Numb foot when running

Options
I've been going to the gym now for about 3 months. And when using the cross trainer or running on the treadmill I get a numbness in the ball of my foot and speads to my toes. Does anybody have any ideas why this could be happening and what I could do to prevent this?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would check the obvious, your shoes, do they fit right, give your toes enough breathing room when you impact on your foot, my wife had a similar problem and a new pair of shoes fixed the problem
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym now for about 3 months. And when using the cross trainer or running on the treadmill I get a numbness in the ball of my foot and speads to my toes. Does anybody have any ideas why this could be happening and what I could do to prevent this?

As soon as I got new shoes this has almost quit. It happened to me a LOT when I first started walking. It's actually pretty common...much like the 'bruised' toenail on my left foot.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Your feet can swell during exercise, you might need a bigger size in shoes.
  • mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    Options
    this happens to me too.

I read the following on the Jillian Michaels website. You can sign up for her free emails - I've gotten a lot of good ideas and exercise tips.

Do You Have the Right Shoes?
    Sometimes people complain about numbness in their toes during workouts. If you're experiencing this, it's most likely because you need bigger shoes. The shoes you wear when you work out should be a half size larger than your normal size, because the feet tend to swell during exercise. The extra space in the shoe will create a comfort zone without screwing up your foot mechanics.

I posted this on the same topic ten months ago... it's pretty common. On the other thread, someone had the suggestion of loosening your laces. It couldn't hurt, right?

Good Luck!
  • ChristineMcGrae
    Options
    I've also heard a good thing to try is to not put the laces through the most bottom notches, this allows for more space for your toes.
  • kellz510
    kellz510 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I'll try loosening the laces on my next run ;o)