Am I through?

Options
Quick Question... I have lost around 120 pounds. I weigh 168 now. My "healthy weight" according to the BMI charts is 155. My skin is really loose now and I would venture to say has a lot of weight to it, I have seen some sites online that say after my amount of weight loss 10-15 pounds of extra skin is possible. My question is, should I stop losing weight now and chalk up the extra 13 pounds to skin? My original weight loss goal was to be at 185, then I changed it to 168 (weight to join the military at my height), and have been going for 155 but I don't know if I am getting to thin or not. What is your opinion?

Replies

• jigsaw_gd
    jigsaw_gd Posts: 30
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss ... I'm not sure if there's a "right" answer to your question. BMI really is only a guideline. Maybe stay maintain at this weight for a couple of months and see how you feel?
  • Cole114a
    Cole114a Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    TTT, Any more answers on this???
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Could be done...........how do you feel? Are you happy with how you feel and things you can now do? If so, continue living healthy - you may lose more, you may gain a couple.......you've done wonderfully.......you have to be the one to decide when you've hit your "magic number" if there is one. I think it will be more about how I feel -- but I'm too far to know that yet.

Congrats!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    The question is how do YOU feel? Are you happy with how you look (not including any skin issues)? You can change your body composition by incorporating some heavy lifting and work on adding some muscle now. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss ... I'm not sure if there's a "right" answer to your question. BMI really is only a guideline. Maybe stay maintain at this weight for a couple of months and see how you feel?

i agree with this.

maintain for a while and then decide what you want to do. i maintained for a good 6 months before i decided that i wanted to reduce my bodyfat some more, so now i am back to a slight deficit...

set yourself some fitness goals in the meantime, and see how you feel in a few weeks.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You could maintain at this weight for a while to give your skin a chance to recover and reduce in size. Of course the older you are the harder this will be for your body to do. If you are toning up at the same time doing cardio and strength 3-5 x wk then your body should respond. Give it six months maybe? 120lb is a huge loss - very well done on that btw - so a period of time spent getting used to your new body might be a good idea
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    The question is how do YOU feel? Are you happy with how you look (not including any skin issues)? You can change your body composition by incorporating some heavy lifting and work on adding some muscle now. :)

^this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

^^All of this.

Personally, I am never through. Once I accomplish one goal I immediately embark on the next goal. Improve a specific bodypart. Or a perfomance time. Or a lift. There's always that next little thing. I'll be through when I'm dead.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

^^All of this.

Personally, I am never through. Once I accomplish one goal I immediately embark on the next goal. Improve a specific bodypart. Or a perfomance time. Or a lift. There's always that next little thing. I'll be through when I'm dead.

This. Once you start working on performance goals, there's always gonna be a desire to keep going. To never be finished. Ultimately, it's up to you. I'd say keep setting goals. Once you've hit your weight goal, start going for strength, endurance, or body recomp.