Kombucha

Options
rachi20024
rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
Hi fellow MFPers I have recently discovered a fermented tea drink called Kombucha and have started to make some. I was wondering if anyone is doing the same I have some questions. For those of you who don't know what this awesome tea is here
is a link :
http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/fermenting/kombucha.shtml

For those of you who want to try this concoction you can go to your local health food store and look for GT's Kombucha it is chocked full of goodness.:bigsmile:

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have tried to like it because it is very good for you, but is awful tasting............
  • kdhmiller
    kdhmiller Posts: 10
    Options
    I love it!!!1
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    I :heart: Kombucha!!! :love: I'm really bummed though b/c my Whole Foods stopped carrying my brand (GT's Synergy) since sometimes there's a bit extra alcohol due to the fermentation. Not a biggie for me but I understand their reticence to sell it. Now I'm on the hunt for a new supplier. :brokenheart:
  • jdorais
    jdorais Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    looks interesting. I wonder where one could find a starter culture in the states?
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    looks interesting. I wonder where one could find a starter culture in the states?
    You can make it all you need is

1 bottle Kombucha store bought make sure it is raw/organic like GT's
    1 teabag of black or green tea
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    1 glass jar ( I use a 3quart jar)
    1 clean cloth or cheese cloth and a rubber band

Clean and sanitize everything (vinegar is recommended) brew your black or green tea (length of steeping is up to you) add tablespoon of sugar and let it get to room temperature. Add your bottle of raw/organic kombucha and tea to jar. Put cloth over it and use a rubber band to seal well. Let sit for 3 weeks or until SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast) becomes 1/4 of an inch thick. In the summertime the SCOBY will grow faster. After your "mother" scoby is made you can brew Kombucha just look up recipes online there are many of them!