Quinoa

Options
Made it for the first time and I don't really like it......disappointed :(

Replies

• TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    How did you make it? I used the Land O Lakes Saute Express. I add one to a batch and it tasted really good. No rice, but it will do. I was advised that seasoning makes all the difference with it . Plain is, well, plain.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't have much taste at all on it's own. It's really, really important to super rinse it before you cook it or it will have a bitter taste. I usually add it to soups, stews, mixtures like that rather than eat it plain.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    First off, I didn't rinse it.....maybe that's why it tasted like dirt....LOL!!! I cooked it with onion, vegetable stock and seasoned with garlic powder. I'm not giving up yet, I'm gonna try once more and wash it!!
  • char418
    char418 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa but I never eat it plain.(I've also never rinsed it) Cold veggie salad w/ feta cheese. To bulk up mexican w/ black beans, etc. Added to my soup or chili. With lots of yummy sauteed veggies on top. There is a "Seeds of Change" rice & quinoa mix that you just zap in the microwave -- too expensive for me but that was my transition to quinoa. Very yummy.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    First off, I didn't rinse it.....maybe that's why it tasted like dirt....LOL!!! I cooked it with onion, vegetable stock and seasoned with garlic powder. I'm not giving up yet, I'm gonna try once more and wash it!!

It's nasty unrinsed, isn't it? Do give it another try. I have also read there is such a thing as no-rinse quinoa but I have not come across it yet.
  • nwsunshinemomo
    Options
    rinse it - rinse it good - even if you buy the kind that says it doesn't require it. Season it with just about anything - I always add grated lemon - sometimes avocado, sometimes broccoli. My grandchildren are even starting to like it. Give it another try.

Quick tip for using all of your lemon - just freeze the whole lemon, then grate what you need into your recipes or drink. No waste and a wonderful light lemony taste. I just toss it back in the freezer til I need it again.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    must rinse. Taste like *kitten* if you don't. Rinse and seasoning is key