losing weight with while taking adderall?

Options
So, I"m on 40 milligrams of Adderall for my ADHD, and it completely suppresses my appetite. I'll try to eat, and even though I'll be super hungry, after one or two bites, it's almost enough to make me throw up.

Is anyone on this right now/has been in the past? How do you make sure to get enough food so that you don't go into starvation mode?

Any ideas would be great. thanks!

Replies

• maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting on adderall now. I literally started it today. What did you notice? I'm hoping it helps me get back in shape, though I really do need it for my ADD, but the side effects seem like they should help my diet. My appetite seems to be less now, but I assume I will get used to it.
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth...at least in my (and many other MFPer's) opinion.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    The general consensus, so far as I can gather, is that starvation mode is real, but the effect that it has on your body is highly over-exaggerated and to get to the point that people think of when they talk about it you would have to be SEVERELY under-nourished (like, war camp gulag victim type undernourished).

The problem really comes in the fact that eating so little likely would mean that you aren't getting many of the vitamins, nutrients and minerals that your body needs.

On to the topic at hand, I've been on adderall for a little under half a year now. My experience hasn't been the same. There has been some appetite suppression, but I can eat just fine without feeling sick. The main thing it does for me is focus me so much on what I'm doing (especially when I am at work and have one thing to focus on for 10 hours) that I just forget to eat. Even when I feel that I'm hungry, I'll think to myself "Time to go eat something...I'm on a roll though, I'll just finish what I'm doing here" and I'll keep putting it off.

Two things I'd be curious about --

-- How long ago did you start? It took my body about two months to get used to having it in my system, so that the effects were fully realized and the diet suppression part toned down.

-- When you say 40 milligrams, what do you mean? Is it an XR pill that you take once a day? Do you take two 40mg pills/day? Or is it two 20 mg pills a day to make the 40? I just ask because if it IS two 40mg pills/day, then I'd talk to your doctor about reducing since most places seem to agree that that is too much.

That's all I got, I wish you the best!!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking an ADHD medication, but I have a family member who did, and work with children who are this or similar medication. The appetite suppression side effect is quite common, but should diminish with time. Many people find that it helps to eat a big nutritious breakfast before they take the first pill, and a substantial meal or snack after it wears off. In the middle of the day, eat small healthy snacks that are calorie-dense like nuts, peanut butter or cheese on crackers, or greek yogurt. Some people find that even if they are not hungry, they can drink something like a smoothie, kefir, or even a big glass of chocolate milk to get some calories in during the day.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I am guessing you are pretty new to taking this drug? But then I am not sure because you have a pretty high dose. But I have been taking it for about 3 years and it does somewhat help me as far as appetite goes. But no where near as extreme as you have it. Like most mental health drugs it takes your body about a month to fully get used to it. Best of luck to you!
  • schrickxy
    Options
    I'm on 20mg of adderall every day (well I try to take it as little as possible, but for tests etc it's necessary). I take it right when I start breakfast, so I finish before it kicks in. I try to get as much protein and carbs in then, because like you said, if I try to eat a lot later it makes me want to vomit. I can usually manage small portions of fruits and veggies throughout the rest of the day, though, which is good. My problem is when it wears off in the evening, I am STARVING and it takes everything in me not to eat my whole pantry right before I go to sleep haha
  • Misslindsey002
    Options
    I've been taking adderall for about 3 years now on and off. I take 60mg (two 30mg pills). I lost a lot of weight the few months I started taking it. I was 165 and got down to 135. I started taking it again in August, and it's December now. I've lost only 24 pounds. I was 200 and now I'm 176! So to answer your question; You just have to get used to it. After a while you get your appetite back. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just stay hydrated and drink lots of water when you don't feel hungry.

Hope this helps! ????
  • Gator2009
    Options
    Try supplementing your diet with protein drinks like BOOST or ENSURE.

They are an excellent option for a meal substitute.

Especially if you do not have an appetite but know that you need nutrition.

Take care
  • amartin7889
    Options
    So, I"m on 40 milligrams of Adderall for my ADHD, and it completely suppresses my appetite. I'll try to eat, and even though I'll be super hungry, after one or two bites, it's almost enough to make me throw up.

Is anyone on this right now/has been in the past? How do you make sure to get enough food so that you don't go into starvation mode?

Any ideas would be great. thanks!

Eat in the morning before you take your medication. I usually feel hungry in the morning when I wake up. Drink protein shakes in the afternoon if you are feeling full. The medication should wear off in the evening, so you should be able to eat some dinner.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Get a large breakfast and then take your meds. Also sometime I eat even through I feel sick but like half a protein bar. I have never threw up just felt like it. I have been on this med for about five years and those effects lessen with time
  • getjigy
    getjigy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been morbidly obese for years now and always felt "stuck" in my weight loss battle. I finally found a Doctor who told me about Adderall and also started treating my PCOS. It has changed my life. I have lost 23 lbs in the last month and a half. I am also tracking my calories and working out though. I am not relying on a pill to loose the weight. The medication does help me focus, finish tasks, and helps in my decision making process.

My doctor requires a monthly office visit to monitor my blood pressure and blood work. A good Doctor is key and taking the medication as directed. It can be a good thing.

Anyway, that is my testimony. :)
  • CleoO6
    CleoO6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Let me apologize, in advance, for how long this is! It's my first post, but I wanted to give my two cents, because Adderall is actually the reason I joined MFP!

I was on Adderall for 7 years, with a small break after my 2nd year. My dosage ranged from 10mg. to 30mg. I quit about 7 weeks ago, because there were just too many negative side effects (especially after long term use) that outweigh any benefits to me now.

I will say the initial weight loss is amazing. I was already slim & fit when I started taking it (5'8 and 137lbs. and I had been teaching dance and exercise classes for about 8 years at that point.) I think I started at 10mg. 2x daily. After about 3 months, my weight dropped to 121lbs. and people were asking if I was sick. I brought it back up to 128 and stayed there for the next 3 years or so.

One of the major issues I have with Adderall is that your body does develop a tolerance to the drug, and rather quickly for some people. You will eventually need more of the drug to get the same full effects of it. It still helped me focus on what I needed to do, but the appetite suppressing effect does wear off.

I think it also lowered my metabolism significantly. I skipped LOTS of meals in the beginning, and never ate breakfast (EVER), A.) because it diminishes the effects of the drug and B.) because I just wasn't hungry. I also stopped exercising, because my heart would race if I tried to do anything really active, and that scared me. Around the 4th or 5th year of use, I started slowly gaining weight, so slowly that I really didn't worry about it…….then I weighed myself last year and realized I weighed nearly 160lbs! I also was having blood sugar issues (symptoms similar to pre-diabetes) and hormonal problems which, from what I've read, are both linked to long term stimulant use.

So, I decided to quit taking Adderall, and started "dieting", using the methods that had worked for me in the past, without any trouble (low carb, no snacks, etc). After a month, I hadn't lost a single pound. In fact, I had put on 4 extra lbs. over a 2 week period. I joined MFP on Feb. 12th, weighing 165lbs. I have been staying at around 1200 calories, and doing strength training classes and lots of walking with weights. I have lost 3 lbs so far……not nearly as much as I'd hoped, but at least it's something. I'm feeling better overall, and those diabetic symptoms have pretty much vanished.

I just hope that everyone who begins taking this DRUG really, REALLY researches it's effects, both short and long-term. It seems like a "magic" bullet weight loss pill, but I promise you - these "benefits" are short-lived. It is a HIGHLY addictive, schedule II drug and it's use is easily validated because your doctor gives it to you. I know it works miracles for some, but, truly, I wish I had never taken it.
  • krissy618
    Options
    hi, i know i'm late to the party but i also have been on adderall for about 2 years now. i used to weigh 188. on adderall, i got down to 160 and one time even 158 putting me at a total of 30 lbs lost. i felt great, but like the other girl said- i wasn't eating right and i felt really bad if i tried to exercise on it. i barely ate anything throughout the day at work and then i would go home and eat dinner. i was prescribed 2 30mg a day of which i took. now, i've only been taking 1 a day for quite some time. my weight is back up to 178. it really really sucks. i followed weight watchers to the T for a whole week and went to the gym and ran for 4 days out of that week and didn't lose a single pound. so this week i switched to myfitnesspal even though i've used it in the past. i just wondered if anyone else has any tips for losing weight on adderall? i feel like i can't lose a pound no matter what i do and it's really depressing. i have friends that never exercise and i go to the gym all the time even when i'm not trying to lose weight but the scale won't budge...i'm considering asking my dr for a weight loss pill because at this point, i'm 5'3" and weigh 178 so my BMI is morbidly obese. i don't feel that fat, i have a big frame, but i want to be 160 again and i just feel hopeless right now...was wondering a year later if anyone on adderall had success in losing weight? :(
    Kristen
  • scottsgirl4lyfe2004
    scottsgirl4lyfe2004 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i am starting 30 mg 2x a day tomorrow i was on 20mg 2x a day though