Help with getting back on track with my diet!

Options
Hello, I weigh 173 pounds. I am new to the whole healthy diet thing. I lost 10 pounds a couple months ago and I stopped exercising. I recently began to exercise 5x a week with the elliptical in February. I have been 173 ever since and I am not losing weight. I found out why and it was because I was doing the same type of resistance every day. I am now doing intervals! I really want to lose 10-15 lbs by May 22nd (Going on a trip). I just have a couple questions I would like advice on:
1. Should I lift weights? If so, how often?
2. Is 1200 calories too less because that is what I ate when i lost those 10lbs :o
3. Can I take a day where I eat a little junk food?
4. How many days a weeks should I do my 60 minutes of cardio?
5. I also do 15 minutes on the elliptical at home when i wake up. Should I do more?
6. What types of foods or drinks should I not eat? Also, Are special K protein shakes and meal bars processed? I like those :P
7. Last question! I am worried the elliptical will only help me lose weight in my legs, butt and stomach. Will it help me lose weight all over my body? I do not want to be lopsided.

That's about it. Please don't be rude or anything because I am new to the whole healthy weight loss plans. I used to eat 800 calories a day. I really don't eat a lot anyways but I just want to lose weight the healthy way and keep it off because I am tired of being over weight! Im excited to lose pounds for summer :D.

Replies

• lillauraseymour
    lillauraseymour Posts: 63 Member
    Options

2. Is 1200 calories too less because that is what I ate when i lost those 10lbs :o

You should eat more than that, especially when you first begin. Use MPF to caculate how many cals you should be having!

Yes, I have once a week a bad meal & a bad snack (crisps) once a week. It is up to you, some people do once a month.

I reccomened doing 3 times a week to being, then up it. It's about doing something that's suistainable. 60 mins is engouh, you don't need to do more.

6. What types of foods or drinks should I not eat? Also, Are special K protein shakes and meal bars processed? I like those :P
    WATER!! No soft drink/limit your coffees to black only or soy milk

There not to good for you, but if they fit into your cals for the day go for it!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 16

4. ELIGIBILITY

BY USING THE WEBSITE OR SERVICES, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD :wink:
  • qtpiez4000
    qtpiez4000 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 16

4. ELIGIBILITY

BY USING THE WEBSITE OR SERVICES, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD :wink:

Oops I meant 18. Typo :p It is hard to type with long acrylics.
  • qtpiez4000
    Options

You should eat more than that, especially when you first begin. Use MPF to caculate how many cals you should be having!

Yes, I have once a week a bad meal & a bad snack (crisps) once a week. It is up to you, some people do once a month.

I reccomened doing 3 times a week to being, then up it. It's about doing something that's suistainable. 60 mins is engouh, you don't need to do more.

WATER!! No soft drink/limit your coffees to black only or soy milk

There not to good for you, but if they fit into your cals for the day go for it!

Thank you very much!! Very helpful! :)
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    1. Well, it's not mandatory for weight loss. If you like it then yes but do find someone to help you with good form.
    2. 1200 is very little. But your stomach is the ultimate teller, if it's Very hungry, then it's too little.
    3. I used to take one day per week then a day per month. I think junk food is just junk but it is possible to sustain weight loss while eating it. So it depends on your wishes and lifestyle.
    4. Be slow with cardio. Don't just go from nothing to 60min/5days a week. Slow and steady. I've started with 30min three days a week and then gradually went to 50min/4days a week.
    5. Do whatever feels better. Some here say it's better to do cardio with empty stomach-I've tried it for a long time and I saw no difference from doing it later in the day. So if you like it yes, if not, don't kill yourslef over it. ...but 15 min sounds like short enough to wake you up and not make you feel bad so..
    6. Water.
    7. No, you will look fine. There is no spot reduction of fat. Also, I've been doing elliptical for about 6 months when I was your age (and btw, take that age statement out right now gurl) and I lost weight everywhere and looked awesome.

800calories? Yeah, sure, good luck on doing 60min of cardio on that. That's lower than the body needs for just breathing. I've been there and done that-and I ended up anemic, anorexic, always sick and depressed.
  • qtpiez4000
    Options
    1. Well, it's not mandatory for weight loss. If you like it then yes but do find someone to help you with good form.
    2. 1200 is very little. But your stomach is the ultimate teller, if it's Very hungry, then it's too little.
    3. I used to take one day per week then a day per month. I think junk food is just junk but it is possible to sustain weight loss while eating it. So it depends on your wishes and lifestyle.
    4. Be slow with cardio. Don't just go from nothing to 60min/5days a week. Slow and steady. I've started with 30min three days a week and then gradually went to 50min/4days a week.
    5. Do whatever feels better. Some here say it's better to do cardio with empty stomach-I've tried it for a long time and I saw no difference from doing it later in the day. So if you like it yes, if not, don't kill yourslef over it. ...but 15 min sounds like short enough to wake you up and not make you feel bad so..
    6. Water.

7. No, you will look fine. There is no spot reduction of fat. Also, I've been doing elliptical for about 6 months when I was your age (and btw, take that age statement out right now gurl) and I lost weight everywhere and looked awesome.

800calories? Yeah, sure, good luck on doing 60min of cardio on that. That's lower than the body needs for just breathing. I've been there and done that-and I ended up anemic, anorexic, always sick and depressed.

Thank you! :D I used to eat 800 calories a while ago! I don't know how I survived! haha :D Thx for the help :)
  • riley76051
    Options
    I personally think strength training (not just lifting weights, but crunches, push ups etc.) are super helpful because if you tighten your muscles while losing weight, and you're not "skinny" yet, then your muscles will at least make your fat distribute a little more evenly. Toning rocks.

Make sure that you net (not consume, NET!) at least 1200 a day. 800 is much too less. Try eating healthy meals 3 times a day, with 2 substantial healthy snacks in between. Also, I recommend no eating late at night.

Totally. It's better to take a day off of diet once a week or month than to eat tidbits throughout your week(s).

I recommend 3-4 days. Perhaps use the other days (minus one, for rest) for strength training.

5. I also do 15 minutes on the elliptical at home when i wake up. Should I do more?
    You should work out whenever suits you best. If you're doing this on top of your 60 minutes of cardio that seems fine to me. Every minute counts.

Although it's good to avoid processed foods, just make sure you scan and read the nutrition facts about what you eat. Avoid processed sugars and white breads and ESPECIALLY anything that isn't water or tea. Soda is a killer.

7. Last question! I am worried the elliptical will only help me lose weight in my legs, butt and stomach. Will it help me lose weight all over my body? I do not want to be lopsided.
    Cardio will help you lose weight everywhere whilst toning your legs, butt and stomach.
  • qtpiez4000
    Options
    I personally think strength training (not just lifting weights, but crunches, push ups etc.) are super helpful because if you tighten your muscles while losing weight, and you're not "skinny" yet, then your muscles will at least make your fat distribute a little more evenly. Toning rocks.

Make sure that you net (not consume, NET!) at least 1200 a day. 800 is much too less. Try eating healthy meals 3 times a day, with 2 substantial healthy snacks in between. Also, I recommend no eating late at night.

Totally. It's better to take a day off of diet once a week or month than to eat tidbits throughout your week(s).

I recommend 3-4 days. Perhaps use the other days (minus one, for rest) for strength training.

You should work out whenever suits you best. If you're doing this on top of your 60 minutes of cardio that seems fine to me. Every minute counts.

Although it's good to avoid processed foods, just make sure you scan and read the nutrition facts about what you eat. Avoid processed sugars and white breads and ESPECIALLY anything that isn't water or tea. Soda is a killer.

Cardio will help you lose weight everywhere whilst toning your legs, butt and stomach.

Awesome info! Thanks so much :)
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sorry there's so much here! Please read to the end though, I think it might help! =)

2. Pretty much what everybody else said. Use MFP to calculate how many calories you need to eat. If you eat too little, you'll crash, and so will your metabolism. If you're getting in exercise every day, you may want to set yourself as at least "lightly active".

6a. OMG WATER!!! This is probably the best choice that you can make for yourself. Cutting out pop (and even most juices, which are loaded with sugars) and getting that extra water helps you feel fuller. I've read that a glass of water before a meal helps you to eat less calories. Invest in a good water bottle, its totally worth it! I lost a ton of weight from that decision alone. If you keep the bottle with you all the time, you'll drink it! Water water water!!! (it was the very first thing that I changed, and it helped pave the way for other healthy changes as well)

6b: Special K bars: My husband and I eat a generic version of these once a day, usually as an in-between to keep us from getting hungry between meals and to keep our metabolism up. As long as it fits in your macros, you can have it. Try not to eat empty calories too much though (stuff without vitamins, fiber, protein, etc). I've always felt its better to have a 200 calorie meal bar that has protein and fiber to make you feel full than to have 2 of the 100 calorie "snack packs" that don't have any other nutritional value that leave you feeling hungry an hour later. You'll be REALLY surprised at how the "healthy" 100 calorie tiny packs lack in everything except calories and fat. Fiber/Protein/Lots of Water = Feeling full, using less calories.

7. Your body will lose weight universally everywhere, but keep in mind that every body is different. Some folks loose weight around their face first, and their stomachs last. I've lost 12 pounds, and I've lost more inches around my waist, hips and neck, but my thighs are losing them the slowest. It really helps to keep track of inches as well as weight. That way you can learn how your body ticks and figure out where its "hot spots" and "slow spots" are. It also helps you to see the progress your body is making when the scale doesn't seem to budge. This is important for keeping your motivation up.
  • qtpiez4000
    Options
    Sorry there's so much here! Please read to the end though, I think it might help! =)

2. Pretty much what everybody else said. Use MFP to calculate how many calories you need to eat. If you eat too little, you'll crash, and so will your metabolism. If you're getting in exercise every day, you may want to set yourself as at least "lightly active".

6a. OMG WATER!!! This is probably the best choice that you can make for yourself. Cutting out pop (and even most juices, which are loaded with sugars) and getting that extra water helps you feel fuller. I've read that a glass of water before a meal helps you to eat less calories. Invest in a good water bottle, its totally worth it! I lost a ton of weight from that decision alone. If you keep the bottle with you all the time, you'll drink it! Water water water!!! (it was the very first thing that I changed, and it helped pave the way for other healthy changes as well)

6b: Special K bars: My husband and I eat a generic version of these once a day, usually as an in-between to keep us from getting hungry between meals and to keep our metabolism up. As long as it fits in your macros, you can have it. Try not to eat empty calories too much though (stuff without vitamins, fiber, protein, etc). I've always felt its better to have a 200 calorie meal bar that has protein and fiber to make you feel full than to have 2 of the 100 calorie "snack packs" that don't have any other nutritional value that leave you feeling hungry an hour later. You'll be REALLY surprised at how the "healthy" 100 calorie tiny packs lack in everything except calories and fat. Fiber/Protein/Lots of Water = Feeling full, using less calories.

7. Your body will lose weight universally everywhere, but keep in mind that every body is different. Some folks loose weight around their face first, and their stomachs last. I've lost 12 pounds, and I've lost more inches around my waist, hips and neck, but my thighs are losing them the slowest. It really helps to keep track of inches as well as weight. That way you can learn how your body ticks and figure out where its "hot spots" and "slow spots" are. It also helps you to see the progress your body is making when the scale doesn't seem to budge. This is important for keeping your motivation up.

Wow thank you so much! very helpful:) I try to drink as much water as i can. I did a "how much water should i drink in a day" calculation and I need to drink 85 ounces! I dont think it will be too hard I hope. :D thanks for the help :]