Mushroom Side Dishes?

Options
I LOVE mushrooms-the taste is DIVINE. was wondering if anyone has any good recipes they would be willing to share?

:)

Replies

• beck820
    beck820 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really love this recipe and sometimes will even have it as a meal when I'm feeling to lazy to cook properly!

GARLIC & THYME MUSHROOMS
    In a pan melt a teaspoon of spreadable butter and teaspon of olive oil
    Add a clove of crushed garlic and some fresh thyme leaves to taste (dried will be ok as well)
    Once the garlic is fried off and just starting to brown, add in your mushrooms (a cup to a cup and a half)
    Saute until the mushrooms soften
    Deglaze with a small amount of either chicken stock, verjuice or dry white wine (only about 1-2 tablespoons)
    Serve with crusty bread, or as a side dish. This is nice topped with a little crumbled feta or grated parmesan cheese as well.

Also this soup is another of my favourites, it's not a side dish but a great starter/entree. I learned to cook it in Bali. It is very low cal and packed with vegetables, chilli and garlic which makes it a good flu fighter as well:

BALINESE MUSHROOM SOUP (KUAH WONG)
    Ingredients:
    2 cups mushrooms (any kind - can mix and match, although I normally use button mushrooms)
    1 medium carrot
    1/2 cup diced string beans or snake beans
    5 cloves garlic
    5 shallots (not spring onions - shallots look a bit like little onions)
    1 lemon (small)
    5 kaffir lime leaves (if you can't get them fresh you can normally get them in a jar in the asian section at the supermarket. I often leave them out and it still tastes fine)
    1 spring onion
    1 hot chilli (adjust to taste)
    2 litres chicken stock
    olive oil for frying

Instructions:
    Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and discard. Peel the skin off the mushroom heads, and slice.
    Slice garlic, spring onions, and shallots. Slice the chilli and remove the seeds (if you don't want it too hot)
    Cut the carrot into small cubes (about 1/2cm x 1/2cm)
    Cut the lemon into quarters
    Saute the garlic, shallots, spring onions in olive oil until starting to brown.
    Add the mushrooms and chilli and continue to saute for another couple of minutes.
    Add the stock and squeeze the juice from the lemon quarters into the soup (adjust this to taste - I prefer only half a small lemon)
    Break the kaffir lime leaves and add to the stock
    Bring the stock to the boil, then add the carrot, green beans, and salt and pepper to taste.
    Continue to boil until carrots are just al dente. The beans shouldn't be mushy, they should still have a little crispness.

You can serve this over noodles or with some poached chicken if you like. This quantity is supposed to serve 4 as an entree, which is roughly 103 calories per serve. I normally split it into 2-3 portions if I'm going to eat it for lunch.
  • Nana82Much
    Nana82Much Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Stuffed mushrooms.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Crab Stuffed Mushrooms (this uses portobello mushroom caps)

Ingredients-
    1 cup crabmeat
    1/2 cup cream cheese
    1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
    1/2 cup green onions, chopped
    4 tablespoons Parmesan
    House Seasoning, recipe follows
    2 portobello mushroom caps, or 10 white mushrooms caps
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    Nonstick cooking spray

Directions-
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the crabmeat, cream cheese, parsley, green onions and Parmesan. Season with House Seasoning, to taste. Stuff the mushroom caps with the mixture and top with bread crumbs. Spray the tops with nonstick spray to help them brown.Transfer to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the filling is hot and melted.

House Seasoning:
    1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder

You can always just cut mushrooms in half, and put them in a skillet and add a little salt and saute them up like that and just eat them. I usually do that, but I saute onions with the mushrooms.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Roast them in the oven, they taste sooo good.

Half or quarter mushrooms (depending on size), then mix in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and any herbs/seasonings you like (most of the time I just use some garlic powder).
    Spread on a baking sheet and roast at 400°F till mushrooms are tender, about 20-25 min.

Whenever I make those, I don't have any leftovers.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Mix 1 T Balsamic Vinegar with 2 T Olive oil. Brush on portobella caps and put under broiler for 5 minutes. Divine on a burger bun!
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    One of my perfect lunch!!!
    Sliced mushrooms(i mix different ones), some fresh onions and a handful of diced smoked bacon.
    Stir fry them in a really hot pan(if is not hot enough they will get rubbery...) with a bit of olive oil.
    You can have them just like this for a side in a fish or meat dish or after couple of minutes add two eggs, leave it set, turn and DONE!
    Yummy omelette!