How can I detox my body

Options

Replies

• julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The reason why people get diseases such as colon cancer and the such is because of the buildup of toxins. The body won't eliminate
    it unless it has something to help it out, which would be fiber coming from fruits and veggies, grains and drinking lots of water. In addition to
    the subject of toxins, the subject of weight loss is in effect and excess of things like carbs and sugars turn into toxins and make us have growing "fat cells". To eliminate such as we are all either trying or maintaining, here's a link that helps answer a lot:
    http://kamaral.com/2009/10/10-tips-to-lose-love-handles/

No.no.no. links do not make false statements true.
    No.no.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Just thinking it would be a way to lose weight

caloric deficit

and SQUAT!!! among other things.
    yes.

one must squat!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The reason why people get diseases such as colon cancer and the such is because of the buildup of toxins. The body won't eliminate
    it unless it has something to help it out, which would be fiber coming from fruits and veggies, grains and drinking lots of water. In addition to
    the subject of toxins, the subject of weight loss is in effect and excess of things like carbs and sugars turn into toxins and make us have growing "fat cells". To eliminate such as we are all either trying or maintaining, here's a link that helps answer a lot:

There is so much about this that is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. Absolutely no scientific proof behind what you have said.

OP: It's good that you want to do the best for your body, but detoxing is a myth with no scientific basis. Simply eat under your TDEE (20% under is a good start; calculate your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html). And try to make 80% of that fresh food (meat, fish, veg, fruit, grains, rice etc etc). No need to cut out food groups or deprive yourself (use the spare 20% to eat foods you love so you don't feel deprived or end up binging - for me this includes chocolate and alcohol). Do this and the weight will come off slowly and steadily and stay off and your body will be happy in the process!

People who push detoxing are either misinformed or private businesses trying to part you from your hard-earned cash.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

There is so much about this that is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. Absolutely no scientific proof behind what you have said.

OP: It's good that you want to do the best for your body, but detoxing is a myth with no scientific basis. Simply eat under your TDEE (20% under is a good start; calculate your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html). And try to make 80% of that fresh food (meat, fish, veg, fruit, grains, rice etc etc). No need to cut out food groups or deprive yourself (use the spare 20% to eat foods you love so you don't feel deprived or end up binging - for me this includes chocolate and alcohol). Do this and the weight will come off slowly and steadily and stay off and your body will be happy in the process!

People who push detoxing are either misinformed or private businesses trying to part you from your hard-earned cash.

So much this.

OP just treat your body with respect. Eat well, drink water, exercise.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    When I come across posts like this I just shake my head. First of all misinformation is a deadly thing. There is no reason a person should detox their body with anything other than what God gave us which is our own internal organs etc.

I am not saying eat junk and what not. But, let's not make this any harder. CLEAN eating is all that is needed, by that I mean eat veggies, fruits, nuts, lean proteins etc. and drink, drink, drink plenty of water. I was told by my Dr to get a minimum of half my body weight in ounces of water..........simple enough not a difficult thing to figure out............and EXERCISE yes ya gotta move your *kitten* to help this process....and if it is a quick fix then it isn't gonna last.......if it sounds too good to be true.........DUH then it is.....just saying....
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    In case someone thought I was supporting detoxing the body, I'm not.
    I am a supporter of whole foods and organic if possible to lower chances of diseases.
    I'm someone from a Cardiology background and have spent most of my life studying nutrition.
    Toxins are anything taken in that harms the body. It can even be something that is good but taken
    in excess. Changes in normal Hormones and other bodily chemistry changes in the body promote unhealthy changes when
    the buildup of the toxins are taken in and cause disease. It's not going to be fool proof, nothing in life is 100% but they
    reduced chances when learning food process and causes of disease. Someone mentioned auto-immune
    disease causes cancer........your right, but take it one step back. It's what is put into the body that is toxic
    or lacking that causes auto-immune disease/disorders. You need to look at a full picture, not just a small
    section. Educate yourself more............and yes, fat becomes toxic and causes disease.........sugar becomes
    toxic and causes disease. How about viewing Dr. Robert Lustig and his Skinny on Obesity Series (check out You Tube)...........tons of studies (dating way back showing trends, charts, studies, statistics, etc.) regarding
    what would be toxins and diseases such as cancer and how and why it comes about. Argue with him (he's big time), not me. Best wishes all.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Try eating raw for a week or two. I felt amazing when I did this. Just allowed myself a small piece of meat each night since I'm not a vegetarian. Lots of fruit salad and homemade guacamole with veggies to make sure I got fats in. :-)

Protein deficiency during weight loss is a good way to lose muscle. Way to go!

Not.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What kind of toxins have you put in your body? Are you vomiting? Have you seen a doctor?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Just eat well, exercise, drink water, sleep, relax....you'll lose weight just fine and will be just as "clean" on the inside as anyone else.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I am a supporter of whole foods and organic if possible to lower chances of diseases.
    I'm someone from a Cardiology background and have spent most of my life studying nutrition.
    Toxins are anything taken in that harms the body. It can even be something that is good but taken
    in excess. Changes in normal Hormones and other bodily chemistry changes in the body promote unhealthy changes when
    the buildup of the toxins are taken in and cause disease. It's not going to be fool proof, nothing in life is 100% but they
    reduced chances when learning food process and causes of disease. Someone mentioned auto-immune
    disease causes cancer........your right, but take it one step back. It's what is put into the body that is toxic
    or lacking that causes auto-immune disease/disorders. You need to look at a full picture, not just a small
    section. Educate yourself more............and yes, fat becomes toxic and causes disease.........sugar becomes
    toxic and causes disease. How about viewing Dr. Robert Lustig and his Skinny on Obesity Series (check out You Tube)...........tons of studies (dating way back showing trends, charts, studies, statistics, etc.) regarding
    what would be toxins and diseases such as cancer and how and why it comes about. Argue with him (he's big time), not me. Best wishes all.

I have a plethora of illnesses, including autoimmune (lupus), fibromyalgia, chronic migraine and chronic fatigue syndrome. Look I get it. It's so much easier to say that food is causing these diseases, because that's something that can be controlled. If I could just eat the right foods and be healed-- it's a very tempting thought. But it just isn't that simple. We don't know what causes autoimmune conditions but I've never seen any evidence that toxins (or sugar) are to blame. Dr. Lustig is just not a reputable source as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure you'd have the same reaction to my sources (pretty much the entire cast of science based medicine). I have educated myself. Having educated myself I feel that the evidence does not support your claims.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Big picture?

Your body splits cells every day. Every. Day. Skin, organs, development, everything... that results from millions and millions of cells copying, splitting, dying, etc.

Unfortunately, sometimes a cell mutates during this process and reproduces. Guess what happens after?

This has happened since before the industrial revolution, since before "processed foods," and probably will happen until science finds any sort of way to 100% stop it.

It happens because of genetics, or because of a mutation (something that is, as "mutation" suggests, random). Sometimes it CAN come from external sources... but lung cancer or liver cancer from cigarettes and alcohol isn't even a "build up of toxins" just sitting there turning into cancer. Organs that handle the "detoxing" (hey, what this thread is about!) get overworked from huge excesses. And even then, not everyone that does these things GETS those cancers. Why?

Because, more often than not, the cells just don't split that way.

"Changes in normal Hormones and other bodily chemistry changes in the body promote unhealthy changes"? Say changes one more time.

But really--hormones change all the time... again, also randomness that generally doesn't negatively affect people. But sometimes does... and results in diseases, cancer, etc. Certain things can influence it (weight, over or under, can result in hormonal changes for the worse, for example), but this "toxin buildup" that you are stating as the MAIN reason for all disease and cancers is just so, so wrong (and so, so deluded), that I can't sit back and just post .gifs.

Nonetheless, I leave here with this:

tumblr_mj5izkbwiH1qlvwnco1_400.gif
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It's so much easier to say that food is causing these diseases, because that's something that can be controlled. If I could just eat the right foods and be healed-- it's a very tempting thought. But it just isn't that simple.

I think that explains A LOT of the lure of "eating/exercising/doing the hokey pokey/ any number of willpower based treatments" juuuuuust right will heal you. It wards off the fear that sometimes things just go bad. It makes you feel like you are in control. That you can make it go away just by doing this very simple one thing, if only you were smart or strong or brave enough to do it.

It's over simplistic and denies the incredible nuances of the human body. Moreso, it can be damaging. Real life saving medical treatment can be put on hold in this desperate attempt to fix it yourself.

That's dangerous.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

This is really off base.

To the OP, your body will do it on it's own if you are eating right and portion controls. The stories you hear about "i did a detox and lost 10 lb's in 1 week" are always water weight and usually they find it later on. Eat healthy and your body will take care of itself.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Which toxin are you specifically looking to remove from your body?
    The bright green ones in vats make you big and strong or give you x-ray vision. You might want to keep those toxins.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Lustig?

**** no. He's probably the 2nd biggest quack out there, behind Mercola.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It's so much easier to say that food is causing these diseases, because that's something that can be controlled. If I could just eat the right foods and be healed-- it's a very tempting thought. But it just isn't that simple.

I think that explains A LOT of the lure of "eating/exercising/doing the hokey pokey/ any number of willpower based treatments" juuuuuust right will heal you. It wards off the fear that sometimes things just go bad. It makes you feel like you are in control. That you can make it go away just by doing this very simple one thing, if only you were smart or strong or brave enough to do it.

It's over simplistic and denies the incredible nuances of the human body. Moreso, it can be damaging. Real life saving medical treatment can be put on hold in this desperate attempt to fix it yourself.

That's dangerous.

Spot. On.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

That's dangerous.

Exactly right.
  • BossBich
    BossBich Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just thinking it would be a way to lose weight

Calorie deficit is how you lose weight. You don't have pounds of toxins in your body making you fat.
  • sunset1004
    sunset1004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try eating raw for a week or two. I felt amazing when I did this. Just allowed myself a small piece of meat each night since I'm not a vegetarian. Lots of fruit salad and homemade guacamole with veggies to make sure I got fats in. :-)

Protein deficiency during weight loss is a good way to lose muscle. Way to go!

Not.

Eating about 8 cups of vegetables, 5 cups of fruit, 3/4 cup of homemade guac, and a chicken breast cooked in oilve oil over 1 day is over 1200 calories and gives 18% of calories for the day from protein, 33% from fat and 49% from carbohydrates. Plus its 41 grams of fiber.

When you eat large amounts of fruits and vegetables, remember that about 10% of their calories come from protein, and it really doesn't take that much else to get to a reasonable amount for a day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If nature made it, it's good. If man made it, it's not so good.

That's an oversimplification. There are lots of harmful things in nature, and hell just look at men like Thomas Edison for how much good man-made things can be. Oh, and what's this internet thing that allows us to communicate? hmmm