Feel like I'm losing my grip!

Options
When I started my weight loss journey I was doing great! I had superb willpower and a thirst for my workouts. Then I came down with the flu and had to stop everything. It had me down for 2 1/2 weeks. I got better and eased back into my routine. Now, weeks later, I am struggling! I feel so tired all the time, hungry constantly, and have no willpower. I don't know what to do. I know my hormones play a huge part in this because I have pcos and endometriosis as well as hypothyroidism. I'm just getting so depressed. I need the willful me back! Anyone ever faced this and what helped you?? I really need advice because I do not want to gain back what I've lost so far. I was feeling so great. :'(

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    motivation won't always be there, sometimes you just have to do it, whether you want to or not.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have PCO too, and insulin resistance. I understand the "haywire hormones."

When you boil it down, exercise helps you stay healthy and build muscle, but what you feed your body is what you need to focus on for now. I've lost my weight so far without much in the way of working out. Partly because I'm now finally able to do some things that I wasn't able to do before.

Even one of the surgeon's I spoke with said to get some of the weight off first, then you can start adding in things like exercise. Finding a nutritionist you can work with would be a big help too. One of mine told me to focus on lean/healthy proteins, and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty accurate.

I've also found that the better quality of food you have, the more of it you can have. There have been weeks that I've gone over my limit, but the foods I had were of decent enough quality that I either stayed the same or lost. Part of the trick is knowing that your body is going to resist your efforts to change, and hanging in there long enough to make it change.

One other thing that's been very helpful for me is my Fitbit. I LOVE IT. It's an activity monitor and syncs with MFP. My favorite chart is the one that shows calories in vs. calories out. If you burn more than you eat, you're going to lose weight.

For what it's worth, and good luck!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It's exciting when it's new. Less exciting when you're in the habit. Good news is: You're in the habit! You've gotten to the point where the honeymoon is over because you know what you're doing and the habits are settled in. Don't stop - keep building the habits - you'll feel better soon.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    Hi,
    I can relate to what you are dealing with. Been there, done that.
    And I know what it's like to lose that momentum and how difficult it is to get it back,
    especially when you are tired all the time and feeling depressed about yourself.
    When those times have come I have had to make a conscious effort to get
    back into eating healthy and exersizing, but in the beginning I usually
    take things pretty slow, especially the exersizing, until I start feeling better and less tired.
    Sometimes that can take a long time, but I just keep reminding myself that I only need to worry about
    what I can accomplish today and I don't concern myself with tomorrow or next
    week or next month.
    I don't know if this will help, I hope it does.
    Plus find some type of exersize that you really enjoy doing and start
    there, even if it's 10 minuts a day.
    Also give yourself some grace, you were sick and it does take time
    for your body to fully recover.
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hypthyroidism here too. This has really been a journey for me. I keep losing and regaining the same weight. Just understand this too shall pass. Hopefully you'll do better with the ups and downs than I have. Sorry I don't have an easy answer. The fact that you are aware and want to change is half the battle. Good luck.

On the positive side I am in much better shape! I feel pretty good most of the time even if I'm not at my ideal weight. I guess it's just a matter of priorities. Some of my friends have a "will of steel" I on the other hand do not. I'm more like a bouncy ball.
  • luvinna
    luvinna Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I understand, too. I was doing pretty good with everything and then I came down with a humdinger of a cold. The worst one I've had in years. It's sapped me of all energy and motivation and I feel like it's completely derailed my fitness goals. Usually my colds only last 3-5 days, but this one is going on 10 days. I'm trying to figure out how to get back into my routine, but it's been tough.

I agree with the person who said sometimes you just got to do it even when you don't want to. That's what I've started doing this week after taking a week off exercising. It's hard, and I'm even more exhausted when I finish than when I started, but I'm not going to let this cold beat me. Keep pushing through and it'll get better. :smile:
  • LaurLaur09
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I will take into account all advice and I appreciate it with all my heart. It is nice knowing others know how I feel right now. I wish you all the best in your journey and again, thanks for the help:-) xoxox