Phentermine helped????????

Options
I went to doctor last week to talk about Alli diet pills and doctor gave me Phentermine... She said if am serious about loosing weight and stick to eating less/exercise more it should help a lot.
So I started Saturday, and ohhh boy was my energy out the roof!!!! I went to the gym that morning and did 6 miles on elliptical!!! wholly molly,, i haven't done that in years it seems like!
The pills are definitely helping with cravings and energy.

Has anyone else tried these????? Did it work??
Am having high hopes it helps me reach my goal...

Replies

• BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a three-month period and did lose a fair amount of weight (I don't remember how much). However, as time goes on the efficacy of the pill diminishes which also means that it should only be taken for a maximum of 3 months.
    After I came off the Phentermine it was very easy to eat too much because I was hungry and I gain most of the weight back.
    With the correct guidance by your physician you will most likely achieve fantastic results.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Eat under your TDEE and move. Drugs are not the answer. :noway:
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It works, I used it for a short period, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's much more sustainable for you to change your lifestyle and your habits slowly than using pills for quick weight loss. That's jusy my opinion, though!

The phentermine eventually made me cranky, jittery, moody, and caused insomnia. The side effects weren't worth it.
  • Tink2426
    Tink2426 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi just wanted to share my experience with phentermine

Took it for the first time last year while incorporating a very clean minimal processed food diet I lost about 50lbs in about 4 months. I stopped taking the phentermine after four months and just incorporated exercise into my routine.

Now I've tried every diet out there- and these pills worked. Not because it killed my appetite (which it does) but because it killed me horrible cravings for sweets, soda, and late time snacking. Yes having the will power to say no is Great, but doesn't work for everyone obviously since we are all here to lose weight. The phentermine allowed me to be able to eat clean without binging on sweets and fried food all the time. I just didnt crave it like i normally would on a diet. It was easy to pick the healthier option most of the time and if I did indulge I never went overboard.

yes pills have side effects etc but if you're using this under a doctors supervision I think there's nothing wrong with it as long as its used properly. It's not something you can be on forever but it definitely will kick start your weight loss and thus encourage you to lose more weight.

Good luck :)
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40 pounds and reached my goal weight using phentermine in maybe 6months 4 years ago, before I got pregnant and gained it all back. It does work. But be aware that since I've gained all my weight *and then some* back, it no longer works on me. My doctor says sometimes if you take a medication, stop taking it, then start back up again that it won't work the second time. And that's been my case. I was very disappointed after I had my baby when I realized the phentermine wasn't working the second time.

ETA: I don't really remember how long I was on it. :3
  • tmstoys2
    tmstoys2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is just legal speed. Beware of the mood changes and your behavior, I think those are the worse side effects.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    They wouldn't prescribe it if it had no effect, so it's going to work to some degree. What's also important is what side-effects you experience, whether or not it's safe for you, and whether or not you can maintain any weight lost.
  • splixi
    splixi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    heya!- so I started it two weeks ago (15mg).....hard to know if what I have lost is attributed to phentermine or my calorie intake- always <1000 per day) because I lost some before it. In the last month or so i've lost about 7kg....and I only "just" fit into overweight category to start with.

I have had no side effects! well bad ones....I have more energy and can concentrate sooo much better at uni!

The thing it does do is dilate my pupils- a lot! people notice all the time.....like said above it is pretty much legal speed.

Honestly? I don't feel the appetite suppression effects that much....thinking about asking my doctor to be on a higher dosage.