Does one cheat day hurt?

Options
Yesterday I've noticed how my body was lazy and tired so I ate food to increase the energy. Then I got carried away.... To stuffing my face along with A LOT of dessert. Weighting myself this morning, I've gained three pounds! From one night... and even though I'm back to my exercise and diet routine, I still can't help but think about the horrendous mistake I've made of eating a load last night to the point it looked like a food baby.

I try to justify my actions to say this is needed , since I was hitting a plateau, but this explanation is probably not true.

Anyone have been through this? How did you bounce back from it?

Replies

• NaCL_H20
    NaCL_H20 Posts: 24
    Options
    Do not be afraid. You didnt get "fat" overnight just like you cant get "skinny" overnight. When you cheat which you will from time to time you may add a bunch of carbs/sodium which will cause water retention. If you dont keep binging you will notice it drop pretty quick. But it is not fat just water weight.
  • ritarn916
    ritarn916 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is not considered failing if you do not stick to your diet for one day. Actually in the past when I have found that my weight have hit a plateau, I have to eat foods that I normally wouldn't eat to give my body a little something to work on. I thing if you eat right and work out for five days this week, your body will burn that 3 lbs and you'll get a little boost in your metabolism. I've done it before and just became very strict for a least two weeks and became really fit pretty quickly.

Nothing I can say to validate this besides the fact that I am still the same weight I was in high school and this is 22 years later and 3 children later.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    One day off the rails won't affect your progress in the long run, and that weight you gained is mostly water weight - there's no way it's fat, so don't sweat it.

How do you bounce back? Just move on and get back on track right away.

If it'll make you feel better, check out my diary from yesterday (I, too, enjoyed a bunch of dessert, among other delicious things). Then note my day today - back in the saddle!
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i allow myself a cheat day...but for only 1 meal. I try not to go over board. You are right that if you cheat too much...it is like you crave more, and you just get lost in the cycle. For instance...i will cheat with take out pizza...but i get mushrooms on it...and put my own turkey pepperoni on it. I splurge on the crust, and dont' go thin, and have 2 large squares...for dessert with that cheat i allow myself a ice cream sandwhich. I do it on the day after i have weighed-in...that way i can recover the rest of the week for next weigh-in.

They say that everyone has different taste buds...therefore you have different cravings. Mine are sweets, bread, and pizza. When i eat those kinds of foods..i have a hard time stopping at a small portion. i have learned to find certain sweets and pizza that i can control myself with.

Dr. Oz said on t.v. one time that everyone's taste buds will take in different flavors of the same sweet. For some it might be just ok..but for another, they might just explode in delight! Makes total sense to me.

How many calories are you eating?? I noticed that a lot of people on here that hit a plateau have increased thier calories a little. Sometimes not eating enough will put your body in starvation mode...and you can start storing fat because of it. Others have said that they were not totally tracking everything to a T. I am a bad member of the BLT's. Bites, licks, and tastes. I think that if i take a little this or that... i dont' need to count it. Well...it all counts. By the time i cook a meal...i could have had one before i eat it...just taste testing it! lol! How about kids...I use to eat off thier plates...it is just one bite! How many time a day though... for 3 meals? Those were a lot of my bad habits before i joined MFP...and w.w.!!! Just a thought.
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My last sushi visit cost me 4 days of progress, but not, they don't hurt permanently. And most people don't have $80 worth of sushi.
  • ctroxell2004
    Options
    When I was realy strict with my diet-I used to eat really well during the week and pretty much let myself have whatever I wanted on the weekend-within reason and I seemed to lose weight pretty well-
  • Jenn73104
    Jenn73104 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! I ate AWFUL all weekend and gained back 3 lbs and was feeling horrible yesterday when I stepped on the scale. =( So yesterday I had a good day and worked out and this morning the 3 lbs was gone. I think if we weigh after eating a lot of junk it's not a true weight gain just the scale is up a few lbs.. It definitely makes me not want to splurge again the whole weekend! A lil bit is okay but not like I did..
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My last sushi visit cost me 4 days of progress, but not, they don't hurt permanently. And most people don't have $80 worth of sushi.

I used to do this every 2 months or so. I'm a sushi fiend!
  • rvhorsburgh
    rvhorsburgh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer says you need a cheat day once in a while to reset your Lectin (starvation hormone) level so you don't plateau. I don't plan them because they happen naturally with dinner out or dinner parties, holidays, you name it. I try to keep it together for two weeks then try to still error on responsible at social gatherings or special occasions. Knowing you are going to have a setback, tends to extinguish the desire for a cheat day.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    See how it works out. If you break throug the plataeu, then you discovered a new weight loss tool for your body & could even schedule one in every so often. But, if you find it only hinders your progress (emotionally & physically) then I would take a drive, bubble bath, chat group or chew gum when the urge/thought is there. Take care!:smile:
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 10500 over what you burned, it's impossible for you to have actually gained 3 pounds. Probably water weight depending on how much sodium was in what you ate, and food that's still passing through your system. :)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I used to do this every 2 months or so. I'm a sushi fiend!

$80???

You need to find less expensive sushi. There's a place near my house that's $25 for all you can eat.

My record is 56 pieces - I usually go about every two months as well - or the night before a race.
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    It's different for every person and a lot of people will say you need to be strict 7 days a week. I work a desk job Monday-Friday, so I work out in the mornings and try to stay within my cals everyday. On the weekends, I'm a lot more active! I allow myself to eat more food and eat back the exercise cals that I'm burning through activity as long as it's within reason. Heck, I cheated on Sunday by eating wayyyy too much ( I had planned to workout, but then felt miserable) and I'm still going to have a 2lb loss this week because I follow the same routine. If you want to lose and have it be a permanent part of your life, you have to do what works best for you. If a cheat day a week is enough to keep you motivated and on target every other day, then I don't see what the big deal is!
  • lokecheer
    lokecheer Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm probably eating around 800-900 calories, being that with my schedule with school, I'm always running around and on the go, and hence the splurge lol. I just fear that I won't be able to lose the weight in time before I go back home from school. Right now I am 140 (143 after the binge) and trying to get to 128 by May 11th.
  • lokecheer
    Options
    My personal trainer says you need a cheat day once in a while to reset your Lectin (starvation hormone) level so you don't plateau. I don't plan them because they happen naturally with dinner out or dinner parties, holidays, you name it. I try to keep it together for two weeks then try to still error on responsible at social gatherings or special occasions. Knowing you are going to have a setback, tends to extinguish the desire for a cheat day.

That's what I have heard as well, and it's always the third week of my diet that I end up having a cheat day. I did keept it strong, however, for two weeks.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Honestly, I'm probably eating around 800-900 calories, being that with my schedule with school, I'm always running around and on the go, and hence the splurge lol. I just fear that I won't be able to lose the weight in time before I go back home from school. Right now I am 140 (143 after the binge) and trying to get to 128 by May 11th.

Then you're probably way under-eating, and doing more harm than good (losing lean body mass, negatively affecting your metabolism, etc.), and that's also probably why you were so hungry. Why not eat at a healthier and more sustainable level, and achieve your goals in a more realistic manner? When you have so little weight to lose, half a pound a week at most is a reasonable expectation.
  • lokecheer
    Options

Then you're probably way under-eating, and doing more harm than good (losing lean body mass, negatively affecting your metabolism, etc.), and that's also probably why you were so hungry. Why not eat at a healthier and more sustainable level, and achieve your goals in a more realistic manner? When you have so little weight to lose, half a pound a week at most is a reasonable expectation.

I've been eating a lot of apples, grapes, carrots, and other fruits and salad as meals, along with chicken for the protein. I wonder if I should boost up the protein intake?
  • cmeiron
    Options

I've been eating a lot of apples, grapes, carrots, and other fruits and salad as meals, along with chicken for the protein. I wonder if I should boost up the protein intake?

Those are definitely all great foods. Upping protein may not be a bad idea (can't see your diary but will assume that you're using default MFP settings). Why not keep all those nice fruits and veg, and add on some extra lean protein (fish, pork, eggs) and healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts etc) on top of it. You can up your cals that way and fuel your body properly so you can workout more effectively and retain muscle a bit better.
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    only 800-900 calories??? I would starve!!! When i weighed 140 i was eating 1300 a day. Why don't you try like 1200 caloreis and see what happens. Just for one week. Is 800-900 calories a drastic change from what you were doing in the past?? Are you just starting out??
  • lokecheer
    Options
    only 800-900 calories??? I would starve!!! When i weighed 140 i was eating 1300 a day. Why don't you try like 1200 caloreis and see what happens. Just for one week. Is 800-900 calories a drastic change from what you were doing in the past?? Are you just starting out??

I will, i just had a hard reaching it since i've replaced a lot of foods i used to eat with fruits & veggies and ended up getting full faster. now im just gonna try add more protein.