Does fasting put you into starvation mode??

Options
Elokyn
Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
I'm a little confused. I see a lot of people on here talk about how they're fasting for several days or as much as a week to "cleanse their systems", and to think about it at first it does seem like it would put you off at a fresh start, but wouldn't it make you go into starvation mode? Then when you ate again would it store as fat right off the bat and put you back where you were day 1? I hope I'm explaining my question right. It was something I was considering doing but then when I think about it it seems like it could potentially be a set back. Help??

Replies

• absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    yes. it would. if you fast for a week... your metabolism will drop so your body uses the least energy possible to maintain functions. not eating... is a bad idea. period.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    From what I know - no, I'm not a doctor - fasts will help rid your body of toxins but for the most part, that's about it.
    not life long weight loss.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    There are different types of fasts. Some are raw foods only or liquids only. I have a friend that did an organic whole foods fast. You don't have to completely stop eating all together. You can fast certain foods while eating others. There are safe ways of doing it and bad ways of doing it. People really need to consult a doctor before they do fasts to ensure they are being healthy. But yes you could go into starvation mode and even dehydrate yourself pretty bad if not done properly.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Fasting will not dramatically decrease your metabolism. In fact, it may even increase it for a short amount of time if you fast for a day or two. Going into starvation mode is very hard to do and takes a lot longer than a few days or weeks.

These 2 articles are excellent reads concerning the truth about starvation mode:

http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html
  • MakeupbyMissVee
    Options
    Either way you put it..fasting is bad. Whether it be a liquid fast, veggie fast, fruit fast or whatever...it all comes down to if your body is not getting the proper nutrition/calories/good fat and all that other nice stuff that helps us to function normal and healthy on a day to day basis..your body WILL go into starvation mode.
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This might not all be the exact specific way of putting this stuff but this is what I gather & my experience after a 28 day water fast without gaining back any fat & actually losing fat after the fast.

When you fast the first phase is your body using up the stores of glycogen that your liver keeps on reserves. This usually take about 3 days. Then you switch over to ketosis. Ketosis is when your body looks to the stored fat cells, which are actually just stores of excess toxins & junk your body wasn't able to use when you consumed them, for energy. So you begin chomping away at all the stores that you have "saved" up over the years. As long as you continue this ketosis and your stores do not run out then you are not in starvation mode. True hunger, which is a sign that you need to eat because you are about to start starving, is felt in the throat like thirst. When is the last time you felt that? Well when hunger returns during the fasting period this is when you need to stop the fast & start eating again otherwise you will go into starvation mode.

This difference between eating-regularly & not-getting-enough-calories-starvation-mode is that your body is using the food your taking in for nutrition & energy. During fasting you are in ketosis and you are strictly using your stores.

Now fasting for weight loss is not the right way to go about it. You should be fasting for health & a fresh clean start. Following the fast with the proper diet (eating only fresh fruit, veggies, nuts & seeds) is the only way you will not gain back the toxins & waste which go into stores that can suffocate your organs & add rolls. Also when you are ready reincorporating exercise is key.

Metabolism: Many people believe that fasting destroys your metabolism. For me it skyrocketed. Why? Because my body was working more efficiently - it was able to process, break down, digest, and use what I was giving it in a streamlined way. Before fasting it was hard for me to even want to work out - now I love to and enjoy it. It was almost impossible to sweat before fasting - it just didn't happen for me - I might "glow" but not sweat. Now I can go outside and sit in the sun for a little while & I begin to sweat. This means I'm eliminating which is the goal. When I started exercising again I was actually working out harder & longer than I had before the fast even from the very first workout.

The people that fail at fasting are the ones who don't go into it with the correct knowledge, proper outlook & defined goals. They also don't break the fast properly or go back to horrible eating habits and binge as soon as possible. Nor do they incorporate exercise.

I have lost 36lbs in the past month through cleansing & raw foods. I have cured numerous health problems and controlled others. I feel more energized, stronger, and more alive. Not trying to be one sided here but hey how can I not be.

If you would like information from holistic/natural hygiene doctors check out these links:
    http://drbenkim.com/fasting.html (SHORT)
    http://chestofbooks.com/health/natural-cure/The-Hygienic-... (DETAILED)
    http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/introduction-to-fasting/ (Tons of info & not just about fasting. Many articles by doctors.)

******as with anything consult your doctor (preferably a holistic/natural hygiene doctor who actually studied nutrition)
  • MissyMorganFit
    Options
    You should try the "3-Day Shakeology Cleanse"! It is AWESOME! Most people lose 3-7lbs during this, & it is a great jumpstart to any program. It contains the daily nutrition your body requires on a daily basis so you are still getting plenty of vitamins & nutrients. Plus, it does not leave you feeling hungry. If you are interested, send me a direct message. :smile:

Missy
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I *personally* do not believe that one's body needs to be starved to be cleansed. Your body has all the equipment to eliminate toxins naturally. Eating clean will do that. That being said I think each person needs to do the research and make their own informed choice. SO, :laugh: to answer you question. IMO yes, you are 100% right. I like to look at my body like a nomad. Our bodies are designed to go with out food for periods of times when we were nomadic. Our bodies use up the reserves and store the fats for the next time we won't have food. Not to mention the loss of very important electrolytes. I am sure that there are some people who will rave about how grea they are. To each their own :wink:
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Fasting won't hurt for a day or so...

If you need information on so called "Starvation Mode" read here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

If you fast your body will slow it's metabolic rate, however if you exercise (good sensible walk) you give your body the green light to burn calories... it will increase your metabolic rate and increase your weight loss.

If you are overweight, you really have no problem about entering starvation mode as you're carrying plenty to live off.

But the best advice I will give is get your portion size under control, your body with adapt and shed the weight.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Actually it takes a long time to go into starvation mode, definitely longer than a week. And starvation mode won't make you put on fat when you start eating again if you are still operating at a calorie deficit.

The reality is that, if you operate at a calorie deficit, you lose weight. Period. The question isn't whether you will lose weight or not (because you will), but whether you'll lose the weight the way you want to and also how fast you reach a point of diminishing returns.

The thing is, the bigger your calorie deficit is, the more your metabolism slows down. So you do reach a point of diminishing returns. However, every time we go on a diet, our metabolism slows down, even if we have a small deficit and are only losing 1-2 pounds a week. It's really more a matter of degree.

Here's an example:

Have a calorie deficit of 500 per day and you most likely will lose 1 lb. a week on average.

Have a calorie deficit of 1000 per day and you probably will lose 2 lb. a week on average. But some people start experiencing diminishing returns with even that deficit and may lose less. They'll still lose more than 1 lb. a week though.

Have a calorie deficit of 1500 and it's extremely unlikely that you'll lose 3 lb. a week on average. Most likely you'll only lose 2.25. So you are putting yourself through an awful lot of deprivation just to lose an extra quarter pound a week. For most people, it's not worth it.

Of course, this is very much a YMMV thing. If you are morbidly obese or super-morbidly obese, you have tons of fat stores and you can operate at a very extreme calorie deficit for a lot longer than someone who only has 20 lb. to lose. Plus everyone's metabolisms operate at different rates to start with and will feel the diminishing effects of increasing their calorie deficit at a different rate.

The main thing is, if you are eating less than 1000-1200 calories a day, you really need to be under a doctor's supervision because it's hard to get all the nutrients you need with those few calories so you need to be monitored for signs of malnutrition.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Ketosis is when your body looks to the stored fat cells, which are actually just stores of excess toxins & junk your body wasn't able to use when you consumed them, for energy.
    Fat is not just a storage place for "junk". There are also fat soluable vitamins (ADEK) and other good things in our fat.

And our body is designed to be self-cleansing. It rids itself of toxins all the time. There is no need to fast to do so.
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is when your body looks to the stored fat cells, which are actually just stores of excess toxins & junk your body wasn't able to use when you consumed them, for energy.
    Fat is not just a storage place for "junk". There are also fat soluable vitamins (ADEK) and other good things in our fat.

And our body is designed to be self-cleansing. It rids itself of toxins all the time. There is no need to fast to do so.

There are plenty of vitamins & mineral in our fat - this is why we are able to continue living when we are in ketosis. The average person has enough vitamins & minerals stored up in their bodies for 3-6 weeks without food. Some more & some less - just depends on the health of the individual.

The body is self-cleansing & self healing however we overburden our body with stress, lack of exercise, overeating, and eating improper foods. Fasting is away to allow the body to focus all the energy on healing. Fasting doesn't heal - the body heals more efficiently while fasting. If you change your diet, increase exercise, and lead a more balanced life then your body will do this all on its own but it might take quite some time to work it all out. However, with fasting you can do this quick & efficiently because your body is not expending all of its energy on digestion.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Fasting is away to allow the body to focus all the energy on healing.
    Fasting is a way to put great stress on your body by not giving it the nutrients it needs but making it go look for them in places it's not use to. This is one reason why religions that have fasting periods exempt children, the elderly, pregnant women and sick people from having to fast -- because it's too stressful for their bodies.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Gawd, there is an overwhelming amount of information in this thread, a lot of it contradictory. Unless someone here is a nutritionist or someone with a great deal of knowledge on the subject, I wouldn't read too deeply into opinions (no offense to anyone here, but we tend to give our opinions as they are facts). ;)

IF you are really interested in how fasting affects your body, google "intermittent fasting" - there is a load of info out there on it and some of it from reputable sources. Some say it aids/tricks the metabolism into change. Some say it does nothing.

All nutritionists will agree, however, that no matter how you cut it, it is calories in vs calories out that makes you lose weight. It really does not matter WHEN you eat the calories in the grand scheme of things. I myself will have days here and there I know I am eating out for dinner or something, so I won't eat much during the day (maybe a couple hundred calories, not exactly fasting) to allow myself the extra calories later in the day. I have been the same weight for 5 years so I am quite certain it hasn't put me into starvation mode or messed up my metabolism.

Honestly the term 'starvation mode' gets thrown around here A LOT.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    interesting posts.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is my recent experience. On Wed last week I weighed myself and was 136.5. I had just started working out in the mornings the day before and was setting up my goals.,

Wed night I was admitted to the hospital. The first day I hardly ate because of nerves. The second day I ate a cardiac diet of (blech) no salt, whole wheat breads, lots of fruits...but not much, again nerves.

Friday and Saturday I had nothing but IV fluids. Sunday, not too hungry so did not eat much........I would say from my experience I ate a TOTAL of 2000 calories over a 5 day period.

I will also say that the IV they gave me for the surgery "cleaned me out good" leaving nothing inside my digestive tract.

Sunday night at 9 pm.........136.5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the freaking button..........I was really laughing about it after all the talk of starvation mode being BS and cleansing being so good for your body. Sure did nothing for mine.

What DID help my body was being HEALTHY when I entered the hospital. I have healed wonderfully and feel so much better. I am eating my maint cals right now to help my body heal and have LOST 2 pounds!

I have no opinion on the question, but to lay out my experience and use it as you wish

:heart: Jeannie
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Couple of things from someone who has put in a tremendous amount of research on this subject, and I mean researching medical studies and peer reviewed articles, not someone who is trying to sell you something.

1) There is a HUGE difference between starvation mode and a starvation diet (I'm not going to explain it all, do your own research, it's all out there plain as day)

2) The Minnesota study (and yes, I read the whole couple hundred page report TWICE, ugh was it boring) does NOT say that if you exercise you can maintain a large calorie deficit. It was NOT done with an eye towards obese people (all the participants were all in good shape and ate an average of 1500 calories a day). And the results backed up most main stream thoughts on starvation mode, I.E. you significantly slow down your ability to lose fat while in it, you become distracted, lethargic, and lose significant strength. These were all plainly documented in the study.

3) Starvation mode begins after about 3 days, this isn't my opinion, this is cited in study after study. The consequences are compounded the longer you stay in it, and the larger the deficit. (check for yourself, you can go to www.ajcn.org and search for any study you like, you'll find plenty.)

4) The human body has a very good system for "flushing out toxins" and has no need for you to help it. This is of course subject to you being otherwise healthy and not having liver, kidney, or colon problems that require a MEDICALLY SUPERVISED version of a flush. Fasting to "flush toxins" has never been scientifically proven, and until they are, I won't agree with this as a valid treatment for eliminating poisons.

5) besides not having enough calories, fasting (real fasting, I'm not talking about eliminating one or more types of food) also deprives your body of vital micro nutrients. Supplements do NOT replace food because supplements are not digested the same way as food is, and most supplements have a low level of bio-availability. Even the really good ones don't give you the right amounts spread throughout the day that you need, and most don't even come close. That's why they're called supplements, they're designed to give you a small boost to reach the levels you need, not to replace your existing sources.

6) the people on here (and anywhere in the health and wellness community) that have credibility NEVER have said that you stop losing weight in starvation mode. this is very important to realize. What we say is you won't lose at the rate that is projected, and much of the weight you will lose is lean tissue mass, which is not what most of us want to do. Will some of the weight lost in starvation mode be fat? Sure it will, but much of it will also be muscle, including organ muscle, not what you want.

That's about all I have on this right now, I'm sure there are other things that I disagree with in this post but oh well.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Fasting is away to allow the body to focus all the energy on healing.
    Fasting is a way to put great stress on your body by not giving it the nutrients it needs but making it go look for them in places it's not use to. This is one reason why religions that have fasting periods exempt children, the elderly, pregnant women and sick people from having to fast -- because it's too stressful for their bodies.

Religions exempt those demographics for legal purposes, mainly in the US. In most religions, the elderly are the ones who fast and it is very important to them. Pregnant women and lactating women cannot fast because they have to grow a child who does not have a choice in the matter. Children are often exemt because they are still growing. Even the ancients understood the role of nutrition in growing bodies. In most religions, the first fast is like a right of passage into adulthood when the child is fully grown. The sick are exempt if they require medication.
    I've studied with Islamic and Christian Mystics, Yogi's, and Krshna Devotees. Fasting does not put stress on the body when done properly. During fasting, you are supposed to take it easy. I assure you, form personal experience, it is extremely relaxing and enjoyable. Exactly the opposite of stressful.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Couple of things from someone who has put in a tremendous amount of research on this subject, and I mean researching medical studies and peer reviewed articles, not someone who is trying to sell you something.

1) There is a HUGE difference between starvation mode and a starvation diet (I'm not going to explain it all, do your own research, it's all out there plain as day)

2) The Minnesota study (and yes, I read the whole couple hundred page report TWICE, ugh was it boring) does NOT say that if you exercise you can maintain a large calorie deficit. It was NOT done with an eye towards obese people (all the participants were all in good shape and ate an average of 1500 calories a day). And the results backed up most main stream thoughts on starvation mode, I.E. you significantly slow down your ability to lose fat while in it, you become distracted, lethargic, and lose significant strength. These were all plainly documented in the study.

3) Starvation mode begins after about 3 days, this isn't my opinion, this is cited in study after study. The consequences are compounded the longer you stay in it, and the larger the deficit. (check for yourself, you can go to www.ajcn.org and search for any study you like, you'll find plenty.)

4) The human body has a very good system for "flushing out toxins" and has no need for you to help it. This is of course subject to you being otherwise healthy and not having liver, kidney, or colon problems that require a MEDICALLY SUPERVISED version of a flush. Fasting to "flush toxins" has never been scientifically proven, and until they are, I won't agree with this as a valid treatment for eliminating poisons.

5) besides not having enough calories, fasting (real fasting, I'm not talking about eliminating one or more types of food) also deprives your body of vital micro nutrients. Supplements do NOT replace food because supplements are not digested the same way as food is, and most supplements have a low level of bio-availability. Even the really good ones don't give you the right amounts spread throughout the day that you need, and most don't even come close. That's why they're called supplements, they're designed to give you a small boost to reach the levels you need, not to replace your existing sources.

6) the people on here (and anywhere in the health and wellness community) that have credibility NEVER have said that you stop losing weight in starvation mode. this is very important to realize. What we say is you won't lose at the rate that is projected, and much of the weight you will lose is lean tissue mass, which is not what most of us want to do. Will some of the weight lost in starvation mode be fat? Sure it will, but much of it will also be muscle, including organ muscle, not what you want.

That's about all I have on this right now, I'm sure there are other things that I disagree with in this post but oh well.

Great post!