Low-Cal Snack Ideas??

Options
Minou2229
Minou2229 Posts: 8 Member
I'm a snacker! lol I love all of the 'bad-for-you' salty and sugary snacks. I've been steering clear of them lately, but I'm wondering what kind of low-cal substitutes other ppl are trying? Other than the obvious raw veggies and fruits type thing.
... I bought some Jell-O light... lol
I'd love to hear of any suggestions/recipes pls :)
Thx! :D

Replies

• LinziMillward
    LinziMillward Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, I love chocolate and cake too much and find them hard to resist.
    I have been trying to stay away from these lately, I eat healthy and go to the gym 3/4 times a week and yet I still don't lose weight.
    Any snack ideas would be useful .... I get peckish between meals and being at work I don't get to eat dinner until around 7 to 8pm maybe later from 12pm lunch
  • Enic03
    Enic03 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking specifically for low-cal look for what will keep you full until your next meal. I'll freeze some grapes as they taste like "sugary treats" and I eat less since they are frozen. Look to raw almonds for satiety or pistachios that have shells that way you have to do alittle work to get them open, resulting in not shoving your face with them(seems to work for me :) )
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Salty - Air Popped Popcorn, or you can buy the Low Cal Microwave Popcorn Bags. Fat Free Pretzels aren't too bad if you don't eat too many.

Sugary-The Reduced Fat Chocolate Puddings are good. Although if you want to keep the calories low, I know people that buy the diet Cool Whip (now they have flavors) & just eat a spoonful when they get a craving.

Usually, the healthier you eat, the more the desire for the junk food goes away & healthy foods satisfy so much better. If you're tempted, just try to find something a little bit healthier than whatever you're craving. If you do that each time, it should get a little better every day. :-) Keep up the good work!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    fruit, veg, popcorn, nakd bars, skinny cow products.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt with one TSP of ground flaxseed and 1/4 cup blueberries

1 slice whole wheat bread with one TSP peanut butter (no low fat, it has too much sugar)

1/4 cup of Mixed Nuts and dried fruit ( Almonds, walnuts, dried cranberry and dried cherry)

Cottage cheese (low fat)

1/2 baked sweet potato with skin
  • alicevick3
    Options
    I bought a head of iceberg lettuce for when I'm not hungry, just want to chew something. Not many nutrients, but no calories to speak of either and it does crunch just a bit. I don't use dressing, just peal a leaf and eat. Satisfies my "mindless" eating impulse.
  • studcutter
    Options
    I have been using no salt pretzel minis and raw almonds so far- used to eat cookies and donuts for snacks- no more!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If I'm snacking, it's because I'm hungry, so instead of going for low calorie snacks I have something substantial, with some protein, carbs and fat, like an egg, nuts, dark chocolate, cheese, hummus, yogurt, a few crackers. Sometimes I'll even have an entire light meal as a snack if I've been exercising a lot.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Nuts, pickles (sodium sucks, but I find the acidity cuts cravings), light cheese sticks, popcorn, yogurt,
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If I'm snacking, it's because I'm hungry, so instead of going for low calorie snacks I have something substantial, with some protein, carbs and fat, like an egg, nuts, dark chocolate, cheese, hummus, yogurt, a few crackers. Sometimes I'll even have an entire light meal as a snack if I've been exercising a lot.

^^ THIS!! I eat when I'm hungry, also. Especially on days I work out alot. If you are hungry eat something with protein to keep you fuller, longer.
  • ej_glen
    ej_glen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Another vote for popcorn - it really helps when I have a sweet craving. Also, the Nakd range is absolutely delicious and made with dried fruits and nuts.

My biggest saviour has been almonds - I always have a small tub with 1/4 cup of almonds on me and pick at those while I'm in work. They're surprisingly filling too.
  • frozen grapes are SOOO yummy!

I've been on a quaker rice cake + PB2 + banana kick lately. Thats really yummy. Grapes with cheese and nuts is also a good well rounded snack. Protein shakes (blender bottle + 1 scoop protein + almond milk) is really quick and easy and you have a lot of options with flavors and what not. Fruit/Veggie with nut butter, greek yogurt,
  • ashleykenny8
    ashleykenny8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of snacking as well. If I'm craving something bad for me I'll look up an alternative recipe from Hungry Girl. THere are tons of low calorie alternatives on her website.
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I am a snacker too. I keep the following on hand for my snack times...
    All are at or below 100 calories.

Healthy Choice Frozen Greek Yogurt
    Pretzles
    Celery Sticks
    A couple different kinds of baked crackers and eat them with Laughing Cow light cheeses
    Skinny Cow chocolates
    A few slices of deli meat (my favorite is Boars Head Buffalo Chicken!)
    Frigo Light Mozzarella String Cheese Stick
    There are tons of choices for 100 Calorie Packs- cookies, chips, crackers.
  • slfordstthomas
    slfordstthomas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker! lol I love all of the 'bad-for-you' salty and sugary snacks. I've been steering clear of them lately, but I'm wondering what kind of low-cal substitutes other ppl are trying? Other than the obvious raw veggies and fruits type thing.
    ... I bought some Jell-O light... lol
    I'd love to hear of any suggestions/recipes pls :)
    Thx! :D

This is my favorite! In case you have any of the "full" servings lying around. :)
    http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2009/06/10-calorie-snacks
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I am a big fan of snacking as well. If I'm craving something bad for me I'll look up an alternative recipe from Hungry Girl. THere are tons of low calorie alternatives on her website.

An even better site for recipes is www.skinnytaste.com!!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Veggies and hummus or lite dressing, a piece of fruit, 1 or 1/2 piece of whole wheat toast with a tsp of cream cheese and berries, a spoonful of peanutbutter, a skinny caramel machiato (100 cals!), some lunch meat...basically something that will fill me up because of the protein or the volume. Also sometimes I will have half a serving of cereal with milk.
  • celb500
    celb500 Posts: 76
    Options
    salt and vinegar jumbo rice cakes...i swear by them!
  • calmanza2
    calmanza2 Posts: 12
    Options
    My favorite new 100 calorie snack - 8 reduced fat wheat thins with a wedge of the light laughing cow cheese.
    I also am now a fan of hummus with carrot chips. Also very satisfying and low calorie! :tongue:
  • maggiemaydiet
    Options
    Peanut Butter Cheerios!