Deli meat help!

Options
I'm having a hard time finding deli meats. I'm trying to go minimally processed, and I know the best thing is to make my own but does anyone have recommendations for brands at the deli counter? I'd prefer the type they slice for you versus pre packaged.

Currently I love the Hannaford Wildflower Honey Ham, but I'm not sure about the ingredients.

Ingredients: HAM, CURED WITH: WATER, WILDFLOWER HONEY, SALT, SUGAR, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE.

Thank you!

Replies

• lindsey_meola
    Options
    Bump!
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think your normal sort of deli meats are all going to be processed. Seems like the only way to get the giant, boneless, sliceable hunks of meat.
  • ctroxell2004
    Options
    I know that they have low sodium kinds in the case...and other things.

This summer I will be LIVING off sandwiches because I work in the heat-so if anyone has any idea that would be great!
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Nitrates are bad. No Trader Joe's or Whole Foods around?
    Just go back to peanut butter and jelly. Better still Almond Butter and jelly.
    I think that Boar's Head is nitrate free and Hannerfords may carry them.
  • sunshine4jess
    sunshine4jess Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? Is there a Whole Foods near you? Look for "All Natural"! It will be minimum ally processed and won't have all those "bad for you" ingredients like sodium phosphate, etc...
  • sunshine4jess
    sunshine4jess Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    TrishLG, Beat me to it!
  • ctroxell2004
    Options
    no whole foods or trader joes within MANY miles for me :(
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I worked in a deli. I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for. Once I realized this, I stopped buying deli meats basically 100%, because they're overprocessed. At least anything we carried or could get. Here's my suggestion

(1) make your own turkey salad/chicken salad/tuna salad/bean salad/eggs salad-style spread where you can control all the ingredients (this is what I do)
    (2) buy the presliced stuff so you can compare labels for as long as you need until you're satisfied (I sometimes do this)
    (3) buy a meat grinder/attachment, buy some organic sausage casings, and make your own sausages to cure and slice at home (I've tried some of this, and man is it delicious, but still full of salt)