plan seats???

Options
Sooo, who heard this new proposal for people to pay for a flight based on weight?? what do you think of it??

I totally disagree!! I agree that if you take 2 seats you should pay 2 fairs. i weighed 400lbs at my most, down to bout 340lbs now and i know all about getting 2 tickets for trains, concerts etc. I don't fly because i cant afford 2 seats! BUT i think making an entire system based on it is unfair and illogical. like why have a 120lb person pay less than 180lb person?? Everyone is getting the same service. while skinny people may enjoy paying less (who wouldn't??) I do not think anyone would feel they are being short changed if they, as one person, need to pay a fair for the flight of one person.
It just seems like picking on and humiliating bigger people really. Do they not see that? Or could it be, and i suspect it is, that they feel fat people deserve punishment and humilation? What do you think?

http://news.msn.com/us/airline-fares-pay-according-to-your-weight

Replies

• LivMinusTen
    LivMinusTen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What date is Monday again? ;-)
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    it be 27th March today. Monday is the easter bank holiday horay
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Being an Aerospace Engineer I know the harsh fact is airline travel is all about weight. That's the unfortunate truth. The heavier the plane the more fuel and the longer the trip.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.... gonna have to read up on that... Thanks for the info.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Being an Aerospace Engineer I know the harsh fact is airline travel is all about weight. That's the unfortunate truth. The heavier the plane the more fuel and the longer the trip.

i dont see why that means heavier people are benefitting more from it though, so why pay more? They are actually receivong a poorer service due to the rudeness so that should cancel it out and mean they pay less i figure.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I'm going to have to read more but I don't see this happening.
    It would make kids travel very inexpensive though...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I'm going to have to read more but I don't see this happening.

They should pay double! Especially the babies. Popping ears hurt and plane rides are boring, but I don't need to hear them screaming.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I don't have a big problem with airlines putting together fares that are a flat rate for things like pilot's salaries, depreciation on the equipment, etc etc etc, and then having a variable component for gas usage that's based on weight. However, I think administratively it would be a nightmare and would never happen. Do you have people input their weight when they buy the ticket? How do you verify that? Do you weigh everyone in as they go through security? And you'd HAVE to include luggage in that - there's no way that I'm paying extra for my fat patootie if someone else gets to bring twice as much luggage than me and not pay for that. You'd have to weigh everyone's luggage, too.... Never gonna happen. It would cost way more to implement than the airlines would ever make on it.
  • Hopey33
    Hopey33 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So I'm assuming if weight affects planes then it also affects cars.. so then would cab drivera and bus drivers so the same? I unserstand if u take up to seats having to pay for to seats. But how can u differentiate against a very tall muscular man vs a small fat woman like myself? Isn't that some type of discrimination in itself? And I agree with the other person who said to take into consideration luggage... A tiny person w a million shoes in thier suitcase should be just as liable as me n my bookbag carryon. Just a lot of variables to consider if they try to implement that...
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I think this should have been done ages ago! You pay for most luggage and if it is overweight you pay even more. I am all for a base rate and then an additional amount for what you weight plus the weight of all your luggage.

UPS charges by weight. FedEx charges by weight and in the end all airlines are going is transporting you and your luggage from point A to point B.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I think skinny people should sit on my arm rest.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

They should pay double! Especially the babies. Popping ears hurt and plane rides are boring, but I don't need to hear them screaming.

And your whining about them should cost you triple. LOL
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think skinny people should sit on my arm rest.
    That would be me then.

Flip the coin....I resent paying the same price for clothes as larger people..I'm small so they use less material right? So my clothes should be cheaper?
  • shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This type of argument bugs me. I know I am tecnically obese, I am also taller as a female at 5'9", I travel a bit and I have never had a problem sitting in a seat or doing up a seatbelt (I can even tighten it!), i can fit bwteen the armrests and dont ooze onto the next sear. I know on pure weight a plane uses more fuel to fly, but there is always so many other variables to consider than just pure weight of a passenger. I don't know how many times a tall business man has sat next to me and has oozed onto my seat because they are too broad for the seat...but they might be healthy weight for their height or do they pick a number and anyone over that weight healthy or not pay an extra fee per kg?
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think this should have been done ages ago! You pay for most luggage and if it is overweight you pay even more. I am all for a base rate and then an additional amount for what you weight plus the weight of all your luggage.

UPS charges by weight. FedEx charges by weight and in the end all airlines are going is transporting you and your luggage from point A to point B.

But what if you don't bring luggage? That would irritate the crap out of me if as a decently fit 220 lbs guy with a 10 lbs carry on I had to pay an over weight fee for myself and the 190 lbs guy with the 49.5 lbs carry on payed less.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    1) Very likely gonna gonna go. Companies aren't gonna start installing and training people to weight people at airport.

2) If you're overweight, you should be paying for 2 seats. I am overweight. When I took a 24+ hours flight I was mortified that I would have to pay for 2. I didn't had to but I woulda understood. Its not the other passengers problem that I'm fat and so they have to be uncomfortable because of me.

3) Kids on planes are annoying. I know thats not the point of this thread but I just wanted to point it out.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I don't think that the issue is just about the weight - it is about the fit. I know that airlines transport a lot of cargo not just for passengers but packages etc so... there is an overall weight limit and the more it weighs, the more fuel etc. but... I think the issue is the fit.

As airlines continue to put more seats into same plane size, the size available is reduced. Both side-to-side and the knee space. I do have an issue when I am squished next to the window or into the aisle if someone next to me really is too big for the one tiny seat. I am small and feel tight in some seats so I cannot see how a big person (not fat but how about 6'6" at 250 lbs) fits into a seat.

The airline uses "weight" to justify more money as they reduce seat size and space.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    3) Kids are annoying. I know thats not the point of this thread but I just wanted to point it out.

That's more accurate,
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

But what if you don't bring luggage? That would irritate the crap out of me if as a decently fit 220 lbs guy with a 10 lbs carry on I had to pay an over weight fee for myself and the 190 lbs guy with the 49.5 lbs carry on payed less.

You wouldn't pay less. You are transporting 230 lbs, he is transporting 239.5 lbs.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm only small..but the seats I travel in are bloody tiny!