Couch potato to triathlon training team!

Options
Hello all,

I have just finished the C25k program and am running a 5k in about 35 minutes. See my profile for my story, but in short, I am "in training" for a new life. I am hoping to build up to a triathlon in August, but suck at swimming. I am looking for diet buddies as well as people who would like to train with me. I run 5 days/week and lift and least every other day. Hoping to add biking in in the next few weeks as soon as I can find a solution for daycare. Join my triathlon in training team!

I hope to get to know many of you!

Replies

• gstacey82
    gstacey82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Heyy! I'm currently doing the C210k programme and I'm loving it! I had to take a couple of weeks off as I had shin splints so got on my exercise bike instead and loved that (It hadn't been used since I bought it 3 yrs ago!)
    I've now decided to start triathlons, however like you suck at swimming :( This is mainly due to a shoulder injury so I'm working with the physio and as soon as he gives me the go ahead I'll be starting that part of my training programme.

I'll join Triathlon in Training team! lol
  • iamDawnAnderson
    iamDawnAnderson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been toying with the idea of doing a sprint Tri in August. I'm giving myself this month to decide for certain. I not only suck at swimming, I don't even know how! I just started swim classes on Thursday(eek!) I already bike/spin on a regular basis and I'm starting C25K training again after rehabbing some IT band/piriformis issues from last year. Im trying to work on what nutrtion needs to look like for this endeavor too. I'd love the virtual training team!
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey, we're of a like mind! Though I may be a tad bit more "seasoned". Take a look at my profile, it's open. I finished C25K last fall and ran the 5K with the missus and stepdaughter. Winters are hard in in the mountains of western PA and my running days were limited. I am back to training now though, with a target of the Pittsburgh Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon in August. Actually headed out to pick up a bicycle helmet today and will cross train on my bike as well. Hard part is swimming because I really don't have easy access to a pool except for a local college one that is a half hour away. After the 1/2 marathon, I plan to add swimming with a triathlon next spring. It's a year away, I know, but I have other races (running and biking) planned in the meantime. Anyone wants to, add me!

Oh, BTW, (just looked at your profile) we own property in Cape Coral FL (Fort Myers area) and hope to move there in the next year or two. Training will be a lot easier there!
  • AdrianeWilliamsTN
    Options
    I just decided a couple of weeks ago to train for a triathlon on 10/13/13. I start a C25K program in two weeks. And I'm joining the Y for its cycling class. I live very near a trail so I'll be doing long rides on weekends as I build up strength and endurance in class. I have a 12-week goal of running 3 miles 3 x week and cycling 10 miles 3 x week. After that I'm getting a swimming coach. I too am a very poor (beginner-beginner) swimmer. I WILL register for the triathlon at the 12-week point WHEN I reach my goals.

In short, yes, let's have a virtual team. Will you be setting up a separate board for it? How shall we proceed? There may be a way for me to do this by myself, but I don't want to go that route. I have found a friend who will train for the same event, but having a virtual community would be wonderful.

Adriane
  • duckey1
    duckey1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm really new MFP and the boards. I'm your typical middle aged house wife who has put family before self and I'm now trying to break the cycle. I am trying to decide if I have enough guts to register for an express triathlon ( 300m swim, 8.3 mile bike, 3.1 mile run). It's not until June, but I have basically been inactive for the past 10 years. I found a training schedule for beginners and it looks doable. I think I will train for two weeks and see how my times are. I'm not looking to come in first place, but I would like to finish without tossing my cookies. Any input would be appreciated.
  • MsMetabolic
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm really new MFP and the boards. I'm your typical middle aged house wife who has put family before self and I'm now trying to break the cycle. I am trying to decide if I have enough guts to register for an express triathlon ( 300m swim, 8.3 mile bike, 3.1 mile run). It's not until June, but I have basically been inactive for the past 10 years. I found a training schedule for beginners and it looks doable. I think I will train for two weeks and see how my times are. I'm not looking to come in first place, but I would like to finish without tossing my cookies. Any input would be appreciated.

Hi -
    I have also agreed to my first Try-a-Tri, in August this summer. Mine is a 375 m swim, 10 k bike, and 2.5 k run. I am 44 years old, 5'2", and 220 lbs :sad: I have a training partner which I'm sure will help my motivation. I'd love to add you as a friend so we can encourage each other? I'm also interested in the training schedule for beginners you found: I've been reading a couple books from my local library, but they make it sound so technical!

Also - it occurred to me that after training for two weeks, why not focus more on how you feel and less on what your times are? After all, your goal is to finish without tossing your cookies, so perhaps times aren't the most important factor?:tongue:
  • duckey1
    Options
    Hi,
    Here is the link to the training schedule I found.
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/training-schedules/8-weeks-to-your-first-mini-triathlon-beginner-plan/?page=2
    It starts out really slow and builds up. I think I might mix the days around and make Sunday my rest day. My sister is training for an ironman and says she will train with me, but I have a feeling my entire workout will amount to her warm up.
    I am not sure how to add as friends, but if you send me a request I will accept.
  • McTucker1981
    Options
    Hello,

I too am in training for a triathlon. Recently completed a marathon and decided the next goal will be a triathlon. Running is in the bag, biking is also ok as I do a lot of spinning and biking at the gym. Swimming is my weak point as I havent done any serious swimming since high school.

Will add you so we can share tips training tips.
  • duckey1
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I need to buy a bike, but they are expensive and there are so many types out there. Does anyone know of a comfortable bike to ride if you are overweight. I would hate to spend $1000 on something that I will not use because it's uncomfortable.
    Thanks
  • Gammon23
    Gammon23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I need to buy a bike, but they are expensive and there are so many types out there. Does anyone know of a comfortable bike to ride if you are overweight. I would hate to spend $1000 on something that I will not use because it's uncomfortable.
    Thanks

I would recommend finding your local bike shop that can set you up with a proper fitting. As far as I know(I just got into cycling last year) there is no specific bike for someone who is overweight. Getting set up with a bike that fits properly is the first step and from there you can look into getting a different saddle that may be more comfortable. Shopping around and getting a proper fit is very important. As you said, spending $1,000+ on something you won't use is not something you want to have happen!
    I definitely recommend getting a bike though, so find that bike shop, get that fit, and let us know how it goes!
  • Gammon23
    Gammon23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I took part in my first sprint tri last July. I only did the bike leg for our men's relay team and would like to do the whole thing by myself this year. I did two 5k's last year without any run training and managed to do quite well, but am well aware that I would not be able to get away with this if I'm to do the entire thing. I've started running and just got my bike out of storage this week. I know I will be able to do the bike leg no problem and the run shouldn't be too bad either, but I'm worried about the swim. We still have ice on our lakes right now and the local tri is 3 months away. I'll find a way to do it!
    Also, I'm wondering how I should balance my running and cycling. If anyone has any good plans I would love to hear about them!
    Would love to receive some tips and motivation as well as encourage others so feel free to add!
  • Rodamort
    Rodamort Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Really would like to do the local Sprint Triathlon here in my home town in September, but have got to find some motivation to keep me going on a daily basis... I tend to do 2-3 workouts a week, but need to be more consistent. Would like to find some others that are motivated. Add me to your friends list or if there is a group we can join, just point the way! I'm sure I can do the 12 mile bike ride and 5k run, but the swimming pool doesn't open around here until June... that will still give me 3 months of training and I'll need every bit of it. Still trying to drop another 60 lbs or so.
  • Rodamort
    Rodamort Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks

Definitely hit up a bike shop. I got a bike a few years ago when I was well over 300 lbs. More of a mountain bike, but I found that if you tell them your concerns, they should definitely be able to answer your questions. If they can't, or if they try selling you a 1000 bike... find another shop. I think I paid 400 for mine and it was so worth the investment! Also the type of tire you get will help with your ride as well. I started with a hybrid, between a pure mountain bike (nobby tire) and a street tire, but after getting down almost 100 lbs have found that a road tire works better for me now.. and I'm not worried about popping it from my weight. ;) Good luck!
  • duckey1
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm borrowing a bike to start out training. I will take it to the bike shop and have them fit me. This way I will know if I want to the same type of a different one. I'm looking forward to training. I'm starting my 8 week training today. I'm hoping by following it, I will be able to finish an express tri in June. It's a little shorter than a sprint, so it will be a good start.

Rodamort- I never thought about being unable to train year round. I live in california, so there is always a pool open. I feel for you.
  • iamDawnAnderson
    Options
    Mountaingirl2 must be too busy training! ;-) There are a couple of triathlon groups already on MFP (just go to the Groups tab and do a search). I don't use the Groups function that much, so I'm sending friend requests. :)

I've been doing 6 days/wk working out (3 days C25K program, 2 days strength, 1 day yoga, 2 days swim class, 1 spin class) for the past 2 weeks. And I'm really feeling that today (so tired!). If I can get through the next 2 weeks I'm signing up for my race.
  • duckey1
    Options
    Okay, so I started my triathlon training this week. Day one, biking, was great! Day two, running, lets just say I hit a bump in the road! It's amazing how much more it hurts to fall as an adult. Profile pic is my knee. I think I will take the rest of the week off and regroup. I am going to use the treadmill for running, until I get more comfortable. I don't want to give up, but it's tempting. How is everyone elses training coming?
  • bridgetmarie101
    bridgetmarie101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This sounds perfect for me too! I've never been a huge fan of running, but I'm trying to establish a relationship with it again. My mom wants me to do a 5K with her in June, which would be helpful in motivating me. I recently bought a bike that I'm kind of in love with, and my husband has become a huge fan of biking and is finding us all these awesome places to ride. And I've always loved swimming, so am starting to join the old folks at the pool at 6 am before work a couple of days a week. What kind of plans are you guys finding that is working for you? Do I really need a formal routine? My main sticking point on a tri is that I am terrified of swimming in open water - any help with that?
  • iamDawnAnderson
    Options
    duckey1 - my training was on hold this week. Totally messed up my back in yoga class (I'm embarrassed to type that). A trip to the chiro and some rest, and I'm back at it this week. My run Monday was good, took a break yesterday from swimming, but back to strength training and a run today. Sorry about your knee!

Bridgetmarie1 - I'm no expert by any means, but I would think some type of program - even if you make it up yourself - will help you to build endurance safely which is really what a tri is about, right?! My swim is in a pool, but I've been told nothing but practice will help with the open water swims o_O!
  • duckey1
    Options
    Thanks Dawn- My entire left leg is swollen and bruised now. The doctor took x-rays and said he doesn't see any obvious breaks, so that is good. I think I will stick to swimming for a week or two, until the bruising goes away.

I have given up on trying to do the June tri and am shooting for one on September or October.
  • odylynn
    odylynn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I did my first super-sprint triathlon (half of a sprint) in Aug 2011 and my first two sprint distances last year (June and Aug). I have fallen in love with this sport. I am currently training for a sprint distance in June and my first olympic distance in August (Not sure what I was thinking!). I have yet to find other newbies to share the experience with. It's awesome to find this group! I am a "slow fat triathlete" and would like to lose weight and improve on my race time. I seem to have hit a plateau with my weight loss.

"Triathlon for the Every Woman" is a great book for triathletes, especially women.