Lost 23 pounds since January 1

Options
I have lost 23 pounds since January 1, 2013 using myfitnesspal, counting calories, and lots of cardio. I lost 13 pounds in January, 6 pounds in Feburay, and 4 pounds in March. I have obviously slowed down from January which is frustrating. I do great during the week but backslide a little on weekends.

Right now I'm at 184 and would like to continue losing until I reach 170. I need to recommit to finish my goal. By the end of April my goal is to be at 170. My biggest challenge is heading the the beach next week during spring break. I plan on taking my scales and exercising everyday.:drinker:

Replies

• sophia_grant
    Options
    Great job! At he beginning of the year many people join gym ad lose a lot of weight, but by February they just quit. It's great that you have lost all this weight. If I lost 90 lbs I would be considered UNDER weight. You've been losing less weight because you've been doing this for a while. Keep working, I know you'll reach your goal!!!!!!!!!
  • mcharping
    Options
    Thanks - It seems like it would be easier to lose weight when the weather is warmer. A least you can exercise outdoors. All of my cardio has been in the gym.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You only lost four pounds this month, but you plan on losing 14 next month?

A decent rule of thumb is to plan on 1% of your body weight per week, but even that assumes that the stars align properly.

Just keep eating right and moving, like you will have to do to maintain.

You don't say how tall you are. Is 170 a reasonable goal for you?
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I think you may have set your goal (for 14 pounds in one month) too high. It's true that you have done MUCH BETTER than the average person on MFP. However, it's unrealistic to think you can lose 14 pounds when last month you only lost 4 pounds. If you lose 4 pounds in April you should feel VERY GOOD.

Good luck.:smile:
  • beelanc
    beelanc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your intake amount with your new weight? I go into my settings and reset the goal every time I lose some weight. It lowers your recommended amount if you weigh less. Maybe something needs adjusting. :) Just a suggestion.
  • mcharping
    Options
    I'm 5' 11". Fourteen pounds in one month may be a bit aggressive. I'm a little frustrated at my poor discipline in March.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 11". Fourteen pounds in one month may be a bit aggressive. I'm a little frustrated at my poor discipline in March.

You have done great so far. There is no need to be frustrated. If I could give you any encouragement, it would be to simply make your goals attainable and form a definite plan to reach them.

I too am 5'11" tall. I set my goal for one pound/week. It's been eleven weeks and I'm right on track. It has been VERY easy to follow MFP recommendations with this goal.

Once again....Good luck!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Yours has been similar to mine. I started Feb 1st. I lost 12lbs in Feb, and have only lost 6lbs so far for March, I was hoping for at least 8, but it's not going to happen. I am hoping for another lb in there, but I am not holding my breath. Things have certainly slowed down. I think I had such a big number in the beginning is because I gave up a big coke habit along with junk food. I am eating so much healthier and drinking water. I feel 5-6lbs a month will now be more likely. Anyway congrats on your awesome weight loss.
  • ozonenrhia1
    Options
    Today is my first day, looking to loose 30-40 pounds before next summer:) Really enjoy hiking and camping so hopefully that will help:) and by camping back packing lol

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]40672583.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • taylorgray39794
    taylorgray39794 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just joined yesterday and I'm feeling really good about this. I am GOING to loose 30 lbs. if it kills me :)
  • mcharping
    Options
    Weighed this morning and lost 2 pounds, that puts me at 6 pounds lost for the month and 5 days to go. I normally go to the gym on my lunch break and do about 45 minutes on the Stair Stepper or Elliptical machine. That is good for about 600 calories per session. Whenever you lose a couple of pounds it seems to movitate you to work harder.

The big challenge is heading for the weekend.
  • vidya14
    vidya14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just joined today.. Used to weigh 78kgs but now I am 65 kg. Have to be 60 soon! Need motivation!
  • Northgardener
    Northgardener Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! But the slowdown in weight loss is not unexpected. It is very healthy to lose a small amount of weight each week (a pound or so) so as not to radically alter what your body sees as normal. To compare, In the same time frame I have lost 12 lbs, (6 feet tall) and am one pound away from my goal weight of 160 (a weight I was at from high school until my middle 30's (now in 50's) Due to the cardio and strength training I am doing, I'm in the best shape I've been in since then. Keep up the good work!
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a similar timeline. I lost 18 in January, 8 in February, and only 3 in March. I think it's part of the diet cycle where you cut out all the bad foods so you see a BIG drop at first, but then as you keep going, there's nothing bad to cut out anymore! I have had only ONE cheat day since Jan 1, so I know it's not because of that ... it's my body adjusting to this new lifestyle.

Don't get discouraged! The scale is only a number. Focus on how your clothes fit and how you feel.

Are you doing an exercise program? Walking three times a week might help. Or the 30 day shred, if you are a little more active. Couch to 5K. Something.
  • dalexander82
    dalexander82 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Way to go, keep up the good work!!!
  • runningwild00
    Options

You have done great so far. There is no need to be frustrated. If I could give you any encouragement, it would be to simply make your goals attainable and form a definite plan to reach them.

I too am 5'11" tall. I set my goal for one pound/week. It's been eleven weeks and I'm right on track. It has been VERY easy to follow MFP recommendations with this goal.

Once again....Good luck!

I think it is perfectly fine to feel frustrated. Frustration is fuel for your fire so you keep working hard. I do agree, careful with a goal to lose so many lbs in 1 month, maybe aim for 2 months? I hear you on weekends -- it can be tough!
  • mcharping
    Options
    Headed to the gym tonight, maybe burn off a few hundred calories before dinner.
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Are you my missing brother... boy I read this and I am like what am I doing in the body of a guy in nc... ? Ugh I am learning to let this just be a journey to better choices. On the 12 of March I had to give my scale away until the 12 of April. My start date was also January the 7th to be exact and I also lost like 10 pounds in January and like 6 between february and march my scale was stolen before I weighed in though so I will have an update on the 12 of April but I too am screaming I need 14 pounds by the 12th of april. Im learning to say im gonna get what I get and keep going down keep excercising and eating well. Most recently ive been planning stuff where I have to walk alot for entertainment to keep me focused down time is really dangerous for me because lets face it you do good for 5 days screw up for 2 where is the sense in that... I wish you luck I know I talk to much however you triggered something in me to say OMG I am just like this guy! Best of luck!
  • mcharping
    Options
    I understand about screwing up. What I have come to accept is it's going to happen. If I can be good for 5 or 6 days then I'm going to beat myself up because I have an appetizer Friday night. We have a social life as well.