Running or Walking???

Options
Hi
I have a treadmill at home which at the minute I walk at a fast pace and do 3 miles in 30 minutes. I was wondering if this is as good for you as running as when I try my shins seem to hurt.

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you are walking 3 miles in 30 minutes, you are walking faster than a lot of people run. As long as you get your heart rate up, you are doing good.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I think both are beneficial, walking can burn a lot of calories.
    My advice would be to give running a try once you are comfortable/bored of walking to up your fitness level. As obviously being able to run for 30 minutes is having a higher fitness level than being able to walk for 30 minutes. It will also burn more calories.
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For now, just walk. You can't risk your shin splints getting to a point where you can't even walk regularly. For weight loss, walking is fine and you certainly get cardio benefits from fast walking as well (not sure of your goals, though). If weight loss is your primary goal, just walk fast. As you lose weight, the risk from jogging will decrease and you can mix of bit of that in.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    3 miles in 30 minutes is 6 mph which is running.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I wonder if something is off on your treadmill because that is 6mph. I'm quite fit and have been running since December and I couldn't walk that pace on my treadmill, it's way too fast for walking on my belt.
  • roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    only chuck norris can walk at 6mph
  • mrsjhcrabtree
    mrsjhcrabtree Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    only chuck norris can walk at 6mph

I think we found Chuck Norris
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Theres certain changes like your shoes, your stride and posture than can effect shins. Also working your way up slowly (doing 1 min run, 1 min walk, etc) can help build your strength in bones, muscles, tendons. I don't know if you're wanting to get into running but I just thought I'd share that. I had the same problem when starting to run. Doing any kind of movement is great, including walking. You will burn more calories running, and work different muscle groups though.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Race walkers can go way faster than 6mph

Perez08a.gif

They don't look cool, but they go faster. :tongue:
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Depends on a number of things. Walking has its benefits. I suggest upping the incline though.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have a treadmill at home which at the minute I walk at a fast pace and do 3 miles in 30 minutes. I was wondering if this is as good for you as running as when I try my shins seem to hurt.

My wife had similar issues and she started running in her socks without shoes. This forces you to strike with your midfoot and lets your body's natural shock absorbers do their job. Give that a try and see if it helps. If it does (and I would put money it will) then look into some minimalist shoes. Chances are if your shins are hurting you are front striking. Also would be a good idea to go to a running shop and have a gait analysis done.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Race walkers can go way faster than 6mph

28th, last, place at the Olympics for the 20km walk finished in 1:27. That's just over 13.75 kph or 8.5 mph (7:00 mile).
    Last place in the 50km walk finished in 4:15. That's 11.75 kph or 7.3 mph (8:13 mile). The winner was almost an hour faster.

Walk just means that the front heel has to touch the ground before the back toe come up AND the "support" leg, where your weight is, has to stay straight. That's what causes the funky hip roll.

That GIF is of a guy who held the WR in the 20k - 1:17. He WALKS 6 minute miles... (6:15 in that race, or 9.6 mph)
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Walking at 6 mph and jogging at 6 mph burn the same number of calories. Putting it on an incline would help increase the intensity and calories burned.