Couch to 6k in 4.5 weeks?

Options
I've heard a lot of talk about the C25K program, and was just taking a look at it. Sounds reasonable... problem is it a 9 week program! I just signed up for a 6k (yeah.. 6... not sure why 6 and not 5) race that is on April 28th. I have not been running at all in quite some time... like... months to a year or so? I have run some 5ks in the past, and even a 7 mile race on two separate occasions (although those two involved some walking for sure!). I have been pretty active in general this year so far... able to do 30+ minutes of cardio on elliptical or bike no problem, able to do hour long Zumba or WERQ classes fine with good intensity, and just have 2 days left of 30DS.

So.... while I have been relatively active, I've not done any running recently and have never been a serious runner. In the past I've been able to run an entire 5k in about 31 minutes, but I've never trained properly and am always dead by the end.

Basically I'm just looking for tips for the best way to go about this? I was planning on starting out with running a mile for my first few runs and see how that goes and then gradually bump that up over the next few weeks. Is 3x a week still a good goal?

Replies

• JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've restarted at C25K at Week 4 several times and have done fairly well. At week 7-8, I did a 5K and was able to run the whole thing (no, actually, I think I took two short resting walks) and lived to tell about it. Actually, the profile pic of me is from that race. It's do-able. You may not get your record time, but a 5K is for just about anyone, and at least you'd have your "starter" one back under your belt for the season. Just see if the route has hills or not and adjust your training accordingly. Go with what your body is telling you in terms of intensity. If you are already fit, you probably will acclimate fairly fast. May want new insoles if you've beat your running shoes to death since your last run, your knees will thank you. Hope that helps!
  • hebehrens
    hebehrens Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts! I'm pretty sure I could run the whole 6k right now without any training, but I'd feel like death by the end (have done it with a 5k before anyway). I'm just hoping that in the next month I'll be able to build up a bit more endurance so I can run it more comfortably and potentially with a reasonable time.

I luckily do have fairly new running shoes (ASICS) that I'm excited to give a try. I will probably look for some inserts though, since I think after wearing them a bit I want just a touch more arch support (I have poorly pronated feet). I'm a physical therapy student, so luckily I do have a good idea at least of proper form and how not to overdo it. I will keep an eye on my knees especially, since they tend to act up with too much running (but the arch supports should help a bit with that as well).

I also think that regardless I will do no more than 3 days a week for now of actual running - alternating most likely with strength training or possibly some classes at my gym.
  • camibadman
    Options
    You will be able to rock it-- no problem. If you're already involved in that much physical activity, you'll be fine. Not to say that it won't be difficult, especially if you've never really been a runner, but you have the experience. I wouldn't train any less than 3 days a week-- I might even shoot for 4 if your schedule allows. 4.5 weeks will go by fast and you want to have as much trianing as possible.

If you're able to run a mile, shoot for 1.25. I always try for .25 mile farther than what my comfort level is (so, if I set out to do 3 miles, I really try and do 3.25 to really push myself). Don't try for speed, but build your endurance instead. That will help with your "dead" feeling at the end.

You'll do great!!!
  • hebehrens
    Options
    Thanks! I'm honestly not sure what distance i'm capable of comfortably running right now - won't know until I go out and give it a shot!

Thanks for the tips. :)
  • hamonk
    hamonk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    WHat do you use for inserts??
  • hebehrens
    Options
    I do not have inserts yet. I'll have to go and grab some sometime this week. Do you have any recommendations?

Just completed run #1. I mapped out 1 mile ahead of time, but was feeling good by the end so I kept going and ended up at 1.45 miles. Feel really good, minus my stomach bothering me a bit (which is unrelated to running, just haven't been feeling great the last couple of days). I used to try to run with such a big stride and would tire myself out quickly. Tried shorter strides today, and i think it really helped. I'm sure being active and working hard in general this year so far has helped a lot too!

Crazy now to think about how much I dreaded having to do the yearly 1 mile run for fitness tests in high school. I could barely finish it and I always felt so awful by the end. Feeling pretty good about myself. :)