Any healthy carrot cake recipes out there?

Options
Femmekid
Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
I LOVE carrot cake & I really want to make one for Easter. Any healthy carrot cake or cupcake recipes out there?

Replies

• moodyshannon15
    moodyshannon15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello! Try looking on Allrecipes.com I received a mini magazine with a recipe for a healthier version of carrot cake. The article is called..Healthy vs Not So Much. It give you 2 recipes. The 'healthy' one and a traditional one. Let me know if you can't find it.ill try to type it out for you.
  • sarabeartx
    sarabeartx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I make a carrot cake of sorts -- actually I eat them as cupcakes and/or breakfast muffins & they're delish! All it takes is a box of carrot cake mix (and sometimes I use spice cake mix to change it up) and one can of puréed pumpkin. Literally omit all the ingredients it says to add and just mix the can of pumpkin with the cake mix and put into muffin tin and cook as directed. Sometimes I add a dash of raw oatmeal for added fiber or just leave them as is. I swear they are so moist and equal out to about 140-160 calories a piece depending how big I make them! I hope this sort of helps for what you were looking for :))
  • Deanemo
    Deanemo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was looking at trying this one from EatingWell.com

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/carrot_cake.html
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would personally save the calories and just eat the real thing, but you can always do the pumpkin thing an above poster said, OR make tiny versions of the full flavor kind and limit your portions. ;)
    ETA: Nut flours are also a great substitute if you're looking to cut calories, and something tells me that pecan flour would make an OUT OF THIS WORLD carrot cake.
  • DoreeB2013
    Options
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/carrot-cake-50400000111142/

Great recipe and it cut huge calories from the regular recipe. Reg recipe was over 1,000 calories per slice, this one is under 300 per slice and tastes good.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.....:bigsmile:
  • jabrock9
    jabrock9 Posts: 65
    Options
    Sarabeartx, you're a genius! I made these this afternoon and my whole family loved them. Bonus, the house smells amazing!
  • elledeery
    elledeery Posts: 866
    Options

I have to second this post, I've made it as well, it's delish! :)
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    http://chefambershea.com/2013/05/06/practically-raw-desserts-recipe-enlightened-carrot-cake/

Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free Variation
    Low-Fat, Low-Calorie, No Added Sugars, Raw
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/04/peanut-butter-coconut-carrot-cake-squares/
    She has alot of vegan, healthy clean eating recipes!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I agree skinnytaste has an awesome carrot cake recipe
  • 4shani
    4shani Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. Can't wait to try!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    maybe if you replaced the sugar with splenda and found a healthy icing option:

1. mix 100g ground nuts (almond or filberts), 40g flour and 1tsp baking powder in a bowl.
    2. in a separate bowl mix 100g sugar (or splenda) 1 pinch salt and 2 egg yolks until light, add peel of 1/2 lemon and a tbsp of lemon juice. optional: add a pinch of ground cinnamon and maybe cloves.
    3. add 100g of grated carrots.
    4. beat the two egg whites and layer them into the mix along with the nut/flour mixture.
    5. pour it in a square 9" baking pan (about 1/2-1" thick) and throw it in the cold oven. turn it on to 350F. bake about 30 minutes, until stick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
    5. cool on wire rack, cut into 4 squares, layer them with cream or icing.

makes plenty of cake for 2, or a snack for 4.

for the icing i just took store bought cream cheese frosting and mixed it 50:50 with sour cream - a bit runny, but tastey.

you can even cut the ingredients in half and make muffins or cupcakes from the mixture (that was my thought last time, since i just felt soo guilty after eating half the cake).
  • ALittlePixieDust
    ALittlePixieDust Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • Ashleigh0124
    Options
    Bump for later - I'm a carrot cake monster!