Egg white vs Whole Egg.... no differece in taste to me

Options
I just wanted to share something I figured out today.

Growing up the very first thing I ever learned to cook ( I was 9) was scrambled eggs of course back then my Grandma taught me to put LARD in the pan... ewwwww:noway: :ohwell: . Well I am much older now and the world and I are much wiser about food choices.:happy:

So today I cooked my very first egg white only. I was a little scepticle about how much it would taste different but you know; it really didn't taste different and was yummy on my sandwich for lunch.

I am so happy that I can now cut down those extra calories without losing one of my favorite foods. :heart:

Replies

• alphaip
    alphaip Posts: 86
    Options
    Way to go - Then you'll love this:

Egg Whites w/ Skim Milk and a tsp. of truvia or splenda makes a great batter for French Toast. I use the Nature's Own Sugar Free Whole Wheat (50 calories slice) and top with sugar free maple syrup and cinnamon - I skip the butter.

It tastes wonderful - and I'm sure if I had real french toast side-by-side in a taste test, I could tell a bigger difference, but as a standalone breakfast.

Also, if you're short on time Egg Beaters makes "all whites" - no additives - just egg whites.
  • jdorais
    jdorais Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Egg whites still have that "egg-y goodness". I love em!
  • ieatstickers
    ieatstickers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree! I was shocked since most people say it tastes horrible. I have them every morning now. Dare I say I think it tastes even better? It doesn't have that weird smell sometimes yolks can give off...or maybe that's just me...
  • chronosfire
    Options
    I love egg whites! I make those Hungry Girl Egg Mug recipies all the time for breakfast, and I honestly can't tell the difference between the whites and using a real egg.
  • angelascott919
    Options
    Way to go - Then you'll love this:

Egg Whites w/ Skim Milk and a tsp. of truvia or splenda makes a great batter for French Toast. I use the Nature's Own Sugar Free Whole Wheat (50 calories slice) and top with sugar free maple syrup and cinnamon - I skip the butter.

It tastes wonderful - and I'm sure if I had real french toast side-by-side in a taste test, I could tell a bigger difference, but as a standalone breakfast.

Also, if you're short on time Egg Beaters makes "all whites" - no additives - just egg whites.

wow I will try that, sounds wonderful
  • claw0416
    claw0416 Posts: 95
    Options
    I was surprised at how great they taste too..I actually never cared much for the yoke when making hard boiled or fried..Did love them for omlettes, and scrambled..But I have actually been able to get that same taste from scrambled and my omlettes. I have been making a kinda western scrambled egg white. I put 1/4 cup of egg whites, which is 4 tablespoons in the pan with chopped onions, green peppers, low fat skim cheese ( a few sprinkles) and sometime I either chop up a slice of deli cut ham or delie cut chicken and scramble all that..I don't use milk in mine or oil in the pan..I do use the spray (lightly) That actually gets me really full..I do still take in about an ounce of yogurt too..ok..sorry rambling..LOL I just wanted to add I love the egg whites too..sorry!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    When I fix egg whites I always use an egg ring. My little crazy mind thinks I'm eating more.:laugh:
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    They taste fine, but the texture seems to be off. I've been eating whites only for about 2 years but I'm adding one regular egg for texture. Still my number one food, you get a pretty awesome amount of food for the calories.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Eggs got a bad reputation back in the 80's. Egg whites are a great source of lean protein but offer little else in the nutrition department, the yolk is where it's at. Try eating one egg and one egg white, you'll keep the fat down but still get the nutrition the yolk has to offer.

Egg yolks offer more calcium, phosphorus, selenium, Vitamin B6, Folate, B12, vitamins A, E, D, K and essential fatty acids DHA (omega 3 fat) and AA (omega 6 fat) and more caotenoids and no EPA like fish, LESS sodium.

DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) essential fatty acids are necessary for brain and eye function.
    AA(arachidonic acid) is required for healthy skin, hair, libido, reproduction, growth and the body's response to injury.
    EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) is found in fish and can interfere with or block AA and effects metabolism.

So in other words eggs are pretty good, in moderation like all other foods so if you like to have a couple of eggs a week it is ok to eat the yolk.
  • starlitkate
    starlitkate Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What would ya'll recommend for a number of eggs to cook for breakfast if I were to switch to eating just egg whites. There isn't much egg using just the whites so that's why I'm asking. TY :)
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I chose to eat the whole egg based on my Dr's advice. I can eat egg whites and will only use the white when cooking often but I like eating the yolk and he told me its full of things that are good for my body.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Eggs got a bad reputation back in the 80's. Egg whites are a great source of lean protein but offer little else in the nutrition department, the yolk is where it's at. Try eating one egg and one egg white, you'll keep the fat down but still get the nutrition the yolk has to offer.

Egg yolks offer more calcium, phosphorus, selenium, Vitamin B6, Folate, B12, vitamins A, E, D, K and essential fatty acids DHA (omega 3 fat) and AA (omega 6 fat) and more caotenoids and no EPA like fish, LESS sodium.

DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) essential fatty acids are necessary for brain and eye function.
    AA(arachidonic acid) is required for healthy skin, hair, libido, reproduction, growth and the body's response to injury.
    EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) is found in fish and can interfere with or block AA and effects metabolism.

So in other words eggs are pretty good, in moderation like all other foods so if you like to have a couple of eggs a week it is ok to eat the yolk.

I don't mind the taste of the whites on their own, but I do like some yolks now and then for the reasons mentioned here (I've heard and I believe, it is important to get yolks from free range chickens or ones fed enriched food if you want all of the benefits.as the yolks from conventionally raised chickens are pretty lacking in all the goodies.)

That said, I DO eat a lot of egg whites! I recently started buying them online by the gallon. (Yes. GALLONS of egg whites!) from http://www.eggwhitesint.com

More convenient for me than buying dozens upon dozens of eggs at the store or a million little cartons of the All Whites. In fact, I have to go get an egg casserole out of the oven right now! (Bake ahead and cut up. Store in the fridge and reheat for an easy breakfast!)
  • alphaip
    alphaip Posts: 86
    Options
    I use 4 to 5 for breakfast - they are only 15 calories each, and all the protein is in the white....
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have been supplementing some of my recipes with egg whites, rather than whole eggs, as well. I made a cake a couple of weeks ago with a white cake mix, but substituted the 3 eggs with 4 egg whites and used applesauce instead of oil. The filling was strawberry yogurt and the icing was lite cool whip (leave off and put on individual serving unless serving the whole thing at once). There are a lot of changes I am making that I never thought of before.
  • lifechanges06
    lifechanges06 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had my 1st egg white too. I was wondering how it would taste not much different i made 1 egg white and used pam in the pan and put cajun spice on it because i was thinking it was gonna be yucky, lol. just in case, right! but i put it on an english muffin with slice of cheese and low fat or fat free ham, no butter nothing else and it was good. didnt miss the butter on the muffin( i did toast it). it was pretty good.
    yummo :):drinker:
  • lifechanges06
    lifechanges06 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    this sounds so good, gonna try it this weekend. do u know if those coffee creamers, the flavored ones can be used instead of that, what is the calories in them i wonder? does anyone know?

thanks for the great idea
    sharon
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I use 4 to 5 for breakfast - they are only 15 calories each, and all the protein is in the white....

white contains 3.6 grams and the yolk contain 2.7g
  • MsCoconut
    MsCoconut Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Last night I was just telling myself I need to start eating egg whites instead of whole egg for breakfast!