do i need protein?

Options
So I have been thinking about looking into getting some Whey, a then i realized i really don't know anything about it. do i even need it?

so heres a little about me, I'm 22, 158 cm tall ( a little over 5.1), 61 ish kgs ( going up and down a bit at the moment) i eat 1200 a day and eat back my exercise cals. (just about to rise them as I'm almost at my goal) I work out 3-4 times a week doing a mix of cardio and weight training with a TRX last being one of those day, I walk/jog at lest once on the weekends and Pretty much everyday i am over in protein some times by double.

Can anyone tell me how i could benefit from adding whey to my diet, What does it do? how can it help with weight loss and toning?

what kind of whey would you suggest? and when to use it?

anything info would be so helpful, as i said i really don't know much about it, thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• malaised1202
    Options
    I don't know how many grams of protein you are getting, but yes you need protein! I drink whey protein after I work out if it will be a while before I eat a meal. Your muscles need the protein to rebuild. You don't want to lose muscle, you want to lose fat. I'd say buy some if you often go a while after working out before you would eat some protein in a meal.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i prefer whey over soy protein. protein is essential for this journey. you can do a search on the forums for all the benefits of protein.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Whey is useful for after a workout. But it can also be added to many recipes to add more protein. I like the one for protein pancakes. If you do a lot of strength training I would definitely invest in getting some!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You certainly need protein, but you don't necessarily need protein powder. Powder is a good convenient way to add more protein to your diet without having to eat more meat, cottage cheese, etc. You should be getting 95+ grams of protein a day. This will help you preserve your lean mass as much as possible.
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't think you really need to supplement it if you go over every day, but I'm no expert so let's see how others weigh in on the topic.
  • ducktasim
    ducktasim Posts: 13
    Options
    Yes you need protein, helps recovery, be aware however if you keep track of your carbohydrates, protein can be turned into a carbohydrate, you body is very efficient so if it is given to it, it will either use it to run important organs or if unused store as fat. I am not saying don't have protein, just saying to be careful of the amounts.. Google.it actually a interesting read :-)
  • jnackenson
    jnackenson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    "Simply put, resistance training stimulates muscle protein synthesis (the process of building new muscle tissue) and provides your muscles with the nutrients needed to grow. Consuming whey protein powder after training stimulates muscle growth to a greater degree than other forms of protein (although new science suggests that plant-based rice protein may be a legitimate alternative)1.
    Ideally, whey protein powder should be consumed with a fast-digesting carb source, as this amplifies the impact of supplemental whey protein on optimal muscle protein synthesis.2 While there has been some controversy over the ideal time to take whey protein, most research suggests consumption within three hours after a workout. This contrasts conventional wisdom popularized by “muscle magazines,” which mandate slamming a protein shake immediately after finishing a workout3 4.
    Beyond the muscle-building effects of protein, numerous studies have shown that whey protein can reduce muscle loss (aka catabolism) while dieting5."

article: http://www.leanitup.com/part-iii-science-based-supplement-recommendations-the-simple-beginners-guide-to-strength-and-muscle-building/
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Also, the default MFP protein levels are way too low.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    i prefer whey over soy protein. protein is essential for this journey. you can do a search on the forums for all the benefits of protein.

Im worried that whey might upset my tummy, is there a reason you prefer it over soy?
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    You certainly need protein, but you don't necessarily need protein powder. Powder is a good convenient way to add more protein to your diet without having to eat more meat, cottage cheese, etc. You should be getting 95+ grams of protein a day. This will help you preserve your lean mass as much as possible.

I know i need protein, But i am i getting enough was what i should of said. The last week i have had a average of 90 grams a day, Thats without thinking about it. i have protein with every meal as it keeps me fuller for longer.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    so as long as I'm getting enough from food i do not HAVE to have whey?
    there's nothing else in the stuff that's better than the food form of protein? ( that might sounds stupid haha)
  • jonnythan
    Options

I know i need protein, But i am i getting enough was what i should of said. The last week i have had a average of 90 grams a day, Thats without thinking about it. i have protein with every meal as it keeps me fuller for longer.

90-100 grams a day should be your target. If you're getting that much, then don't bother with protein powder unless you want to. You should also be getting about 40 grams of fat a day.

Soy can have certain hormone-like effects. Whey is more easily absorbed and has a lighter taste.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    [/quote]

90-100 grams a day should be your target. If you're getting that much, then don't bother with protein powder unless you want to. You should also be getting about 40 grams of fat a day.

Soy can have certain hormone-like effects. Whey is more easily absorbed and has a lighter taste.
    [/quote]

Thank you, I would really prefer not to have it as i heard it can be quite costly. Yip my fat is usually around there as well but fat is something i do need to be more aware of as i can be quite low at times all so.

:flowerforyou:

edit: not sure what happened to my quoting just then
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    So I have been thinking about looking into getting some Whey, a then i realized i really don't know anything about it. do i even need it?

so heres a little about me, I'm 22, 158 cm tall ( a little over 5.1), 61 ish kgs ( going up and down a bit at the moment) i eat 1200 a day and eat back my exercise cals. (just about to rise them as I'm almost at my goal) I work out 3-4 times a week doing a mix of cardio and weight training with a TRX last being one of those day, I walk/jog at lest once on the weekends and Pretty much everyday i am over in protein some times by double.

Can anyone tell me how i could benefit from adding whey to my diet, What does it do? how can it help with weight loss and toning?

what kind of whey would you suggest? and when to use it?

anything info would be so helpful, as i said i really don't know much about it, thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

whey is a powdered, processed, food product packaged in a tub for convenience. That's it. That being said I have a shake sometimes 1 to 3 times a day due to my work schedule.

The answer is you do need to have protein in your diet you do NOT need whey protein but it can be a nice convenience item.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes, you NEED protein. It is essential for so many of the body's activities. No, you don't NEED protein supplements, but some people find them convenient. From your own description, you're already well over your daily protein goals - sometimes by double. However, if your goals are set low on protein (MFP settings are kinda low) and you work out a lot, you might find protein supplements to be helpful.

I think a lot of people are just chugging protein shakes as a fad right now. But a lot of people CAN find benefit from them. It depends on the individual situation. I wouldn't waste my money on them unless I had a good reason. Most of those shakes are loaded with tons of additives, preservatives, sugar, etc. Getting your nutrients from whole foods is generally the better route.

I happen to use a protein supplement because I have some intense work outs and I have a digestive disorder that makes getting enough protein from whole foods a bit of a challenge. I don't use whey protein, though, since milk protein is one of the foods I can't consume. I use a blend of pea, hemp and cranberry proteins with a complete amino acid profile that is unflavored, unsweetened and preservative free. It's easy to digest and doesn't really taste like much of anything, so it's easy to blend with your own fruits or cocoa powder or whatever flavor you want to make it.

Go ahead and look into protein supplements. Do your research and try to avoid some of the cheaper products with bazillions of ingredients on the label. And watch the sugar content. Some of them are definately NOT diet drinks!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Thank you, I would really prefer not to have it as i heard it can be quite costly. Yip my fat is usually around there as well but fat is something i do need to be more aware of as i can be quite low at times all so.

:flowerforyou:

edit: not sure what happened to my quoting just then

I don't know how it is in Aussieland, but whey is cheaper per gram of protein than almost any other food source in the US. A 2-lb tub that has 30 servings of 24g protein is typically about $25, which gives you 28 grams per dollar. A pound of chicken breast is typically about $4 and has 92 grams of protein, so that gives you 23 grams of protein per dollar. Just for comparison. A can of tuna gives you 20 grams of protein and costs 90 cents, so that's 22 grams of protein per dollar.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You need to consume between .7-1.1 grams of protein a day for every 1 pound of LEAN body weight. NOT your total weight, but your lean pounds. You can get a BMI reading to ascertain your lean body weight.

Since you are active you need closer to the 1.1 gram per pound than the .7.

Did you know that egg white is 100% protein ?......Food for thought.

I think you would be hard pressed to consume too much protein.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Yeah that is cheap! I'm not sure if i would be able to find good whey for that price over here!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    You need to consume between .7-1.1 grams of protein a day for every 1 pound of LEAN body weight. NOT your total weight, but your lean pounds. You can get a BMI reading to ascertain your lean body weight.

Since you are active you need closer to the 1.1 gram per pound than the .7.

Did you know that egg white is 100% protein ?......Food for thought.

I think you would be hard pressed to consume too much protein.

I eat 3 eggs for breakfast everyday! :smile:

I know last time i checked my BMI was 24.4, And i work in kgs so i have know idea how to work that out LOL :laugh: