my 1st 5K run in 3 weeks- NEED TIPS ASAP!!!

Options
Im still a lil overweight, but have lost 20lbs (was 189 now at 168) I used to weight about 135-145 before my last two children. Anyways I entered a 5K run for the third week of April and need tips fast. I can already run 35 mins with an average of 140 ish...some days are higher some days I quit at 25 mins.
What are other useful tips to help me in this run? Eating tips? training tips? anything would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks for your support & motivation in advance :)

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you can already run for 35 minutes, you can probably do it, depending on your pace. Adrenaline will count for a lot on race day. Don't go out too fast, don't line up in the front. Walk if you have to and enjoy it.

other great tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?hl=your+first+race
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about a race vs a regular run on your own is the atmosphere. The atmosphere will make you feel great and like you can conquer anything. I would eat a light, easily digestible breakfast (my favorite is yogurt with some cereal mixed in) and hydrate well the night before. Give a couple hours of space after you eat until the run. No matter what your time is, enjoy the experience!
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is probably in poor sportsmanship, but I always pick out someone who looks about equal to me in fitness/maybe a little less fit than me and swear to God that I'm going to beat them. If I get well ahead of them, I zero in on someone else, etc. I'm sure they figure it out and hate me forever, but you know...it's a race!

Also, don't start out too fast. It sucks to be 1 mile from the finish and have no more get up and go.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you will do well if you can already run 35 min. Good luck you will do well
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's just a fun run, just go and run or walk or combo of both. Have a good time, don't worry about your time or pace or what anyone else is doing. Lots of people do run/walk intervals and unless you crawl on your hands and knees it's highly unlikely you'll be last. A 5K doesn't require special eating or any big plans. I run 5K 3 times a week as my regular runs. Just get as many runs in as you are comfortable with before the date, take the day before off and don't eat anything you wouldn't normally eat before the start.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    eat. sleep. run. don't injure yourself. i'm doing my first 5k in years in may. and this is what i'm doing. And mine's an obstacle course where i'm being chased by zombies. no, i'm not kidding. seemed like a good idea at the time.:wink:
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    1) dont do what I do, cuz its wrong, except I do just keep plugging at it.
    2) race with me. I "ran" one in dec & was last by at least 5-10 minutes. not really sure because I couldnt see the 2nd to last :) I'll make you look good. and i"m ok with that. everyone has to have a purpose....

ok, points to me, I am doing one 4/27 myself too. good luck.
  • malaised1202
    Options
    I'm new to doing 5k's myself, but if you can do 25-35 minutes, you are GOLDEN! You can do it! I ran my first 5k this year in 36 minutes. I did walk a little, but I feel pretty good about it. Just run as much as you can! The day before, eat healthy. Don't eat too much sodium, too much alcohol, too much junk, etc, so you don't feel bogged down. I'm doing 5k #2 for this spring, and am signed up for several more. I'm loving running and feeling fitter as the days go by. Keep it up!!
  • juleskitcat
    juleskitcat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can ABSOLUTELY do it! I started running to lose weight 3 yrs ago (had an injury and ate like a lil' pig and gained a lot back) HOWEVER - I was similar weight and as long as you keep practicing... I did my first 5k doing 10's and 1's (run 10, walk 1 min) and did it in 35 min. I then signed up for a Half Marathon! I did my first half in 2 hrs. 30 min (my goal time exactly!) Most important tip - believe in yourself... if i could do it - so can you!!!! I also ran with some friends (which included practicing with them too... - this was critical) Sometimes as we ran, we would just get in the grove, talking and catching up - that i FORGOT I was actually doing something "hard!" Best best of luck to you!!! Congrats!!!
  • sweetgrasswoman
    sweetgrasswoman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    OK....Thanks everyone for all of your input and support-- here I was thinking I "wasn't in shape yet" to even enter the race, but I need a goal to work towards! I think I will enter more races after this one- sounds fun now that I think of it :happy: Im actually looking forward to it now :blushing:
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    A lot of people make it a walk/run. And everyone is a winner in a 5K. It's great for just about every body type who has been doing some walking prior.

I ran one last weekend with my son, and he doesn't normally have asthma issues, but his lungs froze up in the cool, morning air. My daughter and I had taken a preventive puff on an inhaler. Now, I'll know that he needs that on cool days, also. His lungs burned a lot, keeping him from even jogging as much as he had during conditioning in a climate controlled environment (treadmill).

So...if weather is cooler than you are used to, a couple trial runs, even at 1.5 miles will help you know how you'll respond, what to wear, etc. Be sure when you are done to keep walking or stretching...it will help with sore muscles.

Also, explore the route and see if there will be any hills. Some routes through smaller towns only have hills, and if you are not used to them, a few training routes on some hills will help...your calves will thank you later!