How to dress up a pot roast...

Options

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Pot roast is ugly, I agree. It looks terrible and no matter how good it tastes, it is so ugly.

If there is a way to make a less soupy pot roast, serve it on a plate with bright veggies or other pretty foods, I think I'd like that more than a bowl of slop that may taste incredible but bottom line... it is ugly :(
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My kids will not eat anything from the crock pot. maybe I'll serve it in a McDonald's bag?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this marinade on pot roast but It's lovely on a pork loin.

Mix equal parts orange marmalade and spicy brown mustard (maybe 1/2 cup each), add fresh rosemary. Salt and pepper the pork ( I also insert spikes of fresh garlic into the meat) and coat with marinade. Let it sit for 30-60 minutes. Sear pork in an oven-safe pan over the stove then add remaining marinade, a little broth and onions and place in the oven till done. YUMMY

I usually serve this with roasted sweet potatoes and something green like broccoli, Brussels sprouts or green beans.
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    I make this for my family and they love it! I replace the water with either beef broth or beer. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/awesome-slow-cooker-pot-roast/detail.aspx
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Perhaps to make it more kid friendly the McDonalds idea is not way off base! Maybe she would like it if you shredded the meat when it came out with 2 forks and serve on a bun with chili sauce or salsa or something. Make it a cool hot sandwich just by changing the shape, or maybe top with her fav shredded cheese! Might not seem so boring but have the same cooking method. Just a thought.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I use the Lipton Onion and Mushroom soup mix and a can of beef broth. Salt, Pepper, and Garlic on top of the meat. Put the soup mix and broth in your crock pot and mix, then add the meat.The soup mix seasons the meat/veggies and the beef broth just helps increase the flavor of the meat itself. And, you have an incredible au jus to ladle over it all in the end. I also use fresh minced garlic and chopped onion in the beginning as well as when I add the veggies after the meat is 3/4 of the way done.

Just my $.02

Stdavis
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I season the meat really well and brown on both sides before putting it in the crock pot.. then I combine a can of tomato paste and about 1/2 cup red wine along with beef broth. It makes a great thick, richer sauce. My kids love it with buttery egg noodles!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    LOL! at first glance I thought the title said "How to dress up like a pot roast"

:blushing: :laugh:
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this marinade on pot roast but It's lovely on a pork loin.

Mix equal parts orange marmalade and spicy brown mustard (maybe 1/2 cup each), add fresh rosemary. Salt and pepper the pork ( I also insert spikes of fresh garlic into the meat) and coat with marinade. Let it sit for 30-60 minutes. Sear pork in an oven-safe pan over the stove then add remaining marinade, a little broth and onions and place in the oven till done. YUMMY

I usually serve this with roasted sweet potatoes and something green like broccoli, Brussels sprouts or green beans.

I started reading this post and thought "OK, yeah, this might get me to like pot roast." And then I got to the part about brussel sprouts and realized that our pallets are completely different and I probably still wouldn't like it. LOL

But, if you like easy recipes, I once made this for my family when I was on my way out of town. They said it was great. I'll take their word for it.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/maries-easy-slow-cooker-pot-roast/detail.aspx
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My mom always used a can of V8 and onion soup mix with carrots, cabbage, celery and onions. I loved it. My DH doesn't care for it with V8 or cabbage, so I use smoked paprika and a little smoked chipotle along with lots of garlic and onion. I use beef stock instead of water. Carrots and Potatoes always go in and sometimes celery or green beans. In fact, that's what I'm making for dinner Saturday:laugh:
  • Nana82Much
    Nana82Much Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Beef-Pot-Roast/Detail.aspx

that was excellent.. made it last week... to die for
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    CROCKPOT ROAST

1 roast
    1 pkg. ranch salad dressing mix
    1 pkg. Italian salad dressing mix
    1 pkg. brown gravy mix (fat-free)
    1-1/2 cups water

Mix all the dry ingredients with the 1-1/2 cups water. Place roast in crockpot. Pour the mixture over roast and cook on low 7-9 hours or overnight.
    Once you do this recipe - you will never prepare any other way. The gravy it makes - is to die for. This is definitely a male favorite and will fast become a family favorite.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    BEER!

No seriously, beer.

Or a can of cream of mushroom soup, one packet of onion dry soup mix, and 1.5 cups of water.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Please don't ruin a lovely piece of meat by adding a can of condensed soup. Add some wine or beer, some shallots and a generous amount of cracked black pepper.
  • KimLoan325
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Braised-Beef-Cheeks-107803

This recipe has been rocking my world! My son loves it, and it's incredibly easy as in: no-fail! Plus, the house smells wonderful. I use a $5.99 Barbera di Asi from Trader Joe's. It's a really inexpensive cut of meat that braises beautifully. I double the recipe because it's too good to resist and even better the second day. I use leftovers (if there are any) for kale stew!

Instead of mashed potatoes, I serve this atop roasted cauliflower!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Please don't ruin a lovely piece of meat by adding a can of condensed soup. Add some wine or beer, some shallots and a generous amount of cracked black pepper.

And I'll just to the list: stop adding packets of bull****.

If you not like the perfectly wonderful, SIMPLE recipe provided, find your own. It takes five seconds to find one and add your own spices.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do balsamic vinegar, tomato sauce and beef broth and a ton of onions. The best pot roast ever : )
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    bumping for inspiration- winter is on it's way here.

usually i just brown the meat and throw it in the slow cooker with about 3 quartered onions, a few garlic cloves, carrots, parsnips, mixed herbs, and a big blob of marmite. When it's cooked i take out the meat and veg (apart from the onions and garlic) and blitz the juice to make gravy (but i always add a teaspoon of raspberry jam to the sauce to sweeten it up a little). And i usually serve it with mash and mixed veg.
    it tastes good enough that my hubby uses a piece of bread to mop up the gravy that's left on his plate. but he's a minger.