what do you eat when you have a terrible cold.

Options
I had a terrible cold before joining here and all I wanted was ice cream and french fries. Do ya eat what you want, even if it is junk during this time, do you give yourself a break and eat more if you want because you are sick. I always want to eat when I am sick, I wish it was the other way.

Replies

• CodieBear1
    CodieBear1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I try my best to eat like I normally would, except I tend to snack more throughout the day, though they're still healthy snacks :) I have a cold right now, too :(
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nope. I actually eat less because I can't exercise and I'm pretty much sedentary so I'm burning less energy throughout the day.
  • cupulous
    cupulous Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually give myself a break and eat what I want. Gotta take care of the soul too :)
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who get colds all the time and just do whatever I normally do. I exercise, I eat, etc. etc. The only downfall I have is wanting to drink lots of anything that's not water (Ribena!) as water doesn't satisfy the thirst I have when I get colds. I haven't had a bad cold since I started on here though, so haven't had to test that out yet!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies. Any time I am uncomfortable, I want to eat. I hope when I get a cold again I can at least stay In my calorie range, if not it doesn't last forever, just have to get back eating right asap.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Everything. Usually homemade French fries (cut up potatoes and fry in a pan drenched with olive oil and seasalt), pizza, pasta with lots of cheese and butter, and cake/cookies/ice cream (or some combination of those). I think it help me heal faster.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I live on tomato soup when I'm really sick, but have a fondness for McD's Hamburger Happy Meals when I'm recovering. Almost always follow this pattern. But I'm glad that I don't get sick often. I'm a huge baby when I'm sick.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    chicken noodle or miso soup. i usu can't taste much, but these are comforting to me.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Lot's of soup. Strangely enough...more of the "liquidy" kind like lipton's instant chicken noodle etc.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely sick, but I love spicy stuff when I have a head cold. Noodle soup loaded with sriracha is the best.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Soups! When I'm sick my appetite is the first thing to go and a broth based soup is all I can stomach.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Usually if it's from the neck up like a cold, I still exercise and find it alleviates a lot of the common cold symptoms immediately (runny nose, sore throat).. I still stick to eating healthy like I would everyday. Chicken soup is my favourite and quick to make.. boil some chicken, herbs, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, anything I have really and just throw that in.

Sometimes depending on the illness, I may not get in all my cals but I don't freak out about it. I usually can't taste much of what I am eating anyway.. good time to try out anything you've been afraid of trying :laugh:
  • brenn24179
    Options
    Soups! When I'm sick my appetite is the first thing to go and a broth based soup is all I can stomach.

I wish I was like that, I want to eat everything, I guess I think it makes me feel better. I have a huge appetite, when sick, go figure.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    protein and extra sleep
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I got a terrible cold my 2nd week in and while it was difficult, I gave myself leeway and fed my body what it wanted.
    Just push fluids and rest, this is life
  • skyedogz
    skyedogz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am the same Brenn. Have a cold now and came across your post as searching to see if anyone has posted the reason why.
  • brenn24179
    Options
    I did pretty well with my last cold, reminded myself I needed medicine not food! and sleep!

Also I ate lots of protein, my protein bars and peanut butter but also had some fast food but was a small hamburger and fries (for some reason I like this when sick).

ANytime I am uncomfortable I want to eat and have to remind myself this will pass! and I want to wear my spring clothes!