Shoe Owwies!

Options
Since I started walking each day (a little over 3 miles a day) big ole blisters have started developing on my heels. Sometimes I come in and my heels are all bloody. :-(

I started putting big band aids on the broken blisters and just heading out...each walk sucks! Keep in mind I've only started walking this amount very recently.

Am I tying my shoes wrong? Do I have the wrong shoes or socks?

I use any old socks I have that are clean. I do have New Balance shoes, so its not like I bought the cheapest pair I could find.

Help! Any advice would be appreciated!!! If I just need to "tough it out" I'm fine with that, but if I'm doing something wrong I'd like to correct it asap!

Replies

• anewg
    anewg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's possible your shoes are the wrong size. I go a full size up in my work out shoes. I normally wear a 7.5 or 8 in casual/dress shoes, but my current running shoes are a 9. You shouldn't be getting blisters - that's not going to encourage you to walk more. Good luck!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to tell you about the shoes, but I'd get some decent socks. There are some that have thick padding to add more cushioning. I love those!

As for the blisters, I'd go to the drug store and buy some mole skin. Back when I was in marching band, the shoes cut my heels. The only thing that saved me from the excruciating pain was the mole skin. Of course, I'd use an antibiotic, as well.
    Even continue using the skin until you break the shoes in.

Good luck!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I had issues with friction on the bottom of my feet, not enough for blisters since I had pretty tough skin from college, but it would burn. I went to a running store and got two pairs of double layer socks. Best investment ever! No more burning, no more friction. I also got new running shoes that fit great and are sufficiently wide. Might want to look into new socks... and new shoes...
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi, my husband subscribes to Runner's magazine and I remember reading that our feet swell after long periods of running or walking so people should buy shoes that are a half size bigger. And, thicker, more cushioned socks will probably help as well.
    Good luck!
  • austinusn
    austinusn Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi - One of the things you might want to do is go to one of the better sports shoes stores and consult with the staff there. Usually they have folks that will take a look at your feet, your stride, watch you walk (or run) and give you some pointers as to how your feet are acting (flat-footed, over pronation, etc.) and what types of shoes would help correct that. The stores are more attuned to runners but they've also worked with me when I started doing more walking.

A specialty store might cost more but its worth it to find the right shoe.

Good luck!!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I first started walking for extended periods on the treadmill last year, my heels got blisters the first week and then it stopped. I don't know if my heel just needed to get used to something being there (I hate running shoes/sneakers and only wear them when working out). How long did you say this has been happening?

Also, I agree with those saying your shoes should be a little bigger. My sandals are normally 7's - and my running shoes (New Balance also) are 8's.
  • Angelgranny2007
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis and had to stop walking for awhile. I bought some sketchers shape ups and they have made a world of difference because they are very well cushioned on the bottom. But they run small so you have to buy a size larger than you normally wear. Academy Sports carries them for $99.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    Gosh everyone! Thank you for your input!

My Fiance told me I'll just get over it and toughen up...I wanted to get your opinion.

I think I will invest in some better socks...as the "low cost" solution for now...and I might check out that mole skin, as I've used up all the big band aids anyway.

If it keeps up, or as soon as we an afford different shoes I'll defiantly go to a specialty store and talk to them before continuing!