Lifting Prorgam

Options
Can someone help me come up with a lifting program. I am not new to lifting, but have always been coached by a PT in the past when lifting so didn't learn much on my own, I only did what he told me to. It has however been a year since I have lifted.

My goals:

To look similar to the lady in the pic on my profile (that's not me, but a look I would like to aim for)

I am wanting to lose 45 lbs.

I am 5'3 1/3

My question: Should I lift twice a week (full body) to start?
Should I lift upper one day, lower the next (3x a week)
Should I do body parts daily? If so what combination? Such as chest, tris, bis?

Thanks in advance.

Hollie

Replies

• lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    recently I've heard a lot of touting the New rules of lifting for women, so I ordered it, but I haven't gotten it yet. You also may want to check on bodybuilding.com, there's a program that's for both genders and you just adjust the weight based on whats doable, its 4 days on 3 days off (though I'll probably doing at least one or two of those days cardio), I'm doing it in the interim. I've lost 35 so far, but I'm trying to get down another 30-40 as well as tone way up.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Buy the book starting strength and do that. Or try Stronglifts 5x5 its free.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started jamie easons 12 week live fit program and I love it! Its completely free just google it! I tried new rules of lifting for women last year but it was a bit confusing and it got too complicated. I started semi-consistently lifting with stronglifts 5x5 at the beginning of feb and loved it but I decided to switch it up to a more structured program as I want to lose about 8% body fat. Anyway whatevet program you choose good luck! !
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    it would help to know what type of equipment you have access to or prefer?

Do you want to be really strong? or do you just want fat loss?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    it would help to know what type of equipment you have access to or prefer?

Do you want to be really strong? or do you just want fat loss?

Agreed. What are your goals?

Stronglifts is free and there is a group on MFP specifically for women with a lot of members. NROLFW apparently is good but you have to buy the book.
  • pinkperfume
    Options
    I have full access to any equipment in an upscale gym. Unlimited time to work out (no children, self employed).

My goals are to lose fat and tone up. I am in my 40s so muscle has already naturally decreased and been replaced with fat.

I am not looking to be really strong, but defined and toned like the lady in this pic.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    she looks pretty strong to me

do you know what her bf% is?
  • pinkperfume
    Options
    she looks pretty strong to me

do you know what her bf% is?

I guess I misunderstood the definition of strong. I thought she looked toned and lean. When I think of 'strong' I think of someone who is more muscular. Which is what I don't want.
  • NerdyJenn
    NerdyJenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You want to look like a yorkie terrier?

;)

I like New Rules of Lifting for Women (mentioned above).

I aim for 3 full body (60 minute) weight sessions per week. I don't split my workouts because I cannot make it in 4 times, and sometimes I can't get the full 3 either. I want to hit my major groups each session so I know I'm getting that checkmark.

I then add my cardio (1 mile) afterwards, also due to my schedule. I've seen nice movement of body fat to muscle over the 9 weeks so far. I'm very pleased.

Basic workout I'm doing these days is a combo of the following:
    Deadlift (standard or Romanian one-legged)
    Squat
    Lunges or Step-ups
    Push Press or incline dumbbell bench press
    Row
    Lat Pulldowns
    Tricep pull down
    Plank
  • jjski88
    jjski88 Posts: 24
    Options
    Can someone help me come up with a lifting program. I am not new to lifting, but have always been coached by a PT in the past when lifting so didn't learn much on my own, I only did what he told me to. It has however been a year since I have lifted.

My goals:

To look similar to the lady in the pic on my profile (that's not me, but a look I would like to aim for)

I am wanting to lose 45 lbs.

I am 5'3 1/3

My question: Should I lift twice a week (full body) to start?
    Should I lift upper one day, lower the next (3x a week)
    Should I do body parts daily? If so what combination? Such as chest, tris, bis?

Thanks in advance.

Hollie

If you're not looking to buy any books or pay money to start a program then here is some simple rules to help you shed the weight and add strength.

First and most importantly, you need to track your daily food intake and make sure you are taking in the required food per the USDA (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/index.html). Once you are eating the right foods your workouts will benefit from it.

Your workouts should consist of 2-3 days of muscular strength training and 3-5 days of cardio. Start off with 2 full body workouts, making sure to alternate between body parts to let your muscles rest in between (i.e. legs, chest, back, abs, shoulder). Or, alternate between an upper body exercise and lower body exercise for 15-20 minutes. The goal is to do 10-15 reps of each exercise with minimal break between exercises. Repeat the routine and then go on to cardio for 20-30 minutes. This will keep your heart rate elevated and help burn more calories/fat.

For days when you just do cardio, do what you enjoy, but try to mix up the exercises and make sure your heart rate is elevated throughout. The higher intensity (harder it is to breath), the more you will burn. These workouts should last 30-60 minutes depending on the intensity and your fitness level. Eventually, you will burn away the fat and expose the muscles you have been working. Stick to a routine and adjust it into your daily lifestyle.

Friend me you have any further questions.

Jay