How many calories does one person need?

Options
Ok so I am serverly overweight and I am now making major changes in my lifestyle to lose 100+ pounds. Dont want to lose it all too fast just to gain it all back. I am working out with a trainer 2x a week for an hour each. we do a mix of cardio and strength training. I have lost almost 20 pounds since starting this 2 months ago. What I want to know is what is a healthy calorie intake. MFP has my calorie intake due to the weight loss but it just seems too low. Can anyone who is good at this let me know how to figure it out or what I should be eating?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mistyg07
    mistyg07 Posts: 29
    Options
    I would like to add that I seem to be more hungry lately. Not sure if that helps.
  • mudbugs07
    mudbugs07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    MFP is a baseline to start with. I would find out that your TDEE and your BMR and try and stay in between those to numbers that may help. Also if your still hungry drink more water. I go officer frava from the movie super trooper. Instead of a liter of cola I go with a liter of water. A lot of time when you feel hungry you are Infact dehydrated. So I would say drink more water .
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so I'm not sure how much you're eating right now. A person's calorie needs are dependent on a few different factors like height, weight, age, gender, non exercise daily activity (desk job vs. manual labor), and exercise. use the search function and look up "in place of a roadmap" for a good place to start.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    a 1700 calorie goal is a good place to start for most people. If used wisely, 1700 calories will allow for a very fullfilling 3 meals and snacks per day. If you need any ideas for low cal, filling healthy meals shoot me a message. Congrats on your 20lb weight loss!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok so I am serverly overweight and I am now making major changes in my lifestyle to lose 100+ pounds. Dont want to lose it all too fast just to gain it all back. I am working out with a trainer 2x a week for an hour each. we do a mix of cardio and strength training. I have lost almost 20 pounds since starting this 2 months ago. What I want to know is what is a healthy calorie intake. MFP has my calorie intake due to the weight loss but it just seems too low. Can anyone who is good at this let me know how to figure it out or what I should be eating?

Thanks in advance.

Keep in mind, unless you add exercise into your lifestyle, the calories that MFP give you is a baseline. Once you exercise you are supposed to eat more calories.