Chia Seeds?

Options
13»

Replies

• preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use Bob's Red Mill whole chia seeds and put them in my Greek yogurt with fruit. I also have them in my smoothies and I grind them up in my coffee grinder and the texture is so much better than having them whole.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I put them on my lunch salad everyday. Love them.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My trainer is doing 20 hour fasts eating only at night and uses chia seeds in water to feel full during the day.

I think he's crazy but he is getting nicely cut.
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    I bought a spread - Almond Butter with Chia Seeds - for my toast :D IT IS DELICIOUS. Tastes exactly like peanut butter.
  • Bubbl3s25
    Bubbl3s25 Posts: 210
    Options
    I've made a choclate pudding from them a few times. I mix the chia with milk, cocoa and some liquid stevia and leave in the fridge to swell for a couple of hours. Quite nice.
    I have made the chocolate pudding too.
    I also use them in my proats mix
    1 Tbsp protein powder (half scoop)
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
    1/4 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    Mix together, top with frozen raspberries and pop in the fridge overnight
    Delish :-)
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    There's almost 200 calories in 2 tablespoons

I have the Spectrum brand and it only has 60 calories per tablespoon. What brand are you using?

Just last week I toured the World Headquarters for Bob's Red Mill and when the tour guide was talking up the value of flaxseed (which personally upsets my stomach) I asked about the nutritional comparison with Chia seeds. Turns out they both have great amounts of antioxidants and fiber. The tour guide then shared a very funny story from a woman who had taken the tour a month ago. This woman was upset by the chia seeds sticking in her teeth and looking awful. The only way she could get them out of her teeth was to brush them after eating anything containing chia. One day she noticed her bathroom sink wasn't draining properly and called a plumber. After snaking the drain he asked her what she was trying to grow down her pipes.... the chia seeds that she brushed from her teeth were sprouting in the drain of her bathroom sink.

I enjoy mixing chia with applesauce for a great afternoon pick-me-up. I don't enjoy it plain in water but do enjoy them in smoothies. One day I had a blob that mysteriously stuck to the side of my face at work and I was covering the front desk at the time... how embarrassing!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I bought a spread - Almond Butter with Chia Seeds - for my toast :D IT IS DELICIOUS. Tastes exactly like peanut butter.

I have bought that too and it's gorgeous! I now am trying the walnut with cashew version which is nice but not as tasty.
  • Fast_Track
    Fast_Track Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So, I've been eating them now for the last 4 days -- mainly adding them to my protein shakes in the morning.

I've already noticed that I've got more energy, that I'm fuller longer.... and let's just say that they're definitely keeping things (very!) regular.
  • deathbypretzel
    Options
    I throw a couple tablespoons into a cup of orange juice, let it sit overnight, and I've got breakfast for the next day. OJ probably isn't the greatest choice, but I can't stand the taste of chia in just water, and this way I get some vitamin C in too ;)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    chia is fun to play with! You can make tapioca and all sorts of pudding with it. It makes you feel full because it absorbs any fluid you throw at it, thus filling your belly like a sponge.

Spectrum makes an awesome chia chocolate coconut blend that is fantastic in smoothies.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    chia is fun to play with! You can make tapioca and all sorts of pudding with it. It makes you feel full because it absorbs any fluid you throw at it, thus filling your belly like a sponge.

Spectrum makes an awesome chia chocolate coconut blend that is fantastic in smoothies.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    How i use them:

● in my juice, teas, & smoothies

● in my oatmeal

● in my DIY granola bars

● DIY chia jams

● in my DIY flavored nut milks

● DIY chia fresca

● DIY ground chia pudding

● as a vegan egg sustitute
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I mix 24g of chia seeds in my bedtime casein shake every night.
  • marcela_olega
    Options
    chia seeds contain a lot of fiber and fibers makes you feel full. This is how chia seeds make you lose weight
  • cbeet
    cbeet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    check out this recipe... delicious!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/181762534933226960/
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I use them primarily as fuel during long (>10mi) runs. I put 3 tablespoons in at least a cup of water the night before and leave 'em in there. By morning it's this slurry mixture that I add organic raw honey and cinnamon to as I'm heading out the door. Makes my run ridiculously awesome.

Interesting...

I use them in overnight oats, protein pudding and occasionally shakes.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of chia seeds, coconut milk, and a touch of agave syrup and leave them overnight. It makes a tapioca like pudding that I either eat as part of breakfast or just a snack. If I eat the whole bowl, it makes me feel very full. Sometimes I can't finish the whole bowl. :P

Also don't eat to many at once, it can get....painful a few hours later....

hmmm... you had me, up until the pain... :-/