Just want to be normal :(

Options
So sick and tired of seeing girls who eat like pigs and do absolutely no exercise and drink their lives away and don't even go to work and are a size ten and then there's me, who has had a slight slump but still work each day and eat well but just haven't been depriving myself as much for 2 weeks, I gave myself a TWO WEEKS from being obsessively strict and I've gained 1.7kgs. I'm sick of it, I eat one bad meal and it stays on me. I know people say it's not possible but for me it is, my metabolism is farked, can't live like a normal person without gaining weight, what is wrong with me!?

Sorry for the rant but I'm serious I can't handle it anymore, if I eat ONE meal or maybe even TWO meals that are above 500cal, I gain weight and it's not water weight, it doesn't go away after a few days, it stays, it's another two weeks of strict eating and exercise to shift 1-2 500 calorie meals. I store EVERYTHING! I went off MFP for a while because I was obsessively counting everything, I couldn't even have tea with my family without stressing about what was being served because I wasn't in control and then there are girls I know who are lazy, do nothing, don't even have a job, size ten, eat crap, eat junk, drink every single day and never gain!

Replies

• HKooner
    HKooner Posts: 28
    Options
    These girls might be skinny with high body fat percentage!!!!. I bet if you asked them to do a gym and workout they would probably be out of breath...and have a bad recovery time.
    I’m actually the same as you...but I believe I have found out what the root cause of this is for me.....Nutrition.
    If you are eating the correct foods with Nutritional value...you should stay healthy and not put on weight...even if you go over your calories allowance now and again.
    This is something I am going to focus on for the next month and see if it makes a difference. I have a feeling it will.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had been eating consistently at or below my calorie requirement but not losing well, so I took a look at some "other" parts. My sugar consumption was 2 or 3 times what it should be and I was consistently over my sodium by 1000+mg some days. It is frustrating when the few "healthy" convenience foods that I do include in my day to day shoot those two things through the roof, and who even knew there was sodium in some ice cream?! I started paying attention to those - 5 out of 7 days in a week and lost 2.6lbs... much better loss than previously.

Perhaps consider tracking the other parts of your nutrients aside from what you are charting right now and see if you wrangle those in if it might make a difference.

Just some food for thought.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Take a breath and calm down. First off if you been eating in your cals you are not gaining fat (unless you have a medical issue so get it checked out ) plus you need to give it more then a couple of weeks. Also you might want to up your cals if you feel deprived.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I avoid sugar, have recently (past few days) switched from artificial sugar in my tea to having a teaspoon of honey instead. That's the main sugar I consume (apart from things like bread etc).

I've always watched sodium levels,

My day consists of, omelette with spinach or broccoli and cauliflower for breakfast.
    Almond and Dark Chocolate Muesli Bar
    Tuna Avo Baby Spinach and Carrot sandwich on Weight Management Burgen Bread
    Almonds
    Then I usually have a chicken salad wrap or a cooked meal such as chicken and veg and a small portion of rice for dinner.
    cup of tea after dinner.

This should make me gain almost 2 kg in 2 weeks.
  • sazroy
    Options
    And my HRM says I burn about 1500-1700 in a day just working and living my daily activities.. I'm not eating anymore than 1500. I logically shouldn't gain.
  • sazroy
    Options
    Take a breath and calm down. First off if you been eating in your cals you are not gaining fat (unless you have a medical issue so get it checked out ) plus you need to give it more then a couple of weeks. Also you might want to up your cals if you feel deprived.

I had been with MFP for over a year, I go off counting for two weeks and just make smart choices and I gain. I don't want to have to count and measure for the rest of my life.
  • sazroy
    Options

I had been with MFP for over a year, I go off counting for two weeks and just make smart choices and I gain. I don't want to have to count and measure for the rest of my life.

Also don't feel deprived, I could have a bowl of cereal for breaky, a sandwich for lunch and soup for dinner, no snacks and I'd be satisfied, I eat more than this for nutritional value.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I feel your pain!! I am always amazed to see "skinny" or "normal weight" people eat an appetizer, full meal and dessert. Go out and drink and eat whatever. I have been heavy all my life and finally tackled this but.. I cannot do that kind of eating w/out gaining. I have been thinking about this for a while and this is what I have concluded:

1. Some people are born into what I call "the lucky sperm club" - they can eat anything and not gain weight. (There are some in this group who were born to rich parents and will never have to work, have talent etc.)

2. Some people always have to watch what they eat and exercise or will blow up like balloons

3. Then the REST OF THE PEOPLE - I think that these people eat a lot from time to time (this is when you are out with them) BUT... then they normally don't eat much. These are the ones who say "I forgot to eat"!!! I just think they are not obsessed with food so 80% of the time they really don't eat much and the other 20% looks like they pig out all the time. You only see what they want you to see.

Don't compare yourself to others like this. You have to know what kind of person you are and deal with it. I will NEVER be able to eat all I want. I do go out once a month or so and then make sure to get right back on track.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    first of all... there will always be someone who is thinner, prettier, has better hair, a better job, better car... stop comparing yourself to other people!! its pointless! be the best you, for you, not anyone else!

secondly, you can sort out your metabolism.... it'll just take time and you will have to manage your calories properly.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    And my HRM says I burn about 1500-1700 in a day just working and living my daily activities.. I'm not eating anymore than 1500. I logically shouldn't gain.

How tall are you and what is your current weight? 1700 seems like a very low figure for TDEE. I'm only 5'3" and my TDEE is 2000, and I only do 2 one hour sessions of Krav Maga as my exercise each week.

Edited to add: Also, you've done awesomely so far. Congratulations on the 14kg that you've lost over the past year!
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My bad read the post wrong. (Sue me im tired) anyway I wish you the best of luck but don't compare your self to others.
  • sazroy
    Options

How tall are you and what is your current weight? 1700 seems like a very low figure for TDEE. I'm only 5'3" and my TDEE is 2000, and I only do 2 one hour sessions of Krav Maga as my exercise each week.

Edited to add: Also, you've done awesomely so far. Congratulations on the 14kg that you've lost over the past year!

Thank you, I only have 11 to go, but now with the 1.7kg gain i'm now back at 12.7 to go, I just don't want to see the scale rise anymore.

I'm 5'1 and I weigh 75.7kgs at the moment. I'm a checkout operator, so I stand all day.
  • sazroy
    Options
    My bad read the post wrong. (Sue me im tired) anyway I wish you the best of luck but don't compare your self to others.

It's okay :)

Everyone keeps saying "don't compare" but it's so very hard, I don't compare often, but when I see the scale go up and I'm eating well, eating regularly, don't drink soft drinks or juices, only water and lite milk in my green tea.. And then I see these girls.. and my god, it's so hard NOT to compare!
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Thank you, I only have 11 to go, but now with the 1.7kg gain i'm now back at 12.7 to go, I just don't want to see the scale rise anymore.

I'm 5'1 and I weigh 75.7kgs at the moment. I'm a checkout operator, so I stand all day.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply.

The following is just a suggestion by the way. This is based on what I've read on the forums and my own personal experience.

According to fitnessfrog (http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html), it estimates that your TDEE (not including exercise) is 2135. This is at lightly active to account for your being on your feet all day.

If you take 15% off this figure, you get 1814 as a daily calorie goal. This doesn't include exercise, so using this method, you should eat back the calories for any that you do outside of your day to day general living.

As you lose weight, you will need to re-evaluate this figure, as your TDEE will drop as your weight does.

If you try this method, you may find that you gain weight to begin with. Please stick with it. It might take a month to 6 weeks for it to start working as your metabolism resets itself, and your body realises that it's steadily getting enough food. Make sure to eat the majority of your exercise calories back, especially if you are using a HRM to tell you how much you have burned.

A good thread to read for information is the road map: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

You will probably find differing opinions to what I have presented to you, but I hope that this will help you some on your journey. I would advise to read as much as you can and make informed decisions as to what seems best for you.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Oh you are tinier than me in height. I'm only 5'4. Sucks being a shortie huh?

You've got this & you will get there :flowerforyou:
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    chin up, there is no one like you out there, cherish that............ never compare yourself to others........... take your focus off them and devote all the energy into you!!! you can do this,