What do you guys think about Weight Watchers?

Options
I generally am not inclined to programs like "weight watchers" "Jenny Craig" "Nutri-system" because of how expensive they could be. I already pay a lot of money for a gym membership. But I just found out today that my employer has a relationship with Weight Watchers and because of that, I'd only have to pay $7 a month for a membership....so now I'm thinking, should I try it being that it's right there and basically, almost free compared to the $200-$300 a month people normally pay for those kinda things.

Is Weight Watchers really effective? Some opinions on this please :)

Replies

• jeddo6631
    Options
    I did weight watchers on the mobile version and I really liked it! it was very easy to follow and easy to navigate. Im currently doing the medifast diet and yes it is expensive but I wanted to have a quick jump start to my weight loss journey.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good program but u can basically do all the same things on here for free.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    IMO- just another form of calorie counting. I did online and was frustrated how small the database was. I often used MFP to figure out points in recipes and stuff. The barcode is also limited. I get everything on MFP that I got with weight watcher, but for free. I just really like knowing more about my food than just a point value. That is just what I need to be successful.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It was a waste of money for me. Anything I could do with weight watchers I do here for free.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    scheme
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've done WW in the past, and have longer more continued success logging on MFP. The thing I think that makes WW the hardest is converting everything to points, when its so much easier to count calories. However, the meetings were fantastic for gaining knowledge on nutrition, the encouragement received, and the motivation of weighing in every week in front of someone else is beneficial. For $7 a month, it would be worth it for the meetings/classes alone, if you are into that kind of thing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Works for some people. I was never fond of the food.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think that anything that isn't sustainable for a lifetime is probably not worth the expense or effort for most people. Your time would be better spent learning how to eat in the real world vs. learning to eat by some sort of arbitrary "system".
  • leishamaree
    leishamaree Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started on WW and joined MFP later for added support. On WW I have lost 65lbs, and really enjoy the programme. I think the reason some people find it a bit simple is because they do the points part and thats it. There is a lot of fantastic science, thinking and 24/7 support available on WW, and I personally think it is a great programme.

Yes you can get some of the same stuff on MFP, but sometimes counting calories doesn't work for everyone, and they may need to look at weight loss from a different perspective :-)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    At first it was fun, but by 3 months in I was sick and tired of calculating points. It's not exactly like counting calories. Here, 100 calories of greek yogurt = 100 calories of cheesecake, but they'd work out quite different in WW points. I liked that aspect because I do not believe that all calories are created equal.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    My experience is only through a friend and I will share it. For this person it has been a blessing. They need to lose a lot of weight and the person also has zero confidence. To the point where I would go to the gym, after I worked out just to be a friendly face to them. This is what I witnessed, The weekend weigh ins have been a boost to the ego. combined with the gym and WW they have been losing almost 2 pounds a week. I no longer have to go to the gym as they feel that weight loss is possible.

So, if you need a little extra structure and motivation to get started then as I have seen, it can be great.
  • pastancil
    pastancil Posts: 10
    Options
    I combine the best parts of WW and MFP---I don't count "points" but just calories as per MFP. I don't use WW online because it is not as easy as MFP and their database is smaller. I use WW for "accountability". I go in faithfully every week to weigh, but don't attend the meetings. Just the fact that someone actually sees my weight loss (or lack thereof) makes me be careful all week. I actually reached my ultimate goal about 3 or 4 months ago and now go in weekly to weigh just to be accountable to someone and (so far) it has really helped me avoid the temptations that have always led to gaining the weight back. I would surely take advantage of $7.00/month!!! Great deal!
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I liked weight watchers when I went about 10 - 15 years ago. Another way to log but I lost and maintained for years. For $7 I would even do it now. Meetings can be inspiring.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on WW and worked for them --- IMO, don't. Just don't. They are overly focused on the BMI, with very little focus on providing facts and accurate acknowledge about nutrition.

Their focus is to make money (ie keep you from your goals because then it's free). Use a free site and don't fool yourself into thinking fruit doesn't have calories.
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I love Weight Watchers and would gladly go if I could still afford it.
    They helped me lose over 100 pounds, and the fellowship with the
    other members was great. I learned more about food and nutrition there
    than anywhere else and a good leader can answer questions and help
    if you have problems. Good Luck!
    Linda
  • Princess_RaeRae
    Options
    A lot of people have had great success with it. That being said, I only lost about a pound total after three months on the program. It works for some people, does not work for others.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I know people who were successful at it and I've know people who weren't successful at it. Of those three, I think WW is the best of the mix, though. They seem like they try to teach you how to eat properly, not just stuffing you full of diet food. That said, you have to be willing to walk the walk with any diet change in your life :)
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    As a lifetime member of WW, I have nothing negative to say about it. I haven't attended a meeting in 20 years though.

I do however tell people all the time that the program one chooses is not as important as whether they are ready to make a lifetime change. That undescribable "click" has to occur in one's psyche before any significant changes in life can be made.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.:smile:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I've learnt more about fitness and nutrition on MFP along with researching on my own than I ever did on WW.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My mom did WW years ago and lost a ton of weight...which was good, but it never really taught her a whole lot about proper nutrition or true calories in/out because it was all just points. It worked for her actual, initial weight loss, but left her in no mans land when it came to maintenance and especially when it came to fueling her new love of fitness.

She's been calorie counting and macro counting now for about 8 years and has benefited greatly from that as she has learned what her body actually needs fuel wise, particularly as she's turned into quite the gym rat over the last decade or so. She's almost unrecognizable from the mom I knew growing up...she's now a triathlete and she's also big time in the weight room @ 60 years old.

My personal opinion is that weight watchers is just a different form of counting...instead of actual calories, you're counting points. I don't really see the appeal when you can count calories for free. I guess the one benefit would be going to the meetings, etc if you're into that kind of thing.