Looking for vegetarian/vegan mfp friends

Options
Hi everybody :)

I am a long time vegetarian and an apiring vegan, and would love to make friends on mfp with similar aspirations. While my family and fiancée are very supportive of vegetarianism, they all seem to feel that veganism is "going too far," and it's difficult to stick to my moral goals when my family is so negative about it. I would love to develop a support group with others :)

Thanks so much for your time!

Lizzie

Replies

• purple817
    purple817 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi I've been veggie 25 years and family support is vital and luckily my family became veggies after me, as for being vegan that is your choice and ignore the over zealous veggies, you always get militants!

Feel free to add me, I'm looking for new friends
  • tzvrchka
    tzvrchka Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been vegetarian for year and a half approximately. Feel free to add me.
  • opheliaphoenix
    opheliaphoenix Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm 28 and have been a vegetarian since I was 19. This is the year I have decided to phase into going vegan, so your post has perfect timing...lol. I'm being patient with myself and have given myself until the end of the year to go fully vegan while I learn the best ways to go about it. I'm also going to try to go at least 50-75% raw by then, as well. We'll see. Anyways, I'd love to be your friend, so I sent you a request. Any other veggies can feel free to add me, too!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I gradually switched to veganism in February without a lot of support from friends and family. I was feeling good after my body adjusted to the increased fiber in my diet and it was having only positive effects on my running. But I ended up with pneumonia after a business trip and everyone blamed it on my diet. Really I got a cold due to air travel and it progressed to pneumonia because I have asthma and I'm a single mom of a 3 year old so I don't get to rest properly when I'm sick. Anyway, I'd love friends dealing with the same issues so feel free to add me.
  • mochablend
    mochablend Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!
    I'm vegetarian but with some lactose intolerance... Just got 1,000 vegan recipes by Robin Robertson. This was recommended to me by a lot of people. I'm looking to exchange recipe ideas, etc. I really do not have time to cook and I have developed some food allergy so I cannot go 100% vegan as I try to limit gluten and I avoid soy (not really good for the ladies).

Tonight, for dinner, I had spring mix salad with quiñoa and oven-roasted goat cheese with glazed walnut & cranberries. I made the cheese last weekend and froze it. I break a piece off and warm it up before adding it to anything. Goat cheese does not have the effect of "cow cheese" so no stomach issue!

Do feel free to add me as a friend and maybe we could use this thread for exchange of ideas?
  • Gina91507
    Gina91507 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm a new Veggie and I'm looking for new recipes. What is the best pace to look for yummy, filling, healthy recipes?
  • Trugrit12
    Trugrit12 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey! A year ago my husband and I joined MFP to get in shape for our wedding. While doing so we switched from dairy milk to almond, we both grew up on a lot of milk so this was a sizable feet for both of us. I grew up on a lot of eggs and lean proteins so I don't find myself always wanting them anyway. I used to work as a cook so I've seen and tasted some pretty awesome vegetarian dishes so I'm interested in more vegetarian alternatives and would love to see what you do!
    Also we love morningstar! big fans ;]

Danielle
  • Sarahland
    Sarahland Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I've been vegetarian for about two and a half years now. I could never go vegan, because I feel that the nutritional benefits of eggs is almost unmatched, but I don't drink cow's milk (I prefer soy). And I am trying, with little success, to kick my cheese habit lol But anyone who wants to request me is more than welcome!
  • chezst33
    chezst33 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hello! I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and would love to be MFP friends with a few other vegetarians. Since our diet is different than meat eaters, it'll be great to share advice, recommendations, problem solve etc. I often think a vegetarian shouldn't be over weight, but tada! Hoping to find some support on here.
  • jono2970
    jono2970 Posts: 71
    Options
    Your family will naturally gravitate to something not considered 'the norm'. My family are all meat eaters, I just don't like it, that's all...so you're in good company on MFP as I think many will agree with you. Wishing you the best, add me if you would like to!
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I still do eat some meat (mostly because of my family and not being able to cook a bunch of different meals) but strive not to and slowly moving towards vegetarianism. I am already lactose intollerant so can not eat dairy products, the only thing that I do still eat on a regular basis are eggs. Veganism is great and would love to slowly move that way. One of my good friends is a vegan and has been for a very long time. She lost 95lbs within 1 year of going vegan and is never sick... like never sick.
    Go for it girl! Add me if you wish :)
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a newbie (6months) vegetarian. I lean towards veganism but its not always possible. At home i eat vegan as much as possible, split 50/50 between moral and health benefits. Plant power all the way. Love talking veggie stuff I have a similar problem with family, and friends still frown when i say that I don't eat dead animals, I don't feel weird about it any more. Another positive is that I lost 14lbs since December working out and eating right and since taking a month off eating and drinking (veggie) what I like I've only gained back 1-2 lbs. on my old diet that would have been more like 7-8lbs so it allows me to relax more with out worrying so much about gains. I've really started to enjoy more vegetables too. Plant power all the way. Good luck and add me if you like :-)
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie but no one else in my family is so I have to cook meat for everyone else and try and make stuff for me as well. I'ts made even more complicated by the fact my daughter has a very sensitive dairy allergy...anyway up I'm training my son (age 10) to cook meat as he's the one who really wants it and luckily my husband cooks quite a bit and doesn't mind eating a lot of beans and lentils. One of the things I've realised from MFP is that I wasn't eating enough protein so I'm really trying to work on that. I 'll send you a friend request as it would be nice to hear how other veggies get on.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me: i am vegan
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Don't let family get in the way of your goals I know it's easier said then done, I have family which doesn't believe in working out or eating right and they try to get me to join in on their unhealthy habits
  • sugahmagnolia
    sugahmagnolia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI Lizzie :)
    I have been a vegetarian for over 20yrs and have played with the vegan role off and on, probably for a month or so at a time. You can log onto Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine (pcrm.org) for their health and nutrition site. They do a vegan trial with recipes. This is what I do 2 or 3 times a year. Lot's of good resources out thier!
    Barb
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been a veggie for as long as I can remember, which is a very long time, so please feel free to add me if you like. As for going vegan, it's your choice and you should do what feels right for you :smile:
  • sarahp4769
    sarahp4769 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Im a vegi and have been for 20 years, feel free to add me. You should check out the group 'Happy herbivores' its for vegis and Vegas and has lots if support and good recipes!
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! Vegetarian here. I gave up red meat 8 years ago and went vegetarian almost 5 years ago, so I'm not super new to the lifestyle, but not uber experienced either. I just like my fruits and veggies ;)
  • NYUbookworm
    Options
    Hi! I'm vegetarian and just joined MFP this week. I've eaten vegan before and have nothing against it. However, I recently started eating gluten-free, so with that additional limitation, I'm holding on to dairy for a while longer. I have 73 lbs. to lose, so there's work to do. This is my third day and I must say that I believe this is going to be a great tool for me. I work full-time while also studying at NYU. I was losing weight, but gained it back after two semesters of algebra. LOL!

I don't have any friends MFP yet, so feel free to add me!