Ulcer Friendly Veggies

hiddensecant
hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Ok, doing a bit of research and I'm finding that most of my favorite veggies are on the "bad for ulcers" list (tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower ...). I'm also getting a lot of conflicting info; one site says to avoid garlic and another says garlic can speed up recovery.

So please tell me what can I eat?

EDIT: just ran into another site that says I can eat broccoli. WTH?

Replies

• Are you talking stomach ulcers? I have a stomach ulcer, and veggies don't really irritate it...
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Certain veggies I know of are acidic, like tomatoes, and that will hurt your ulcer. Ultimately, everyone's body reacts differently. I would start slow and try different things. Take notice what veggies effect you the most! It is likely, what works for others may not work for you.
  • hiddensecant
    Yes, stomach ulcer ... Ok, I guess that's why sites are telling me opposite things, grr.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Ghanie, I've found that anything acidic usually upsets mine. I can eat it all when it's not during a "flare up", but when it starts, I have to steer clear of anything that is acidic - oranges, anything citris, watermelon also bothers me, onions, tomatoes, broc & cauliflower, peppers (the heat bothers me then too)...yeah, those are off the top of my head. My problem is IBS (& ulcer) so if one flares up so does the other! :noway:

Hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    Yeah I can normally eat anything I want but the flu seems to have aggravated it and I'm trying to take care of it before it gets too bad.

Right now the plan is to go raw vegan for a week (avoiding tomatoes and other acidic fruit) ... lots of bananas and juiced cabbage/carrots for their healing properties. After a week I'll start to transition in steamed veggies, protein, then grains. Hopefully I'll be eating my broccoli and cauliflower again soon, hehe.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    I have had a wide range of stomach issues. I agree with what everyone has said on here. Tomatoes and tomato sauces really aggravate my stomach but I have never really had any issues with any other veggies. It is really jsut trial and error to find what affects you.
This discussion has been closed.