1 tbs of red onion 7 grams of sugar????

Options
cai1961
cai1961 Posts: 59 Member
Can anyone confirm this, I just started with MFP and entered red onion(approx. 1 TBS) in the food section and it indicated that it was 7 grams of sugar!! Is this right???

Replies

• samairon
    samairon Posts: 46
    Options
    You really don't need to worry about tracking sugar unless you're diabetic. Just make sure it comes from whole foods, not processed.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Where are you finding that in the database? The few entries I looked at showed about 6g sugar per 100g onion.
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Livestrong says 6.8 grams for a cup. So yeah, there is sugar, but not that much. According to Livestrong:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/436956-carbohydrates-and-fiber-in-onions/
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    GOOD LORD are you seriously obsessing over sugar in an onion? It's things like this that cause people to obsess over stupid things and they are always the ones who plateau and can't figure out why. You're being WAY to obsessive about it. It's an onion not a bag of doritos, you're fine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    yikes, double post :tongue: But but it said double click....
  • cmriverside
    Options
    A lot of the food is entered by members and if you don't check it it often is not what you want it to be, or just plain incorrect.

If you use the database here, always use the entries in the database that have been entered by the MFP Staff. They are entered correctly, and they give options of ounces or grams, and often other measurements like cups or tablespoons.

You can find these by looking for the entries in the database that have NO ASTERISK ( * ) in front of them.

When it comes to any fruit or vegetable, the easiest way is to enter "Avocado raw" - if you always enter "raw" it cuts the list way down and makes it much easier to find the no asterisk ones. That applies to meats, too.

Also, if you enter your own food, or EDIT any foods they will then appear with no asterisk and can be found quickly in MY FOODS.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound right for a TBSP. I do a lot of cross checking on the web and use the most common nutrition info. Veggies are a bit tough because most don't have nutrition info, but I get them also from Trader Joes and some of their stuff does. I usually don't use the entries from other people just because I have found them to be inaccurate a lot of the time. I have built up my own database, it usually just happens the longer you are one here lol. Hope this helps :)
  • cai1961
    Options
    In my food diary when I added 1/3 of a cup of red onion to my eggs, it indicates 10 calories and 7 grams of fat. I do look at sugar and sodium. I'm trying to follow Jorge Cruise and the 15 grams of sugar plan. It's very hard but I think it's 15 grams regardless if its from fruits, vegetables or processed. It's just a guideline.
  • cai1961
    Options
    I meant 7 grams of sugar not fat. No I'm not obsessing I would just like to know if the info is correct!!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I just had a grapefruit and nuts for breakfast = fail

i would already be over on my sugar on that plan
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Yes, see my long post above for how to check for correct entries.

Good luck.

edit due to your correction
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine a 1/3 of an onion alone, raw, would have that much fat.

edit- just saw your correction. There's not tht much sugar in onion.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's not correct. The database is compiled by people like you and me and mistakes are often made.

I'd also not worry about your sugar intake unless you have a health reason for keeping it low. Just make sure your overall carbs fit with the macros you are aiming for instead. Good that you are looking at the macros, though, and having a think about what's in your food :)
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    A lot of the food is entered by members and if you don't check it it often is not what you want it to be, or just plain incorrect.

If you use the database here, always use the entries in the database that have been entered by the MFP Staff. They are entered correctly, and they give options of ounces or grams, and often other measurements like cups or tablespoons.

You can find these by looking for the entries in the database that have NO ASTERISK ( * ) in front of them.

When it comes to any fruit or vegetable, the easiest way is to enter "Avocado raw" - if you always enter "raw" it cuts the list way down and makes it much easier to find the no asterisk ones. That applies to meats, too.

Also, if you enter your own food, or EDIT any foods they will then appear with no asterisk and can be found quickly in MY FOODS.

Thanks, this was helpful.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    In my food diary when I added 1/3 of a cup of red onion to my eggs, it indicates 10 calories and 7 grams of fat. I do look at sugar and sodium. I'm trying to follow Jorge Cruise and the 15 grams of sugar plan. It's very hard but I think it's 15 grams regardless if its from fruits, vegetables or processed. It's just a guideline.

That is not a lot of sugar - I'd be over after eating an apple.

I wouldn't worry about sugar from fruit and veg - your diet will be very low in these if you only have 15g of sugar a day :noway:
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup cooked is 3 grams of sugar.
    This is per the USDA and you can find more info here:
    http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/facts/hhpfacts/New_HHPFacts/Veges/HHFS_ONIONS_RED_F185_Final.pdf
  • cai1961
    Options
    Thanks everyone