Arms, arms, arms?!?

Options
What are good exercises for getting arms toned and smaller. I'm dieting and have 8 pound dumbells. What is the very best way to start seeing results?!?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with the Arms Race going on in the forums this week? This is like the umpteenth question about arm toning in the last 3 days. (not your fault, OP, just wondering).

Lose weight by eating in a deficit and do pushups.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with the Arms Race going on in the forums this week? This is like the umpteenth question about arm toning in the last 3 days. (not your fault, OP, just wondering).

and pullups
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    And lift heavy weights.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    smaller as in....

I think you just mean leaner* ... Well a caloric deficit will lean you out and if you're new to resistance training you can still build some lean muscle. Most people make the mistake of not training their muscles enough. They think 3-4 sets of curls is enough.

The only time I do 3-4 sets is when I'm like a 9-9.5 on the RPE scale and generally fatigued. You can either choose to lift heavy or do a lot of reps it's personal choice. If you stimulate the muscle fibers it'll give you similar results either way. I like higher reps because you get a pump, which lifting heavy sometimes don't always give.

Generally speaking I work arms into another split. I'll do a lat pull down --> bicep curls --> reverse bicep curls --> shoulder raises --> t-bar row --> bicep curls -> reverse -> shoulder -> lat pull down etc. etc.

I do that for about 50 minutes and train a different circuit for another 25 with a different type of bicep movement like seated over the knee.
  • Mayanbound
    Options
    My favorite - for slender toner arms is the Denise Austin Powerbelt

Easy-to-use walking belt for burning calories and toning muscles
    Soft rubber handles provide smooth resistance over range of arm swing
    Burns up to 71 percent more calories than regular walking
    Four adjustable resistance levels; fits waists from 22 to 48 inches
    Weighs less than 2 pounds; backed by one-year limited warranty

Used while walking or inside standing this tones your entire arm, not just the under arm flab and elongates the biceps.
    I have about six different routines that I do and I LOVE that I burn more calories when I walk using it.
    And it has 4 additional pieces that increase the tension

within the first week i noticed results

hope that helps
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    What are good exercises for getting arms toned and smaller. I'm dieting and have 8 pound dumbells. What is the very best way to start seeing results?!?

Get some bigger dumbbells :bigsmile:
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Probably pushups and tricep dips. Do pushups on your knees if you have to. I do a lot of strength training but I think the pushups do just as much for me. That was what really made me stronger and more defined.
  • sherijckh
    Options
    Check out the Pinterest boards for some great arm exercises! I have a whole board with tons of great workouts on it!
  • dianeneufeld10
    Options
    triceps, use quite a substantial dumbbell weight i use 20 pounds hold it with both hands and behind the back while sitting and life the dumbbell up and down behind ur back, also just plain old curs, the other helps with the wings lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    My favorite - for slender toner arms is the Denise Austin Powerbelt

Easy-to-use walking belt for burning calories and toning muscles
    Soft rubber handles provide smooth resistance over range of arm swing
    Burns up to 71 percent more calories than regular walking
    Four adjustable resistance levels; fits waists from 22 to 48 inches
    Weighs less than 2 pounds; backed by one-year limited warranty

Used while walking or inside standing this tones your entire arm, not just the under arm flab and elongates the biceps.
    I have about six different routines that I do and I LOVE that I burn more calories when I walk using it.
    And it has 4 additional pieces that increase the tension

within the first week i noticed results

hope that helps
    For $200? At least that's what I've seen unless there's a better link. Honestly, just holding a pair of inexpensive dumbells will do the same.

As to the OP's question, consistent calorie deficit and learn how to do push ups and pull ups. Both can be modified till you can do full ones on your own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com has some nice arm w/o's. I like their tank top arms one, their 5x5 pulse one and their supersets one.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    For reduction, calorie deficit and let nature take its course. Fat will leave wherever it decides to leave first...

Now for toning Lift heavy. For arms there are a number of exercises you can do.. push ups (triceps and chest), bench press (primarily chest but also works tris), military press (shoulders but also affects tris), curls (biceps), really, just about any exercise that offers significant resistance to arm muscles...
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Gotta get those arms ready for Summertime..

I believe there are two different ways to do push ups as well.. I did pushups with my arms out wide and now all I have to show for it are huge, defined biceps and chest and flabby triceps. Do you know anything about this - e.g. tricep area being worked with hands more in a narrow position vs wide?
  • jjski88
    jjski88 Posts: 24
    Options
    If you have trouble doing push-ups from the ground, start off with wall push-ups and slowly move your feet from the wall until you can do 20 reps with ease. Then you can move to push-ups from your knees and finally in the standard push-up position. The goal is to go to do as many push-ups as you can in one set and repeat several times to exhaustion. You can add an abdominal and leg exercise in between and if you do them all in succession you will also get a good cardio workout. Jump on a cardio machine after your strength workout to continue to burn the fat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes, narrow arms will work more triceps. I'd recommend mixing it up
  • Mayanbound
    Options
    [/quote]For $200? At least that's what I've seen unless there's a better link. Honestly, just holding a pair of inexpensive dumbells will do the same.

As to the OP's question, consistent calorie deficit and learn how to do push ups and pull ups. Both can be modified till you can do full ones on your own.
    [/b]
    [/quote]

agree $200 is way to much - I only paid $79 at Amazon
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Google tracy anderson arm workout. There are some free videos on youtube.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Standing barbell curls, do burnouts and eat your wheaties haha...
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Aside from LIFT SOME HEAVY WEIGHTS, you really can't spot reduce. Women tend to carry extra fat in their arms (that's why it hangs or looks so much thicker in some areas) and it's one of the later places to lose fat (in my experience). My arms look thick when they are hanging by my sides - but all women's arms do (unless you are 115#). So you'll need to learn to remember to bend the arm and keep it close in to the body if you want to give the appearance of a smaller arm this summer, LOL. Keep on eating in a deficit and offer a virgin sacrifice occasionally to the weight loss gods to help you target that area - hahah (kidding). ;)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Google tracy anderson arm workout. There are some free videos on youtube.

NO. This is not the way. Lift some real weights and eat in a caloric deficit to lose the fat. Listen to the_dizzle. She has beautiful arms!