Calories burnt on Elliptical trainers.

Options
2»

Replies

• DaRoseBehindRoRo
    DaRoseBehindRoRo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find myself correcting all the My Fitness Pal preset numbers, they all seem higher than what my HR Monitor or my Garmin shows, I do this so that I dont over eat based on what it tells me I have earned in additional food calories. I agree with the others get a HR Monitor with Polar, or some other that will be based on your levels, and not the machine, or the data in MFP.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM as it is the only true way to tell. Per my HRM i usually burn 10 cals per minute when i am in or above the target HR zone....so i would say 360 cals is accurate if you feel like you were going balls to wall on the elliptical.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    corect me if i'm wrong, oh knowledgeable ones, but i figure i burn more than the machine tells me coz i generally don't enter my weight. MFP on the other hand knows what i weigh and what my height is so knows more accurately what i'm burning than a random gym machine with default settings.

When you are entering it through myfitness pal it is the general estimate, not a specific one to you and your weight. Ever since I got my HRM I had to adjust ALL the calories burned on MFP for the exercises I used. Unfortunately, it is not that accurate. If you want an accurate reading to what YOU are burning, than get a HRM. However, you don't need one to lose weight.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    corect me if i'm wrong, oh knowledgeable ones, but i figure i burn more than the machine tells me coz i generally don't enter my weight. MFP on the other hand knows what i weigh and what my height is so knows more accurately what i'm burning than a random gym machine with default settings.

For me the MFP estimates are way off from what my HRM tells me I have burned. MFP always over estimates and mind you I work out pretty hard, usually my HR is between 165-180. So I would not rely on the MFP estimates or the machines.
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM as it is the only true way to tell. Per my HRM i usually burn 10 cals per minute when i am in or above the target HR zone....so i would say 360 cals is accurate if you feel like you were going balls to wall on the elliptical.

This!
  • DaRoseBehindRoRo
    DaRoseBehindRoRo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I go by what my HRM tells me, the numbs in MFP are really overstated.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I rely on my HRM. It is a Polar FT4 and has a strap which goes around my chest. It is the best thing I ever invested in. It is way off from MFP and another 200, if not 250 calories off from any machine I use. I use my elliptical an awful lot. My elliptical says in my 30 minutes of time on my high resistance I burn around 550 calories. My HRM says it's 337 calories or so. Everyone is going to have their opinion on what to trust. I, personally, only trust my HRM.

Agree. Before I got an HRM i did a lot of research and asked The Polar FT4 was the highest rated.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The cardio facilities in my gym are surprisingly close to what my HRM (Polar FT7) tells me. MFP estimations are bullocks.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I just take what it says on the machine and.change the amount of time on mfp to make it right...