Chia Seeds?

Options

Replies

• linsrae1
    linsrae1 Posts: 18
    Options
    I like chia seeds because they give me a little extra protein in salads and smoothies. I don't notice feeling fuller, but overall when I hit 80-90 grams of protein a day, I lose weight more effectively. Since I eat a lot of veggies and fruits I need to add extra protein in any way I can to reach this goal. Just watch how much of the seeds you eat. There's almost 200 calories in 2 tablespoons-so it may not seem like much in a smoothie but, if you are cutting calories, it can really mess up your day! OR if you are weight lifting and need that extra calorie boost it's a great idea.

I love the tapioca idea-mix 2 tablespoons with coconut or almond milk, a touch of honey and some fruit maybe-leave overnight in the fridge for a quick, healthy breakfast!
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I use them primarily as fuel during long (>10mi) runs. I put 3 tablespoons in at least a cup of water the night before and leave 'em in there. By morning it's this slurry mixture that I add organic raw honey and cinnamon to as I'm heading out the door. Makes my run ridiculously awesome.

This is an awesome idea! Thanks :) I usually put mine in my morning smoothie for the health benefits plus I love the slimy/bubble tea tapioca ball type texture but usually I have to wait a little while for the seeds to absorb in the smoothie. I like the idea of putting them in water the night before!
  • 1lisalou
    1lisalou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've used chia, flax, and hemp seeds. I noticed I preferred using chia seeds with flaxseeds. Together they filled me up, separately not so much. When I mixed them, I did 1 tablespoon of each. They're a great source of protein and fiber. I'd need to try them during the winter to see if they give more protein or not. I always have more energy when it's warm lol!

The only reason I stopped buying them was price. I found a couple stores that have them at a good price, I just don't feel like going out my way sometimes.....or I forget and accidentally by flaxseeds (like last time -_-).

I will look into the flax seeds also. Have not thought about that before. Thanks!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds almost every day and love them! I started eating them for the nutrional aspect. They're loaded with fiber and good fats, are a complete protein, and even contain some calcium. I usually measure out 4oz of juice and mix it with about 8oz of water and then add 28grams of chia seeds. I let them soak up the liquid and then drink it for my mid-morning snack. Fills me up, I get in some water, and it's a good source of energy for my lunch time workout.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Can't get past the snot consistency they take on when they get wet. Don't care how good for a person they are. huhuhuhuhuh!
  • Fast_Track
    Fast_Track Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can't get past the snot consistency they take on when they get wet. Don't care how good for a person they are. huhuhuhuhuh!

Amen to that!

The Kombucha Chia is the worst. The consistency reminds me of tadpole eggs. Bought some today though -- going to add them to salads and my protein shakes.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have them randomly. I don;t notice much of a difference but they have some protein and are tasteless so I add them in at times.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use them primarily as fuel during long (>10mi) runs. I put 3 tablespoons in at least a cup of water the night before and leave 'em in there. By morning it's this slurry mixture that I add organic raw honey and cinnamon to as I'm heading out the door. Makes my run ridiculously awesome.

This sounds pretty good actually, do you drink it right before you run or take it with you?

Take it with! Little sips here and there for a nice steady flow of energy. I'm betting it can vary person to person tho. If I gulp it all down right before I just get nauseated.
  • pinksparkles4
    Options
    I've been using Chia seeds for about a month. I'll usually put 2-3 teaspoons in my green juice, oatmeal or steel cut oats. I will say that I seem fuller throughout the day when I have them for breakfast. Whereas when 11AM rolls around I'm ready for lunch. The price is a little steep.... about $14/lb at Raley's but 1 LB is enough to last a LONG time. I'm going to keep using them and hopefully see/feel a significant difference. :)
  • NZAilsa
    NZAilsa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    ramchia.jpg
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds get gooey when disolved in water. They are a great way to help detox your body. They encase the toxins and move them safely out of your system. I havent' added them to my diet yet, but it's on the horizon.

Chia seeds are not some magic "toxin remover."

I use them for the fiber boost.
  • 1lisalou
    1lisalou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ramchia.jpg

hahahaha!!!!! chi chi chi chia!!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds get gooey when disolved in water. They are a great way to help detox your body. They encase the toxins and move them safely out of your system. I havent' added them to my diet yet, but it's on the horizon.

Chia seeds are not some magic "toxin remover."

I use them for the fiber boost.
    This, precisely.
  • robinbredl
    robinbredl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been experimenting with Refrigerator Oatmeal made with approx. 1 T of Chia seeds, 1 cup of soy milk, 40gm of quick cooking irish oatmeal and some coconut extract. I let this sit overnight in the fridge and it is really good the next morning. There are tons of variations on the web so go crazy!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I think it's soooooo bitter.
    Tried it twice and its been chilling in the pantry ever since.
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think I'll have to start adding them to my breakfast!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    from what I've noticed barely better nutritional profile than flaxseeds yet cost way more.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    Eat them every morning with Fage, Strawberries, Blueberries and topped with Bran Buds. I do think they help me make it through the morning and my cholesterol numbers have improved since I started eating them :-)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've made a choclate pudding from them a few times. I mix the chia with milk, cocoa and some liquid stevia and leave in the fridge to swell for a couple of hours. Quite nice.