Should I be logging every tiny thing?

Options
Hi everyone! Ok so when I first joined MFP I was logging everything I did that burned calories...like cooking or playing the guitar. Lately I've stopped doing that but I was wondering if it really makes a difference. I have my settings at "lightly active" since I work out 3-5 times a week and am sitting at a desk most of the day. Do you guys log those things or is it pointless?

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    those things are already accounted for in your "lightly active" calorie allowance. The only thing you should be logging is actual exercise.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No. Log every little thing, eat back all your exercise, and then don't be shocked the scale is going the wrong way.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Log everything you EAT. You dont log everything you DO unless it is clearly exercise.
  • Babeskeez
    Options
    No. Log every little thing, eat back all your exercise, and then don't be shocked the scale is going the wrong way.

They didnt ask about food. They asked about activities.
  • PixieChick24
    PixieChick24 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to log my exercise. Thanks for the clarification! :smile:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Well, the daily "chores" like cooking, cleaning etc I wouldn't log. Mainly because with light activity, they're part of the things you do. Now, if you spent 2 hours shopping and most of it was walking, I would just wear my $5 pedometer from walmart and see how much I walked. Typically its around 2-3 miles (Everytime I shop with a woman... NEVER fails...). THAT I would log, alongside the workouts I do at home/gym.

However, please take note that MFP's calculator is usually off. As much as 50% more or 50% less than the actual burn. So see if you can invest in a HRM for your workouts or simply eat back only 50% of the calories you burn. Hope this helps. Good luck :)
  • rosichick
    rosichick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't log everything I do, unless I am actually exercising.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

I answered about activities - sorry you didn't understand and felt the need to be a jerk.
  • Babeskeez
    Options

I answered about activities - sorry you didn't understand and felt the need to be a jerk.

If you think that was jerky, well then you have really soft feelings. :laugh:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    depends how accurate u want to be? i mean ur body is going to count it so why not log it?
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I believe if you have your setting to lightly active you shouldn't even be logging/eating back exercise as that is already included. If you'd like to, then change your setting to sedentary, and then log exercise.

good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I believe if you have your setting to lightly active you shouldn't even be logging/eating back exercise as that is already included. If you'd like to, then change your setting to sedentary, and then log exercise.

good luck!

exercise isnt included in light active - but cleaning/shopping/ chasing kids (your own not random ones)/cooking would be.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

good luck!

No, the activity setting is for your daily activity EXCLUDING exercise.

So someone who sits at a desk all day has a lower activity level than a waitress that is on their feet serving all day.

But they would both log their additional exercise if they are following MFP correctly.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    under-log exercise, over-log food if in doubt..
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    if I do a cook in I will count cooking cals burned (but thats because I have been in the kitchen for 8 or more hours) and I would only log half the time .... I log this because its out of the ordinary ...