907 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the advice about eating beforehand and drinking sparkling water at the event. Just make sure to not have too many olives, for they add water weight etc.
    If you want to eat the bulk of your dinner at the event, opt to eating something small and filling before you go. Avocado, boiled egg, and nuts are great choices because their fatty properties make you feel satisfied. When you get there, start by drinking a glass of water. This will help your digestion process and also make you feel full. Then, savor every bite. You deserve a treat.
  • blaaaaah
    blaaaaah Posts: 11
    Options
    When you get there, start by drinking a glass of water. This will help your digestion process and also make you feel full. Then, savor every bite. You deserve a treat.

Just make sure that when you drink your water it's at least 15 mins before you start eating, otherwise it slows down digestion, making you feel bloated and sluggish.